Donnacha Ryan to Racing rumours

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Was he injured when awarded his last central contract?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

CiaranIrl wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Am I missing something here? So Ryan is currently on a central contract worth 300K as far as we know?
And he has been offered a provincial contract worth 300k by Munster, along with a higher, longer contract by Metro.

Surely this is just a case of him deciding to go for a payday, which he rightly deserves?
What's the relevance of the central contract except prestige if it's the same value as a provincial contract?
As John G said, if Munster weren't in such dire financial straits and didn't have as many NIQs to pay couldn't they choose to top up the provincial contract?
You're absolutely on the money here, as it were. But I'm glad nobody is stopping to the 'Mercenary' insults that were levelled at Sexton by some of here.
As a player who perhaps showed too much loyalty to Munster (when they were playing back rows in the second ahead of him let alone their international standard second rows) he realises he hasn't maximised his earning potential. He's not an unquestioned starter for Ireland and his future (world cup) is up in the air a bit also. He's entitled to call any bluff and see if they will value him as highly as others, as he thinks he is worth.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Contracts are not sinecures or retrospective. His current performance is not relevant to any two year plan. He's been paid for what he gave on the pitch.

From now on is a good time for Ireland to try out different players and give youth a chance. It's absolutely not a good time to double down on holding everyone.

Erasmus is getting loads of money but is spending it on Deysel. He wants to sign South Africans which is why both Foley and Ryan are off. He likes Ryan but only if he willing to take minimum pay.

Dutifully pro Munster media are setting a narrative that it's someone Schmidt and Leinster. Erasmus signings generally cause Irish players to move on. I can see the benefits but I don't go in for pretending than it's otherwise.

Munster made an offer, if he was a priority they could have kept him, probably still can. They'd rather spend the money elsewhere in the squad. Not a huge fan of Ryan's tactics but not upset and at his age capping him in exile if we need to isn't going to open the floodgates.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Was he injured when awarded his last central contract?
No
Played before and after signing contract in Dec 2013. Suffered a near career ending toe injury soon after in March 2014 against Trevino in a god awful 14-3 victory on a god awful night. He missed 18 months.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

One of the things that strikes me about this is that Ryan wanted out of Munster last year, whether that was down to Foley's lack of coaching ability or a wish to travel or simply money none of us know. He'll be tough enough to replace though that's for sure.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Anyway all this chat about Ryan and contracts is a great filler in when there's no big games coming up at the weekend.
Meanwhile back in Leinster we've a European Cup Q/F to talk about. A real battle of the titans between two teams currently on top in their respective leagues.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:Anyway all this chat about Ryan and contracts is a great filler in when there's no big games coming up at the weekend.
Meanwhile back in Leinster we've a European Cup Q/F to talk about. A real battle of the titans between two teams currently on top in their respective leagues.
Why would you post something like this? Thinly veiled trolling. Grow up.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Anyway all this chat about Ryan and contracts is a great filler in when there's no big games coming up at the weekend.
Simply because there's been enough talk about contracts.
Munster have just as big a game as us and all the talk is about contracts, one in particular.
Get off your pulpit.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Oldschool wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Munster have just as big a game as us and all the talk is about contracts, one in particular.
Get off your pulpit.
This ^^
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Get off your pulpit.
Great. Talk about the Munster game then eh? Don't try to fish with a snide little dig.

Why did you add the line "a real battle of the titans between two teams currently on top in their respective leagues" if not to antagonise?
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

wixfjord wrote:
Nothing thinly veiled about Oldschool's trolling
Consistent, and growing up isn't an option
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

More from MF.
This is brilliant. It's a rant, a bit of conspiracy theory and some management speak. I'm calling it:
Adventures in Advanced Tinfoil Hat Production
Yup, it's a crock!!

Heaslip getting 3years is a joke. Ditto Toner. Bowe is now a joke of a mistake, and worse is leading to biased selection for national squads in recent campaigns!! Yikes!!!

Even Ryan being left out up in Scotland, technically deigned as unavailable but that was also a crock, (a game we lost btw, with a misfiring lineout) looks like it may have had some legacy justification in it. I.e. How could JS pick this guy for Ireland when they had just refused to offer him a contract renewal ffs?!?

It's already bad enough that JS is not a good selector but now the structures that he operates in appear to accentuate his biases. No bloody wonder Irish selections under Js always appear a few sandwiches short of a picnic I.e. 2-3 selections in every squad look dodgy or plain wrong. That's close on 10%.

Imho Ireland won"t win another 6Ns until this central contracting business is sorted out, and hence it's effect of preventing optimum selection of the national squad in subsequent campaigns. I'm not sure what the optimum solution is but this sure as hell ain't it. The selecting this 6Ns was a disgrace at times. (Kearney, Bowe, Ryan being left out, etc, etc)

Pathetic, truly pathetic....
I can't think of any previous contract "negotiations" dragging up another players worth/wages. Increasingly I think this is really scummy behaviour from the agent/Ryan and I find myself a bit more ambivalent about whether he stays or goes.
Last edited by paddyor on March 29th, 2017, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

In fairness I'm not sure the agent is posting this is he/she?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:In fairness I'm not sure the agent is posting this is he/she?
The whole thing is generated by dopes like us on websites like this losing the plot on extremely limited info.

Blame culture (someone must always be to blame)

Step 1 find someone to blame.

Step 1 A what are your prejudices. Do you hate the IRFU/D4 conspiracy/Nucifora/Schmidt/Jamie Heaslip?

Grand. Sounds like a plan

Step 2 lose the plot.

Step 3 feed on the rants of others and take them as gospel if they suit your agenda (eg. no one has a clue what the reason the IRFU have for not fancying him for a central so they have chosen age which suits the agenda because he is the same age as Heaslip... Bingo. Drag him in)

There are plenty on here who would similarly lose the plot and blame ProMunster biased media/RTE/IRFU/Nucifora/Whoever Just as quickly if it was our player.

And also Move to step 2.

No one will ever blame their province for focking it up or the Player or even his agent.

Sometimes things just don't work out. See Moore/Madigan on our side for an example.

Nucifora plays a great role as a lightning conductor for the hate of all provinces. Whatever they pay him it's worth it.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
Great. Talk about the Munster game then eh? Don't try to fish with a snide little dig.

Why did you add the line "a real battle of the titans between two teams currently on top in their respective leagues" if not to antagonise?
Them's the facts whether you or anybody else likes it or not.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Like it or not this is a Munster thread on the Leinsterfans forum and its pretty legitimate to talk about an important player of theirs having his contract renewed or otherwise. If you want to talk about the Leinster game on Saturday there is another thread for that. If someone doesn't want to talk about a Munster player then just ignore this thread.

FWIW everyone is entitled to an opinion and as I am sure Limecat would agree they can be expressed on here within reason etc. But only very few opinions really count in the Ryan story. The two main ones within the IRFU are presumably Schmidt and Nucifora with Tom Grace and his team not far behind. I doubt anyone made any decision without considering the head coach's view. The comparison with Heaslip is understandable given their respective ages but pretty irrelevant apart from that. But the other opinion that counts is Ryan's. He could still sign a provincial contract with Munster if he wanted to stay. I have no idea of the figures but presumably Racing will be prepared to pay a lot more. So ultimately Ryan and presumably his agent are the ones making the decision whether to stay or go.
Four Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Donnacha Ryan to Racing rumours

Post by Peg Leg »

Lads if we're stuck he can still be called into the Ireland squad.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:Lads if we're stuck he can still be called into the Ireland squad.
even if we're not stuck we can

Last first choice player to go still played, Madigan and Moore werent first choice and in Madigans case he was probably out of the 23 on merit, Moore os more debatable but now he'd safely be behind Ryan
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

only in a backwards alphabet.
I have Bumbleflex
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

fourthirtythree wrote:Ryan doesn't have many miles on the clock, not only because he was behind O'Connell, and O'Callaghan, and O'Driscoll but also because he was at times dropped for Quinlan to play lock. He's done the going to France thing before. He's entitled to feel he hasn't been valued through his career. He really hasn't been.

Thing with Heaslip is a misdirection - Leinster secured independent finance for that - Munster should look to putting their hands in their (virtual) pockets but they've spent the last year delving around in everyone else's.

Ireland's stock at lock is low even if Ryan stays. Not a position of depth or strength for Ireland.
Quinlan never played second row.