Brexit & Rugby

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

rooster
Seán Cronin

Re: Brexit & Rugby

Post by rooster »

johng wrote:
rooster wrote: Whole thing is a mess and if I was 30 years younger I would be away to Canada.
I spent a lot of time up there when you were 30 years younger and it was seriously focking bleak. Nowhere near that level now no matter what happens. Did you leave and come back? :)
Never left the place but honestly wish I had now, you know things actually looked better when we were killing each other than the present phoney government we have.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

TerenureJim wrote:So I see The Donald had his first visit from an English politician and its Farrage, Jesus wept how is the world getting so messed up that a lickspittle and hate filled little man like Farrage continues to get such coverage and be held with such import.

Is he even still an MEP should he not have resigned post Brexit vote if he fells so strongly on Europe.
its clever/evil marketing/branding; the establishment masquarading as anti-establishment
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

rooster wrote:
johng wrote:
rooster wrote: Whole thing is a mess and if I was 30 years younger I would be away to Canada.
I spent a lot of time up there when you were 30 years younger and it was seriously focking bleak. Nowhere near that level now no matter what happens. Did you leave and come back? :)
Never left the place but honestly wish I had now, you know things actually looked better when we were killing each other than the present phoney government we have.
By the sounds of things you are suffering from a severe case of the DTs.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Oldschool wrote:
rooster wrote:
johng wrote: I spent a lot of time up there when you were 30 years younger and it was seriously focking bleak. Nowhere near that level now no matter what happens. Did you leave and come back? :)
By the sounds of things you are suffering from a severe case of the DTs.
Nope, if you look at the bunch of so called politicians up here they are all interested in their own little empires and won't take hard decisions to sort thinks out properly, the way it is set up their is no real accountability and the same goes for the civil servants running the show in the background, the place is rotten to the core and money is wasted all round the place.

Anyway, the Brexit thing could well go belly up before 2023, the big factors I think will be transport and the trickier one of hotel beds as far as the RWC bid goes.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Widely reported this morning that the British government still don't have a plan for Brexit, and that they need 30k more civil servants to help out when they do..which sounds like a good plan for the Sir Humphrey's.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

But I thought Brexit would get rid of bureacrats?

And sovereignty something something make Britain white again.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Still reckon they haven't a clue what they're doing.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:But I thought Brexit would get rid of bureacrats?

And sovereignty something something make Britain white again.
To a man/woman I'd say the British permanent government did want Brexit.
However there is a silver lining in it for them - More empire building and I don't mean British Empire.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

offshorerules wrote:Still reckon they haven't a clue what they're doing.
Does anyone? - I haven't heard any politician, either side of the fence, compound, community, whatever, even begin to suggest how they should handle things.
Having said that there will be a few false starts as people try to get their heads around it.
The best approach is nearly always to break the problem down into a sequence of actions.
Politicians however are long on rhetoric and short on detail.
The civil servants once they've got over the shock will try to put a coherent strategy together.
But it will be a wip for quite a while before the mist starts to clear and real answers start to take shape.
The EU attitude doesn't help - It's extremely difficult to work in a vacuum and they are some of the most vacuous people on this planet.
The best thing May can do is not get hung up on her April date.
Setting the deadline is good but go for article 50 only when they are ready to do so.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschool wrote:
Does anyone? - I haven't heard any politician, either side of the fence, compound, community, whatever, even begin to suggest how they should handle things.
Having said that there will be a few false starts as people try to get their heads around it.
The best approach is nearly always to break the problem down into a sequence of actions.
The civil servants once they've got over the shock will try to put a coherent strategy together.
But it will be a wip for quite a while before the mist starts to clear and real answers start to take shape.
The EU attitude doesn't help - It's extremely difficult to work in a vacuum and they are some of the most vacuous people on this planet.
Setting the deadline is good but go for article 50 only when they are ready to do so.
So a truculent member decides to hold an ill-advised and ill-prepared referendum that ends up with them giving the EU the finger and its the EU's fault? The UK made its decision and six months later they still don't have clue what they are up to, they don't have the manpower do deal with it (even if they did know) and they leave everyone else hanging around while they try and find their arses. It isn't up to anyone else to dig them out of the clusterfuck they've landed themselves in. Incidentally they have broken it down, the Guardian reports there are 500 different projects relating to Brexit on the go at the moment and they're still up to their necks in shite.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-vote
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

The memo isn't actually from within Whitehall, but from a external firm which wouldn't have full access, so odds are it's nonsense: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37983948
Anyone But New Zealand
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

FLIP wrote:The memo isn't actually from within Whitehall, but from a external firm which wouldn't have full access, so odds are it's nonsense: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37983948
Well they would say that wouldn't they :D

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

domhnallj wrote:Widely reported this morning that the British government still don't have a plan for Brexit, and that they need 30k more civil servants to help out when they do..which sounds like a good plan for the Sir Humphrey's.
This?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

domhnallj wrote:[So a truculent member decides to hold an ill-advised and ill-prepared referendum that ends up with them giving the EU the finger and its the EU's fault? The UK made its decision and six months later they still don't have clue what they are up to, they don't have the manpower do deal with it (even if they did know) and they leave everyone else hanging around while they try and find their arses. It isn't up to anyone else to dig them out of the clusterfuck they've landed themselves in. Incidentally they have broken it down, the Guardian reports there are 500 different projects relating to Brexit on the go at the moment and they're still up to their necks in shite.

This is a recurring theme in the press and it will get louder as things go on. The Eu is supposed to pick itself apart to suit the Brits.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

domhnallj wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
So a truculent member decides to hold an ill-advised and ill-prepared referendum that ends up with them giving the EU the finger and its the EU's fault? The UK made its decision and six months later they still don't have clue what they are up to, they don't have the manpower do deal with it (even if they did know) and they leave everyone else hanging around while they try and find their arses. It isn't up to anyone else to dig them out of the clusterfuck they've landed themselves in. Incidentally they have broken it down, the Guardian reports there are 500 different projects relating to Brexit on the go at the moment and they're still up to their necks in shite.

God but you are naive!
We're on the other side of that Brexit coin.
So what preparations are we making and what is EUs view of them. What preparations are the EU making.
I think everyone realises the ball has been dropped.
But it still has to be dealt with and the goal should be damage limitation not arrogant posturing
Worth bearing in mind that while the EU politicians massage their egos we'll be the ones with the most to lose.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:
domhnallj wrote:[So a truculent member decides to hold an ill-advised and ill-prepared referendum that ends up with them giving the EU the finger and its the EU's fault? The UK made its decision and six months later they still don't have clue what they are up to, they don't have the manpower do deal with it (even if they did know) and they leave everyone else hanging around while they try and find their arses. It isn't up to anyone else to dig them out of the clusterfuck they've landed themselves in. Incidentally they have broken it down, the Guardian reports there are 500 different projects relating to Brexit on the go at the moment and they're still up to their necks in shite.

This is a recurring theme in the press and it will get louder as things go on. The Eu is supposed to pick itself apart to suit the Brits.
The EU is supposed to do its' job.
I don't see any flurry of activity.
As I pointed out just above there are two sides to the Brexit issue and we're the ones most in the firing line.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschool wrote:God but you are naive!
So what preparations are we making and what is EUs view of them. What preparations are the EU making.
But it still has to be dealt with and the goal should be damage limitation not arrogant posturing
Worth bearing in mind that while the EU politicians massage their egos we'll be the ones with the most to lose.
Preparations for what exactly? As is, we've no idea what they see as there futrue relationship with the EU. How do you plan for that? There's really only so much you can do when the other side is intent on keeping it's cards so close to it's chest. We're not the ones trying to untangle our legal and regulatory system from another country. The UK will be altering it's relationship with 27 countries; the EU (27) will be altering it's relationship with 1. The workload is very much on them. On top of this they've decided thet need to rebuild British manufacturing and build the biggest and bestest free trade zone on the planet just like the empire (shame they don't know the origin of the phrase "gun boat diplomacy")

The descision about the border in the north will be made in London not Brussels. Take back control; 350m a week for the NHS; anything Daniel Hannan or David Davis say. The posturing is all on one side. Remember Davis saying they'd go off and do a deal with Germany and France and we'll get what we want because of German lobbyists....and if we don't they're bullys.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

The UK government does not seem to have a clue what to do and they are in a fuss trying to work out what all the implications are.
On the trade deals side they have very few if any negotiators who could handle a major trade deal as they all work for EU and their offers of jobs are falling flat as there is no way a highly paid negotiator will accept civil service wages here.
The way some ministers have been talking it is very clear that they don't have the first idea what a trade deal even entails legally.
If they get down to actually doing deals the UK will be holding out the begging bowl. Ireland is in a very difficult situation as well due to the UK being the main export market for food, this could all end very messy indeed
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:
Oldschool wrote:God but you are naive!
Preparations for what exactly? As is, we've no idea what they see as there futrue relationship with the EU. How do you plan for that? There's really only so much you can do when the other side is intent on keeping it's cards so close to it's chest. We're not the ones trying to untangle our legal and regulatory system from another country. The UK will be altering it's relationship with 27 countries; the EU (27) will be altering it's relationship with 1. The workload is very much on them. On top of this they've decided thet need to rebuild British manufacturing and build the biggest and bestest free trade zone on the planet just like the empire (shame they don't know the origin of the phrase "gun boat diplomacy")

The descision about the border in the north will be made in London not Brussels. Take back control; 350m a week for the NHS; anything Daniel Hannan or David Davis say. The posturing is all on one side. Remember Davis saying they'd go off and do a deal with Germany and France and we'll get what we want because of German lobbyists....and if we don't they're bullys.
Preparations for what?
Exactly and finding the answers to that question is exactly what they are paid to do
That and report back to us so that we can slag them off.
The first thing I'd do is don the paranoia hat.
There has to be an opportunity in this for the likes of the French and some of our other friends in the EU to screws us.
Juncker is dangerous, ask the greeks.
One thing that does come to mind - productivity is always an issue and now that I think of it the other obvious thing is fiscal prudence ie stop spending that fiscal space.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Widely reported this morning that the British government still don't have a plan for Brexit, and that they need 30k more civil servants to help out when they do..which sounds like a good plan for the Sir Humphrey's.
This?
Ah sure you could have thrown that together yourself in a couple of hours.