Connacht 2016/17

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Connacht 2016/17

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:if Glasgow play like that next week and we play like we did against treviso............
there goes any of us sleeping this week

Boschoff cant come soon enough, but think lack of pre season games did them no favours
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

simonokeeffe wrote:
johng wrote:if Glasgow play like that next week and we play like we did against treviso............

Boschoff cant come soon enough, but think lack of pre season games did them no favours
I was away at the weekend so missed the game. Very surprised (but pleased!) at the result. What's all this about Connacht's lack of pre-season game(s)?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

kermischocolate wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

I was away at the weekend so missed the game. Very surprised (but pleased!) at the result. What's all this about Connacht's lack of pre-season game(s)?
They played Montpellier but then their last 2 games were cancelled on them, I think Bristol and a French side

They had a fair few injuries as they always seem to do, on the plus side Ultan Dillane continues to look the business
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Connacht's season off to an awful start. Like last season never happened. Two bp defeats at home and only 14 points scored
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

cormac wrote:Connacht's season off to an awful start. Like last season never happened. Two bp defeats at home and only 14 points scored
Never looked like winning that game. Need to move on from last season.
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Adeolokun looked like an AIL winger, made 2 tackles (on forwards) and missed 4

The difference between a world cup year and a non world cup year for their fortunes is very apparent

Whitehouse was poor (offside chasing kick, no penalty for collapsed maul on Ospreys line, most things Bradley Davies did) but Connacht made a lot of mistakes too

On positive side (Ireland wise) Dillane was good again and so was Marmion
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

simonokeeffe wrote:Adeolokun looked like an AIL winger, made 2 tackles (on forwards) and missed 4

The difference between a world cup year and a non world cup year for their fortunes is very apparent

Whitehouse was poor (offside chasing kick, no penalty for collapsed maul on Ospreys line, most things Bradley Davies did) but Connacht made a lot of mistakes too

Did you see Marmion on the goal line? Lol. Got a bit of rough treatment by one of the forwards and he had a right go at the forward. Maybe disguised it as rucking a bit, but looked like he was going to forget about the game altogether and settle it old school. As game as hell that lad. Would like him to keep his focus, but at the same time it's hard not to like a feisty wee scrum half.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Fan with smartphone wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Adeolokun looked like an AIL winger, made 2 tackles (on forwards) and missed 4

Did you see Marmion on the goal line? Lol. Got a bit of rough treatment by one of the forwards and he had a right go at the forward. Maybe disguised it as rucking a bit, but looked like he was going to forget about the game altogether and settle it old school. As game as hell that lad. Would like him to keep his focus, but at the same time it's hard not to like a feisty wee scrum half.
Hes a good man for retrieving a stolen laptop
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht are seriously missing McGinty and Muldowney. Other players need to step up but with 20 injuries and a crocked pre-season it was always going to be tough for them. The Connacht fans were crying out for a new second row signing to replace Muldowney but with Munster signing Kleyn it was nixed think it's going to hurt them this year.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:Connacht are seriously missing McGinty and Muldowney. Other players need to step up but with 20 injuries and a crocked pre-season it was always going to be tough for them. The Connacht fans were crying out for a new second row signing to replace Muldowney but with Munster signing Kleyn it was nixed think it's going to hurt them this year.
and to kick them when theyre down international call ups are going to hurt them more than in other seasons even if its just Marmion, Dillane, and maybe Bealham
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

sunshiner1 wrote:Connacht are seriously missing McGinty and Muldowney. Other players need to step up but with 20 injuries and a crocked pre-season it was always going to be tough for them. The Connacht fans were crying out for a new second row signing to replace Muldowney but with Munster signing Kleyn it was nixed think it's going to hurt them this year.
Andrew Browne deputised impressively for Muldowney in that match against Grenoble, so it'll be a boost when he returns from injury
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

I don't think they'll miss Muldowney too much y'know. Do not get me wrong he had a great season but it's finite and he is getting on. I'm a Quinn Roux fan and Qualter doesn't look too bad to me either. Tough 2 games but he handles the ball pretty well and could take on that "Muldowney role." He wouldn't be just as tall (don't know the stats but never trust them anyway), but isn't a bad foil for Dillane. I don't think they are playing that badly, just rusty and off the pace a bit. They could well post a number this weekend.

Word is that they plan to use SOB (at least partially) in the second row too. Interesting as they will have Browne, Roux, Qualter and SOB was phenomenal at 6 towards the end of last season. They will perhaps be lacking a lineout focused lock when dillane away. Maybe that's where they see SOB, but my impression is that he is a bit of a tank and not particularly tall.

McGinty was great for them last season too, but Carty, Boschoff, Ronaldson will all be capable there. I worry for them at tight head. Bealham played every game last season and then toured South Africa. He's straight back in now. Can he sustain that? Especially when White is struggling with injury. Want to see Robb get a run for them. I think he will do well, but whatever way you cut it, henshaw is a huge loss and a huge addition for leinster.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Andrew Browne deputised impressively for Muldowney in that match against Grenoble, so it'll be a boost when he returns from injury
The problem with Browne is that he's utterly injury prone and so is Roux. SOB is 6 4' which in my opinion is to small for a second row and he was impressive as hell as a 6. I was seeing SOB as Muldoon's long-term successor so moving him to the second row doesn't make sense to me. Qualter has improved but he'll never be more than a squad player as he doesn't have the skills.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd keep SOB at 6 too. Never a fan of moving young players out of position because there's a need elsewhere. To my mind it just sets them back in their development.

It's different if you're easing a player in in one position and so they can be ready for another one e.g. Dan Carter at 12 before moving to ten.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
The problem with Browne is that he's utterly injury prone and so is Roux. SOB is 6 4' which in my opinion is to small for a second row and he was impressive as hell as a 6. I was seeing SOB as Muldoon's long-term successor so moving him to the second row doesn't make sense to me. Qualter has improved but he'll never be more than a squad player as he doesn't have the skills.
The length of time Marshall has been out with concussion is worrying too

Cian Romaine still regarded as a bright prospect? Hes 6'5 too though
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Stacey Ili signed.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Hmm... is Lam realising that Kelleher is not quite the "superstar" he thought he would be (yet)?

He had said that Kelleher was capable of covering 13, but now they bring in this NZer to cover midfield and back three...

Do Connacht have any significant/long term injuries there?
Last edited by ChrisUppy on September 14th, 2016, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Cian Romaine still regarded as a bright prospect? Hes 6'5 too though
They are happy with Romaine and apparently he was doing really well in pre-season before getting injured. They are taking there time with him and working on his skill-set but he seems one for the future.

As for IIi I find him a baffling signing who just screams journeyman. He covers 11 to 15 with the emphasis on the left wing mostly. I checked the Connacht fan site and apparently he is signed up till the end of the season so maybe they got some injury news that isn't good? Or maybe they are thinking TOH and Healy will be away a lot more with Ireland this season?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I'd say the kiwi is there for injuries, Poolman, Ronaldson, Leader crocked a lot, Rowland is out for a while too

Romaine listed as 120kg which is pretty impressive