5 players you want capped this season

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

5 players you want capped this season

Post by sunshiner1 »

So the 42.ie have realeased 5 players they like to see capped this season.

http://www.the42.ie/november-test-irela ... 7-Oct2016/

If your too lazy to read it. They were Tiernan O'Halloran, SOB 2.0, Niyi Adeolokeun, Gary Ringrose and Darren Sweetnam.

So whose your five? Here's mine:

Jake Heenan : I'm a sucker for an out and out seven and think that Ireland play there best rugby when they have someone like JVDF on the field so bring Heenan in for the ageing Chris Henry makes sense to me.

Niyi Adeolokun : A winger with pace to burn it's being too long since Ireland have had one.

Eoin McKeown : The guy can play 6,7 & 8. Not a flashy player but everything he does he does well. Also he's versatile.

Luke McGrath : The guy is now 3rd choice for Ireland and hasn't played yet. So needs gametime.

Dan Leavy : I was thinking about Jack O'Donoghue but Leavy is playing out of his skin at the moment and could do serous damage against the SH teams.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: 5 players you want capped this season

Post by Oldschool »

sunshiner1 wrote:So the 42.ie have realeased 5 players they like to see capped this season.

http://www.the42.ie/november-test-irela ... 7-Oct2016/

If your too lazy to read it. They were Tiernan O'Halloran, SOB 2.0, Niyi Adeolokeun, Gary Ringrose and Darren Sweetnam.

So whose your five? Here's mine:

Jake Heenan : I'm a sucker for an out and out seven and think that Ireland play there best rugby when they have someone like JVDF on the field so bring Heenan in for the ageing Chris Henry makes sense to me.

Niyi Adeolokun : A winger with pace to burn it's being too long since Ireland have had one.

Eoin McKeown : The guy can play 6,7 & 8. Not a flashy player but everything he does he does well. Also he's versatile.

Luke McGrath : The guy is now 3rd choice for Ireland and hasn't played yet. So needs gametime.

Dan Leavy : I was thinking about Jack O'Donoghue but Leavy is playing out of his skin at the moment and could do serous damage against the SH teams.
Your slipping up there, I think.
Carberry with dual qualifications should be nailed down asap.
Heenan is a good call.
A pacey winger would be useful and out a doubt Ade is improving but not sure he's ready yet.
Ryan Munster's TH has been showing steady improvement also.
Kelleher again because of his pace but also because he can cover FB
This season and next season are the seasons for Joe to groom younger players for Rwc 2019.
We also need to find another 8 excluding Stander.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Your slipping up there, I think.
Carberry with dual qualifications should be nailed down asap.
Heenan is a good call.
A pacey winger would be useful and out a doubt Ade is improving but not sure he's ready yet.
Ryan Munster's TH has been showing steady improvement also.
Kelleher again because of his pace but also because he can cover FB
This season and next season are the seasons for Joe to groom younger players for Rwc 2019.
We also need to find another 8 excluding Stander.
I thought about Carberry and Kelleher but i think they are to green at the moment. We can nail them both down at the Wolfhounds vs Saxon game in February.

As for John Ryan he's good but he needs a full season at TH before I would call him up imo.

As for another 8 we have Jack O'Donoghue coming through. Also McKeown is pretty handy.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Just to be a nerd and a narc TOH has 2 caps already

Ringrose
Carberry
Sweetnam
Buckley
Tracey

McGrath will be but thats more a lack of options than a particular want

Would Wolfhound a list of J Ryan, Heenan, Leavy, Kelleher, Adeoloken
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I'll pick a whole team

Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan, John Ryan, Andrew Browne, Alan O'Connor, Eoin McKeon, Dan Leavy/Jake Heenan, Jack O'Donoghue, Luke McGrath, Joey Carbery, Cian Kelleher, Rory Scannell/Peter Robb, Garry Ringrose, Darren Sweetnam, Jacob Stockdale

I really like O'Halloran too, but he's obviously not uncapped. I'm struggling when it comes to locks. I suppose Kearney and Molony would also be in the mix when it comes to talking about new caps

If I had to choose five, I think I'd go for Buckley, Heffernan, McKeon, Leavy and Ringrose, but there are a lot of exciting prospects challenging for selection
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Sweetnam: to reward progress and encourage converts (to "foreign" games);
Leavy: to recognise excellence in the face of exalted competition;
Ryan J or Treacy for changing position and proving it can mean progress;
Ringrose: to show that queueing doesn't always mean getting served last;
Kelleher Pour encourager les autres who might be offered a move elsewhere
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

@leinsterforever A Browne is a serious dark horse at the moment
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

leinsterforever wrote:I'll pick a whole team

Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan, John Ryan, Andrew Browne, Alan O'Connor, Eoin McKeon, Dan Leavy/Jake Heenan, Jack O'Donoghue, Luke McGrath, Joey Carbery, Cian Kelleher, Rory Scannell/Peter Robb, Garry Ringrose, Darren Sweetnam, Jacob Stockdale

I really like O'Halloran too, but he's obviously not uncapped. I'm struggling when it comes to locks. I suppose Kearney and Molony would also be in the mix when it comes to talking about new caps

If I had to choose five, I think I'd go for Buckley, Heffernan, McKeon, Leavy and Ringrose, but there are a lot of exciting prospects challenging for selection
+1, Good team but I would prefer Nagle in front of O'Connor, Kelleher at full back and Little at left wing.

What these selections do show is how much our depth chart has improved over 12 months. Barring Scrum half, I believe we now are four deep of decent contenders, in every position
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Agreed.

The reason I didn't pick Denis Buckley is that he's injured at the moment and don't think he'll be fit for the November tests. I haven't watched enough of Munster to rate Scannell so will take people's word for it.

As for Andrew Browne I agree about him being a dark horse. He's slotted into Muldowney's role with comfort and is the right age. I'd call him up for the Wolfhounds, see how he goes and take it from there.

Thought about Tracy too but with Herring's leadership qualities like captaining Ulster and us needing a hooker when the rest are with Ireland I selfishly decided to keep him off the list.

Apart from locks we have some quality players coming through.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Will relegate Buckley to my Wolfhounds list

If he could stay fit/withstand the rigours Ronaldson I'd like to see there too. The 2 scannell boys have chinks in their armour but are very promising
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Sweetnam: to reward progress and encourage converts (to "foreign" games);
I get the sense that you've taken this from a slide deck your presenting to the blazers. Let me know how it goes :D
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Peg Leg wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Sweetnam: to reward progress and encourage converts (to "foreign" games);
I get the sense that you've taken this from a slide deck your presenting to the blazers. Let me know how it goes :D
So you don't think Joe has to run his Squad past Lucifora before its confirmed and released?
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Really surprised that Ross was ommitted and kinda bummed from a Leinster perspective that Tracy got called up. Hopefully Strauss gets back to form quickly. Rob Kearney can consider himself a lucky boy to be called up.