Brexit & Rugby

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Brexit & Rugby

Post by simonokeeffe »

How will this effect things?

Power of Sterling diminished? English/UK contribution to broadcasting rights/kittys down? Can we afford to buy Marty Moore back now?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Brexit & Rugby

Post by Dave Cahill »

The obvious and most significant issue will be around EU Assocation Agreements like Contonou and Kolpak.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Not familiar with first one
Kolpak is basically Saffers count as EU players?

But you raise a spectre of further RFU v Club clashes over limits on foreign players as well as the work permit issues

I think we'll see a greater schism between the sugar daddy clubs and the solvent (within their means) clubs
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:Not familiar with first one

But you raise a spectre of further RFU v Club clashes over limits on foreign players as well as the work permit issues

I think we'll see a greater schism between the sugar daddy clubs and the solvent (within their means) clubs
Think PI players come under Kolpak too. Obviously depends on what deal Britain does with the EU and whether free movement of people remains.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Not familiar with first one

Think PI players come under Kolpak too. Obviously depends on what deal Britain does with the EU and whether free movement of people remains.
I looked it up and Islanders included as well as Saffers and many othet African countries. Plus Carribean. NZ & Aus are not inluded, nor are North America, Argentina
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

According to this article they are not sure yet

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... l-sport-eu

Seems pretty certain that the premiership will vote itself the right to hire more foreign players "One option would be to increase the quota of foreign players to five or six, but clubs would not be able to sign up emerging players from outside the British Isles while there would also be implications for players wanting to join French or Italian clubs."
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Would mess up work permits, home office could say they have to have a certain skill level (re labour force)
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The %^*#s who wrecked the Heineken Cup now get to do the same with the EU.

they'll do their own thing more than ever

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:The %^*#s who wrecked the Heineken Cup now get to do the same with the EU.

Yeah I reckon you're spot on there.
If we'd kicked the French out of the EU and England had stayed in we'd all be happy little Anglo Saxons.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
ronk wrote:The %^*#s who wrecked the Heineken Cup now get to do the same with the EU.

Yeah I reckon you're spot on there.
If we'd kicked the French out of the EU and England had stayed in we'd all be happy little Anglo Saxons.
its why the Welsh wont secede from the Union
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

The Welsh are subservient little lap dogs to the English and always have been. They're always happy to play a little cameo as a pawn in Englands rugby negotiations also, ultimately to their own expense each time, having once again been an obedient little boy and not even getting so much as an "ata boy" from their master.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

I think it could cause problems for some clubs that have significant debt e.g. Wasps. I don't think they're as financially sound & prudent as they make themselves out to be,.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

You lads might need your passports to get through a hole in the border wall to come up to the Ulster match!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

rooster wrote:You lads might need your passports to get through a hole in the border wall to come up to the Ulster match!

No need, the game will be played in Breffni Park
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Premiership clubs to get £28 million a year to cover expanded eps squad/deal, that may soften the blow

Eddie Jones gets 2 week camp before AIs and 6n now, starters get a match off in December and April, 10 week preseason break
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
rooster wrote:You lads might need your passports to get through a hole in the border wall to come up to the Ulster match!

No need, the game will be played in Breffni Park
We might need visa's to get in there, though I won't with the dual nationality and local road knowledge :)
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Although it seemed clearcut at the time, (The Brexit Vote) the UK High Court Judgement today has fairly screwed-up this process. Reading through the detail in today's Judgement in Paragraph 104, it appears to me that the UK High Court has been very critical of the decision reached by the Northern Ireland High Court last Tuesday and goes as far as to say that Court mis-interpreted the Law of the land.

Extraordinary times and it won't end here!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think it will pass psrliament though as too many mps will bottle doing the right thing in face of media pressure plus Labour are a dysfunctional mess
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:I think it will pass psrliament though as too many mps will bottle doing the right thing in face of media pressure plus Labour are a dysfunctional mess
The right thing is to do what the electorate voted for.
Anything else would set a very dangerous precedent.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:I think it will pass psrliament though as too many mps will bottle doing the right thing in face of media pressure plus Labour are a dysfunctional mess
The right thing is to do what the electorate voted for.
Anything else would set a very dangerous precedent.
non binding vote but if they ran it again it would probably swing the other way

and referendums a rare thing there