Connacht 2016/17

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Connacht 2016/17

Post by sunshiner1 »

I'd say the kiwi is there for injuries, Poolman, Ronaldson, Leader crocked a lot, Rowland is out for a while too
I am actually worried now about Poolman and Leader. Leader hasn't played for nearly a year and Poolman came back after a long injury lay-off and broke down again. They also lost McSharry to retirement a few weeks ago.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
I'd say the kiwi is there for injuries, Poolman, Ronaldson, Leader crocked a lot, Rowland is out for a while too
I am actually worried now about Poolman and Leader. Leader hasn't played for nearly a year and Poolman came back after a long injury lay-off and broke down again. They also lost McSharry to retirement a few weeks ago.
Poolman hasnt had that many concussions but he just seems to be getting injured all the time
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Connacht losing 22-10 away to Zebre at HT
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

cormac wrote:Connacht losing 22-10 away to Zebre at HT
...and Zebre have scored 3 tries too...
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Play has been suspended due to weather - the question is if an hour has been completed or not - if it has, the result stands (22-10 at time of suspension)
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Apparently the game was suspended at half time, and now has been called off. Connacht get out of jail
I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht get out of jail and Zebre get robbed. Feel bad for the Italians.

In other news Connacht apparently have 8-9 players back from injury next week which should start making a difference in their league form. God knows they need it.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

sunshiner1 wrote:Connacht get out of jail and Zebre get robbed. Feel bad for the Italians.

In other news Connacht apparently have 8-9 players back from injury next week which should start making a difference in their league form. God knows they need it.
But it's not as if they had bad players out on the field in their other matches. Muldowney and McGinty are big losses but maybe Andre Bell was the difference maker?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

leinsterforever wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Connacht get out of jail and Zebre get robbed. Feel bad for the Italians.

But it's not as if they had bad players out on the field in their other matches. Muldowney and McGinty are big losses but maybe Andre Bell was the difference maker?
could well be right, that one flew under the radar a bit

I think though the ebb and flow of psychic energy is not with them this season as it was with last
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Don't have an answer but they need to do something big time.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm not saying they were lucky last year and don't mean to criticise their style of play, but the way they played was very very risky and they didn't really have a plan B. They only knew one way to play and did it superbly because they were so well drilled and so full of confidence. It's a lot harder to execute that kind of game plan when confidence and fitness levels (and I do think the two were heavily linked in the first two game, didn't see them on Saturday) are down.

When you're struggling you need to catch your breath a bit and gradually build up confidence, they simply don't have that in their locker IMO. I think they need to develop their game instead of hoping things just click eventually. History suggests that their squad isn't good enough to keep up the performance levels of last season indefinitely.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm not saying they were lucky last year and don't mean to criticise their style of play, but the way they played was very very risky and they didn't really have a plan B. They only knew one way to play and did it superbly because they were so well drilled and so full of confidence. It's a lot harder to execute that kind of game plan when confidence and fitness levels (and I do think the two were heavily linked in the first two game, didn't see them on Saturday) are down.

When you're struggling you need to catch your breath a bit and gradually build up confidence, they simply don't have that in their locker IMO. I think they need to develop their game instead of hoping things just click eventually. History suggests that their squad isn't good enough to keep up the performance levels of last season indefinitely.
also I think the more teams play a wide wide game the more those teams and others are able to defend it plus the only running threat 10-13 is Bundee
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Better display out of Connacht so far here. Buckley playing like stefon armitage at the breakdown.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Get in 5-0. Early days in the season, but these are big points for these 2 sides tonight.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Not pretty, but gritty. John Muldoon with a massive steal there.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Looks to be gone and may not get losing BP. They are going to have to put together some big results to get back in the race for 6th.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Scarlets played smart rugby for conditions all during second half. Connacht no longer able to exercise exit strategies or counter-attacks,, because they dont have Muldowney for line-outs or any element of surprise for counter-attacks or moving ball wide in exiting. Also, precision is not as evident as last season.

First time I've seen them this year and not a lot is different. Intensity and effort aren't lacking but all the surprise is missing. O'Halloran did a lot right and his tackle of a winger who have dived to slide in, was superb and worth presentation on any highlights reel.

Lots of bravery, but no surprises.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

It finished 17-8. Connacht look sh!t out of ideas
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Looked like the scarlets wing defence was shooting up to try and coral Connacht inside, where they were waiting for them too. Like you guys are saying, they have become predictable. No longer are connacht making their attacking decisions based on what the defence are showing, last night the scarlets' defence was dictating what they wanted Connacht to do. Carty tried to put in some cross field kicks to catch their wingers out, but in the poor weather it didn't work and actually looked dangerous - scarlets made at least one big counter attack off it.

Is a pity as scarlets didn't look to have much with the ball themselves last night. The two Davies aside. They brought on Scott Williams too to be fair and he is another big threat for them. Early days, but top 6 looking like 3 Irish, glasgow, ospreys and presumably cardiff.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:It finished 17-8. Connacht look sh!t out of ideas
crossfield kicks and garryowens on 2 quality wingers seemed to be their only idea

Clancy missed a textbook yellowcard on Ken Owens for collapsing that maul in first half but Carty missed some sitters (and to touch) and Marmion ran out from behind his blockers to be charged down for the scrum that led to Scarlets 2nd try

Scarlets look much too though. Lack of a world cup year seems to be messing up Scarlets just as much as Connacht