Brexit & Rugby

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Brexit & Rugby

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
rooster wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:do we throw in the Trumpocalypse for the collapse of western society or just the economy tanking which will have huge implications for rugby too?
Well bang goes the PRO12 idea of heading over there, good job the Irish team got out of Trump hotels before the election, they could have ended up as collateral damage in a protest
pro12 going there was dead in the water

if Trump cuts US corporate tax rates sponsorship could well go down and the fancy seats at Landsdowne Road could start to get empty
They will still need base in Europe to keep duty charges off goods sold within the eu
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Tax rates aren't really the issue. It's paying tax at all.

Apple didn't pay% corporate tax at our rate, they laundered international money through our regime and paid 0.000000x % tax.

In return for the EU imposed payment of €13 that Tim Crook is never going to pay Deutsche Bank were fined €14Bn, but there is some talk that Trump won't want that to stand. I'm not sure about that he has no problem f%~king his business partners over.

Whoever was elected the double Irish in a Dutch sandwich shenanigans was doomed anyway. And rightly so. We were stealing from Asia for a relatively small bribe. Not that the EU actually cares about that. But the US is rightly looking at ways to get its companies to repatriate money and invest it in the US. Luck with that.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

simonokeeffe wrote:
rooster wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:do we throw in the Trumpocalypse for the collapse of western society or just the economy tanking which will have huge implications for rugby too?
Well bang goes the PRO12 idea of heading over there, good job the Irish team got out of Trump hotels before the election, they could have ended up as collateral damage in a protest
pro12 going there was dead in the water

if Trump cuts US corporate tax rates sponsorship could well go down and the fancy seats at Landsdowne Road could start to get empty
I saw that one of his advisors was talking about bringing the jobs back from Ireland and eh France the red headed step child of FDI.

The reality is thaey need operations on this side of the Atlantic. My Sister worked for one MNC. After she helped setup and sell a cloud service the MNC thaought it a good idea to pack it's bags and pull back to Palo Alto leaving only a skelton crew. They were back within 18 months. Basically you can't shift any kindof volume of goods or adequately deliver a service from a couple of timezones away without bodies on the ground. It's also cheaper to hire over here and easier to bring in the skills from across the world.

Ending the derogation on repatriating foreign earnings would be a boon to the tax payer and probably would boost investment in the US but cutting taxes I doubt it.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

to expand on my nightmare/having read more on it, f all companies if any will jump ship, its going to be harder to attract more though

but main sense of doom is if he slashes taxes (and provision of healthcare) for companies, individuals, capital gains etc then US economy at best will be brittle as hell and the dollar will be much weaker and thus knock on effects

my point is big companies are going to be very cagey about investments, sponsorship, long term deals, etc over this AND Brexit. Its an awful lot of economic uncertainty. ITV are already saying their advertising take is significantly down post Brexit
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

simonokeeffe wrote:ITV are already saying their advertising take is significantly down post Brexit
That's most likely to do with the utter drivel they put out and how few people watch it, rather than the easy managerial cop out of Brexit.
Anyone But New Zealand
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

FLIP wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:ITV are already saying their advertising take is significantly down post Brexit
That's most likely to do with the utter drivel they put out and how few people watch it, rather than the easy managerial cop out of Brexit.
well you can say that about most free tv channels
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Couple of the banks in London looking at splitting their business between Dublin and Munich so perhaps Dublin can pick up some financial jobs
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

rooster wrote:Couple of the banks in London looking at splitting their business between Dublin and Munich so perhaps Dublin can pick up some financial jobs
Scuttlebutt in FS circles is Dublin is looking for first pick of the banking passport business in return for not getting too fighty over the border. What was a genuine belief that Dublin should be working to ameliorate as much as possible the effects of Brexit on NI has turned to "f%~k you Arlene, you're just too big a pain in the hole."
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
rooster wrote:Couple of the banks in London looking at splitting their business between Dublin and Munich so perhaps Dublin can pick up some financial jobs
Scuttlebutt in FS circles is Dublin is looking for first pick of the banking passport business in return for not getting too fighty over the border. What was a genuine belief that Dublin should be working to ameliorate as much as possible the effects of Brexit on NI has turned to "f%~k you Arlene, you're just too big a pain in the hole."
Can't disagree with Arlene being a big pain in the hole, really pissed off at the way she is behaving about the border etc
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

rooster wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Can't disagree with Arlene being a big pain in the hole, really pissed off at the way she is behaving about the border etc
Foster seems genuinely, objectively, stupid. Just, not gifted with brainpower. The Brick Tamland of NI politics.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

bonzo wrote:
rooster wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Scuttlebutt in FS circles is Dublin is looking for first pick of the banking passport business in return for not getting too fighty over the border. What was a genuine belief that Dublin should be working to ameliorate as much as possible the effects of Brexit on NI has turned to "f%~k you Arlene, you're just too big a pain in the hole."
Foster seems genuinely, objectively, stupid. Just, not gifted with brainpower. The Brick Tamland of NI politics.
The really disappointing thing is she has brainpower but seems to have locked it in a little DUP cupboard, very disappointed also in Ulster Unionists as they campaigned to stay in EU and now are going to vote to go as they say the majority want to go, true but if you campaign against something you should stick by your first convictions.
Whole thing is a mess and if I was 30 years younger I would be away to Canada.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Arlene Foster is a bitter person who isn't too fond of Ireland but she isn't stupid at all.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

neiliog93 wrote:Arlene Foster is a bitter person who isn't too fond of Ireland but she isn't stupid at all.
Gosh that's even worse than I thought. The bitterness has to be so strong for her to lead her party into voting for Brexit and then denying there's even an issue
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

rooster wrote: Whole thing is a mess and if I was 30 years younger I would be away to Canada.
I spent a lot of time up there when you were 30 years younger and it was seriously focking bleak. Nowhere near that level now no matter what happens. Did you leave and come back? :)
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

On the positive side - If Burt is being paid in Euros, he might just want to stay around a little longer - until 2019 maybe.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

So I see The Donald had his first visit from an English politician and its Farrage, Jesus wept how is the world getting so messed up that a lickspittle and hate filled little man like Farrage continues to get such coverage and be held with such import.

Is he even still an MEP should he not have resigned post Brexit vote if he fells so strongly on Europe.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TerenureJim wrote:So I see The Donald had his first visit from an English politician and its Farrage, Jesus wept how is the world getting so messed up that a lickspittle and hate filled little man like Farrage continues to get such coverage and be held with such import.

Is he even still an MEP should he not have resigned post Brexit vote if he fells so strongly on Europe.
Re Farage resigning - Kind of agree with you there but like Merkel I'd have a few conditions namely that Jean Claude Juncker and Francois Hollande joined him in the departure lounge. Ah sure why not go for broke, Merkel herself too.
Mind you Angela and Francois will be shortly getting the boot anyway.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Nige gets his full pension from Europe if he serves out his term. So he signalled that was what he was going to do.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:Nige gets his full pension from Europe if he serves out his term. So he signalled that was what he was going to do.
Forgot that condition, I must be slipping.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

bonzo wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Arlene Foster is a bitter person who isn't too fond of Ireland but she isn't stupid at all.
Gosh that's even worse than I thought. The bitterness has to be so strong for her to lead her party into voting for Brexit and then denying there's even an issue
There are those who would maintain the DUP decision to back Brexit was due to the Ulster Unionists getting their speak in first to vote remain and they couldn't be seen to follow them, quite a proportion of advisors to DUP were in the remain camp, I think Wright the busman was the main Brexit camp supporter and he has made a fortune due to the currency fall as he has a lot of foreign deals done on old rates.