Connacht 2016/17

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Connacht 2016/17

Post by The Doc »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Bonus point try conceded after half an hour...dreadful.
Not great. Though I would prefer to avoid Scarlets for the semi tbh.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

MSG. Tbe only pro12 teams to beat us this season.

Rather face Ospreys.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

TO'H had a very poor first half defensively. He looked like a guy trying to avoid bodily contact.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:TO'H had a very poor first half defensively. He looked like a guy trying to avoid bodily contact.
Looked like a wantaway to me
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Connacht have appealed the length of Aki's suspension but the Pro12 have told them to do one
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Connacht have appealed the length of Aki's suspension but the Pro12 have told them to do one
Twas a desparate move based on their recent poor form
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Looking the teams for tomorrow's playoff with the Saints, I fear the Westies are in for a tanning.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

John23 wrote:Looking the teams for tomorrow's playoff with the Saints, I fear the Westies are in for a tanning.
not to mention recent form
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

It's coming down here in Northampton. Might be a leveller
Anyone But New Zealand
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

So trips to Siberia rather than La Rochelle next year.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

That Fijian lad is a liability. Does a lot of headless running off by himself. I'm sure he's a great 7s player but doesn't seem to have it at this level.

Also Connacht should look at signing saili, they really need 2 explosive centres for the style they play. I think saili would excel there
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

lummix wrote:That Fijian lad is a liability. Does a lot of headless running off by himself. I'm sure he's a great 7s player but doesn't seem to have it at this level.

Also Connacht should look at signing saili, they really need 2 explosive centres for the style they play. I think saili would excel there
Next season they potentially have the odd situation of all their NIQs being peripheral squad members except Boshoff if he stays fit

Saili would be great for them though, presume they could afford him
theghost
Learner

Post by theghost »

disappointing end to Lams tenure at the helm but great progress being made in connacht. a pro 12 championship win would have been a dream a few years back and to think the irfu were lets say not too keen on connacht rugby back in the day.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

With the italian place in champions cup up for grabs, it makes sense for the IRFU to invest even more heavily in Connacht next season. They should seriously a up the ante of moving players of potential from other provinces there for gametime and fund a top quality import or 2. There is no reason Connacht can't at least make top 7 consistently from now on
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

theghost wrote:disappointing end to Lams tenure at the helm but great progress being made in connacht. a pro 12 championship win would have been a dream a few years back and to think the irfu were lets say not too keen on connacht rugby back in the day.
In the last season before Lam took over [2012-13], Connacht finished eighth in the league with eight wins and one draw. This year they finished eighth in the league with nine wins. There's a half-match difference, the difference between a win and a draw.

In 2012-13 they went 3/3 in the Heineken Cup [beating Zebre twice and Biarritz in Biarritz in the Sportsground, losing to the latter away and to Harlequins in both games]. This season they went 4/2 in a p*ss-easy group – Zebre finished 12th in the Pro12, Toulouse finished 12th in the Top14 – from which they failed to qualify. Then they found themselves in an away game in the first round of play-offs and lost that one too, ensuring they won't be in the Champions Cup next season.

Winning the league was an incredible accomplishment, and won't be forgotten any time soon in Connacht. But for everyone else, it was last season and we've all moved on. I think it's difficult to argue against the proposition that they've spent this season squandering most of the progress they made under Lam in the previous two seasons.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote:
theghost wrote:disappointing end to Lams tenure at the helm but great progress being made in connacht. a pro 12 championship win would have been a dream a few years back and to think the irfu were lets say not too keen on connacht rugby back in the day.
In the last season before Lam took over [2012-13], Connacht finished eighth in the league with eight wins and one draw. This year they finished eighth in the league with nine wins. There's a half-match difference, the difference between a win and a draw.

In 2012-13 they went 3/3 in the Heineken Cup [beating Zebre twice and Biarritz in Biarritz in the Sportsground, losing to the latter away and to Harlequins in both games]. This season they went 4/2 in a p*ss-easy group – Zebre finished 12th in the Pro12, Toulouse finished 12th in the Top14 – from which they failed to qualify. Then they found themselves in an away game in the first round of play-offs and lost that one too, ensuring they won't be in the Champions Cup next season.

Winning the league was an incredible accomplishment, and won't be forgotten any time soon in Connacht. But for everyone else, it was last season and we've all moved on. I think it's difficult to argue against the proposition that they've spent this season squandering most of the progress they made under Lam in the previous two seasons.
Seems to me that it was really Andre Bell who was responsible for their great play last season. Not to take anything away from Lam. He was the head man with the vision. But Bell brought the coaching expertise
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Peter McCabe is joining Connacht apparently and a scrumhalf from Sale Sharks called James Mitchell who I'm assuming is IQ. Is McCabe a LH or TH? Wonder what this means for the Coulson deal?
leinsterforever
Mullet

lummix wrote:That Fijian lad is a liability. Does a lot of headless running off by himself. I'm sure he's a great 7s player but doesn't seem to have it at this level.

I think Ronaldson at 12 is crucial to the way they've played. Remains to be seen as well whether Keane will favour a ball-playing 12 (which would push Aki to 13) or a truck it up merchant.

Tom Farrell looks good. He seems to be able to manufacture quite a lot of line-breaks
leinsterforever
Mullet

sunshiner1 wrote:Peter McCabe is joining Connacht apparently and a scrumhalf from Sale Sharks called James Mitchell who I'm assuming is IQ. Is McCabe a LH or TH? Wonder what this means for the Coulson deal?
Loosehead. Think he had a loan spell with Connacht briefly, so they must have liked what they saw
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

leinsterforever wrote:

I think Ronaldson at 12 is crucial to the way they've played. Remains to be seen as well whether Keane will favour a ball-playing 12 (which would push Aki to 13) or a truck it up merchant.

Tom Farrell looks good. He seems to be able to manufacture quite a lot of line-breaks
What was the verdict on Farrell when he was at Leinster? To me, he's very good with ball in hand but struggles in defence.