Connacht 2016/17

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Connacht 2016/17

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:There is no chance of him getting a central deal without being Irish qualified, IRUPA wouldn't stand for it and it would be moronic of the union to even consider it
He could sign a one or two year extension with a view to central to come

Payne played for Ireland for 2 seasons on provincial deal in case its relevant/comes up
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He could sign anything, but one thing he won't be signing before he is Irish qualified, indeed before he has played at a disqualifying level, is a central contract
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:He could sign anything, but one thing he won't be signing before he is Irish qualified, indeed before he has played at a disqualifying level, is a central contract
Would surprise me alright, but hey my guess is hes leaving
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That would sadly be my guess too.

This can be a problem with the 'project player' concept. If Bundee Aki was just a player who came over, if he decided to leave we'd be really happy with the body of work he'd be leaving behind, because he has been superb for Connacht. But because there was the whiff of green jersey about him, if he leaves, there will be a certain amount of bitterness and hurt feelings in some quarters, and thats a pity because whether he plays for Ireland or Samoa, he couldn't have played better for Connacht.
I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

All contracts are IRFU contracts these days so don't think it's as big a deal as people are making out. They could easily put in some clauses about him earning more if he chooses Ireland when he's elligible etc. Like I said a lot of this seems to be contract driven so we'll see.

As for the Aki on a central contract thing there has never being a Connacht player on a central contract ever. So a lot of fans in Galway want to see the like's of Aki on one if he says yes for Ireland.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Bundee, on the suggestion of his Agent, just opened negotiations with Tom Grace. Certainly its in a manner that the IRFU hate, but it has been a proven success in the past - remember Sean O'Brien!

If Joe wants Aki, they will find a way to compete. If Joe is agnostic or dislikes this sort of public negotiating, no meaningful offer will be made.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

It's more Nucifora who does this and there is a lot of Connacht Fans who were angry over the whole Henshaw move. Aki is now the poster boy of Connacht Rugby and is adored by the fans here. He would also be a massive asset to Ireland. I think he'll stay but is naturally trying to squeeze as much money out of the IRFU as possible which is perfectly normal.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Whatever contract he is offered he can easily make double or even more in England and still line out for Samoa, who tend not to have full Autumn programme and no 6n
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

He could have played for Samoa down in New Zealand but chose not to instead he went to Connacht. He may have changed his mind but I don't think so.

Incidentally McFarland is rumoured to be the guy to take over at Glasgow when Townsend moves onto Scotland next season.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:He could have played for Samoa down in New Zealand but chose not to instead he went to Connacht. He may have changed his mind but I don't think so.

Incidentally McFarland is rumoured to be the guy to take over at Glasgow when Townsend moves onto Scotland next season.
Would have blocked him form NZ which would have been primary aim and also removed value as a project player, plus foreign player slots in NZ super rugby are seriously prized assets, and a lot of them being used as a project system too

McFarland has been impressing over there and I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt get a head coach job here or an international backroom job in the next 2 or 3 years

McSharry has retired due to concussion but think that was a long time coming
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

McFarland has been impressing over there and I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt get a head coach job here or an international backroom job in the next 2 or 3 years
I seriously thought that McFarland would have gotten the Ireland Forwards Job after Plumtree left. That's not a slight on Easterby but it just made a whole lot of sense to me. Agree that it's when not if he'll move up into head coaching.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Bealham extends contract to 2019
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Just watched boschoff playing for the golden lions. Looks like connacht are getting a decent player there. Steady and although not a stepper, he does run the backline well and strikes the ball sweet as a nut from the tee and from hand.
wprathead
Bookworm

Post by wprathead »

Sorkora offically signed contract with Connacht this week after impressing during his trial
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Sorkora offically signed contract with Connacht this week after impressing during his trial
He's a LH isn't he?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

D'indo says Connacht are looking at groundsharing with Galway United and (part paying for) redeveloping their ground to 8k-12k plus corporate facilities et al

Theyre looking boned in the forwards for this weekend
Missing all their locks (even academy) except Stevenson, Qualter, and Dillane who presumably must start on the bench
White is still out, as are Heenan, SOB2, and Masterson
No Boshoff (yet), or Ronaldson
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Nigel Carolan has added Dublin-born back Matthew Byrne to the Connacht Academy ahead of the start of the 2016/17 season.

The 20-year-old, who joined up with the Academy squad this month, made eight appearances with the Ireland U20’s side in 2016. In June’s World Rugby U20 Championship, the former Terenure College schoolboy started on the wing in four of the five games, culminating in the side’s first ever final which they lost to England U20’s.
Another Leinster born player joins the Connacht academy. I have to say he didn't stick out for me in the U20's but maybe he's improved. Carolan rarely picks duds.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
Nigel Carolan has added Dublin-born back Matthew Byrne to the Connacht Academy ahead of the start of the 2016/17 season.

The 20-year-old, who joined up with the Academy squad this month, made eight appearances with the Ireland U20’s side in 2016. In June’s World Rugby U20 Championship, the former Terenure College schoolboy started on the wing in four of the five games, culminating in the side’s first ever final which they lost to England U20’s.
Another Leinster born player joins the Connacht academy. I have to say he didn't stick out for me in the U20's but maybe he's improved. Carolan rarely picks duds.
Its the advantage of having the Ireland u20s coach as your academy coach
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Glasgow hammering Connacht, bonus point already and they look like they'll get a couple more tries.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

if Glasgow play like that next week and we play like we did against treviso............