Connacht 2016/17

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Connacht 2016/17

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:Some day Dwayne will get that job in Ireland!
Could get a gig in Ulster too....
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Turned that one down years ago
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If it's Leon McDonald, they've done well. I think he was with Tasman as Head Coach a couple of years ago when they were going well in ITM Cup. Certainly highly-rated among NZ backs and could bring a lot to Connacht.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just to confirm that Leon McDonald is currently listed as Asst Coach to the Crusaders Super 15 team. He left Tasman Makeos at the end of last Season. Be very surprised if he is already moving on to Connacht against an Asst Coach spot with his former team.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Just to confirm that Leon McDonald is currently listed as Asst Coach to the Crusaders Super 15 team. He left Tasman Makeos at the end of last Season. Be very surprised if he is already moving on to Connacht against an Asst Coach spot with his former team.
theyd have to buy him out but he gets way more money and that much vaunted overseas experience
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I think Connacht should choose a coach that will see them continuing to play their current style of rugby and a NZer should be the obvious choice. McDonald sounds like a perfect fit which is probably why he is being mentioned but I doubt he will be arriving because he is contracted in NZ.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

johng wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Some day Dwayne will get that job in Ireland!
Could get a gig in Ulster too....
Dave Cahill wrote:Turned that one down years ago
Didn't believe me eh? :)
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

Thornley implying Kieran Keane going to take head coach job in Connacht - could be a great choice
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/k ... -1.2977136
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I like the look of him. Hope they get it sorted soon regardless of who it is.
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

sunshiner1 wrote:I like the look of him. Hope they get it sorted soon regardless of who it is.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

bonzo wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:I like the look of him. Hope they get it sorted soon regardless of who it is.
He knows how to win the Pro12.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

bonzo wrote:
He looks vaguely family.
Does he have any form in the NH?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

bonzo wrote:Thornley implying Kieran Keane going to take head coach job in Connacht - could be a great choice
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/k ... -1.2977136

He is highly rated in NZ. Sounds like a great choice if they can get him. They're right to seek out another Kiwi.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Kieran Keane is serious "old-school" temprament with modern day tactics and outlook. He is a follow on from John Hart and Graham Henry in so far as he has matured over recent years in his relationships with both players and blazers and is real good company, if you're a rugby nut.

He will like Connacht and Connacht will like him, but only if they clearly accept that it's his way or the highway.

BTW, fascinating process of PR whereby Jono's appointment gets formally announced by Ulster but Connacht's (probable) appointment gets leaked to the unofficial spokesperson of the Union, as a professional scoop. One wonders what's the quid pro quo?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Kieran Keane is serious "old-school" temprament with modern day tactics and outlook. He is a follow on from John Hart and Graham Henry in so far as he has matured over recent years in his relationships with both players and blazers and is real good company, if you're a rugby nut.

He will like Connacht and Connacht will like him, but only if they clearly accept that it's his way or the highway.

BTW, fascinating process of PR whereby Jono's appointment gets formally announced by Ulster but Connacht's (probable) appointment gets leaked to the unofficial spokesperson of the Union, as a professional scoop. One wonders what's the quid pro quo?
The difference is the nordies couldn't give a shite about Gypsy Gerry's meeja chops. Us Mexicans however have to put up with him being the Lord Haw Haw of the three provinces.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Kieran Keane is serious "old-school" temprament with modern day tactics and outlook. He is a follow on from John Hart and Graham Henry in so far as he has matured over recent years in his relationships with both players and blazers and is real good company, if you're a rugby nut.

I'm already warming to him. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Crosbie on the bench for Connacht tomorrow, Tom Farrell starting too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Chiefs rugby Facebook is congratulating Keane on his appointment as Connacht head coach
Summer is ready when you are

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Cheifs coaching ticket spread across Connacht and Glasgow.

Pro 12 have the best innovation in coaching.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Keane's appointment as Head Coach to Connacht should prove mutually beneficial. There are no certainties in professional sports but bringing in an experienced old head who has a great breadth of experience is a tried and tested management procedure for ensuring that corporate progress is maintained, rather than disipated.

As outlined previously, this guy has just the CV for Connacht and should be warmly welcomed.