Donnacha Ryan to Racing rumours

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ormond lad
Graduate

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by ormond lad »

offshorerules wrote:One of the things that strikes me about this is that Ryan wanted out of Munster last year, whether that was down to Foley's lack of coaching ability or a wish to travel or simply money none of us know. He'll be tough enough to replace though that's for sure.
Travel, new experiences of rugby and outside rugby..
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Donnacha Ryan to Racing rumours

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

And yet still no announcement...
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by simonokeeffe »

ormond lad wrote:
offshorerules wrote:One of the things that strikes me about this is that Ryan wanted out of Munster last year, whether that was down to Foley's lack of coaching ability or a wish to travel or simply money none of us know. He'll be tough enough to replace though that's for sure.
youd think a world cup in Japan would cover some of that :D
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ormond lad wrote:
I don't know if thats true or not, but maybe we should not say things like that any more. The mans dead.
I'm sure you meant no disrespect btw.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

blockhead wrote:
ormond lad wrote:
I don't know if thats true or not, but maybe we should not say things like that any more. The mans dead.
I'm sure you meant no disrespect btw.
You might have a point. In my defence the year in question was something of a debacle that only Eddie O'Sullivan has managed to forget. As far as I know the decision not to offer Ryan another cc was made at the beginning of this, his final year of his present contract. Therefore hardly many of the Munster squad at that time would have been putting their hands up for one either. All we know is that Ryan wanted out. I think we will all agree that now that may have changed in no small part, and it may be a coincidence, but there has been a significant change in the coaching ticket. Foley was a tremendous player though and I meant him no disrespect.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:And yet still no announcement...
At this stage I'd say INM have agreed to cover some of his wages.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Neither Midi Olympic nor L'Equipe have confirmed this deal as yet. Laporte is making many comments (as FFR President) about the aborted amalgamation, the composition of League Squads, the primacy of the National team and the overall opportunities for French amateur players within the game.

Compared to other years, there is very little commentary or rumours about overseas players in the media at present. French rugby is looking more French in media coverage at present
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:And yet still no announcement...
At this stage I'd say INM have agreed to cover some of his wages.
:lol:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Neither Midi Olympic nor L'Equipe have confirmed this deal as yet. Laporte is making many comments (as FFR President) about the aborted amalgamation, the composition of League Squads, the primacy of the National team and the overall opportunities for French amateur players within the game.

Compared to other years, there is very little commentary or rumours about overseas players in the media at present. French rugby is looking more French in media coverage at present
that is a damn good point come to think of it
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

I actually think quite simply on this 100% of the blame and frustration of munster fans should be with Munster HQ

why wont Munster offer Ryan a contract good enough to keep him?
Chisholm and Dave Ryan are gone at end of season so there's 2 salaries freed up straight away
Robin Copeland (has as much 2nd row experience as Deysel) and Darren O'Shea are spending their weekends playing AIL while Erasmus is signing short term SH 2nd rows, so those 2 are obviously not rated, so potentially another 2 salaries freed up.
Munster have -p1ssed away money this season on short term contracts to SH players (cant remember if its 5 or 6 so far) rather than backing their own fringe, development and academy players and it would appear they now cant afford to offer Ryan a contract he deserves.
My own take is that Ryan wants to leave, cause if he wanted to stay Munster could easily make it happen with all the freed up wages above.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

bamboozle wrote:I actually think quite simply on this 100% of the blame and frustration of munster fans should be with Munster HQ

why wont Munster offer Ryan a contract good enough to keep him?
Chisholm and Dave Ryan are gone at end of season so there's 2 salaries freed up straight away
Robin Copeland (has as much 2nd row experience as Deysel) and Darren O'Shea are spending their weekends playing AIL while Erasmus is signing short term SH 2nd rows, so those 2 are obviously not rated, so potentially another 2 salaries freed up.
Munster have -p1ssed away money this season on short term contracts to SH players (cant remember if its 5 or 6 so far) rather than backing their own fringe, development and academy players and it would appear they now cant afford to offer Ryan a contract he deserves.
My own take is that Ryan wants to leave, cause if he wanted to stay Munster could easily make it happen with all the freed up wages above.
Is the money being freed up, or is it already being ear marked for loan repayments?
I don't know the answer to this, but I'm sure if Munster had free cash, then they would offer Ryan what he wants.

What players were blocked by these short term signings? How many games did Du toit, and Toma play?
Taute came in to cover for a raft of injuries at center , including a former all black.

How much have these short term signings cost? I would be surprised if all of them added together came to 100K. Having them allowed Munster be competitive and return to knock out rugby, which is brilliant for player development and the bank balance.

On the squad, Rassie has already stated that the Munster squad will be reduced this year, so more cash will become available. But again this will probably be making its way to the IRFU.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Neither Midi Olympic nor L'Equipe have confirmed this deal as yet. Laporte is making many comments (as FFR President) about the aborted amalgamation, the composition of League Squads, the primacy of the National team and the overall opportunities for French amateur players within the game.

that is a damn good point come to think of it
Only problem being that Midol confirmed it days ago.
I have Bumbleflex
Ibane
Beginner

Post by Ibane »

Well then the king is dead (almost), long live the king. Darren O'Shea looks the part, hopefully he can step up as Niall Scannell has.
He won't be lacking for advice if he wants it anyway with POC there.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Timbit wrote:ROG calling it a done deal in the Examiner this morning apparently. Haven't read it myself, just seen it mentioned on MF.
Kind of agree, don't really see it as being an IRFU issue (although I do think DR in current form is an Irish starter). I don't think it's a surprise to anyone in rugby that the current brains trust are not the most astute commercially, and I'm not talking about the coaches there. Surprised the IRFU didn't make the loan restructure contingent on a management restructure (or maybe some of that is happening in the background). Munster have had help where needed this year; I don't think that it's a bad thing to help them, all the provinces will have their time in the sun. The help has to end somewhere and it has. That's not a bad thing either. Reading between the lines it appears that DR wants to go to France, more power to him. He's played 13 years for Munster and wants a bit of sunshine and a different culture before he retires. Great! Munster will have to figure out what to do in his absence but that's sport isn't it?
ROG said he approached Ryan as the IRFU doesn't appreciate/underates experience which is valued in France.

Rassie put it fairly strongly that it was a Nucifora/Schmidt decision as Rassie pointed out that they have every right to make it as they are going to carry the can for making it.
The South African director of rugby said Munster must understand the IRFU’s position.

“No, I’m definitely not annoyed,” said Erasmus. “I fully understand that you only have so much money if you’re the IRFU and you have to fit players into that budget and if Joe Schmidt and David Nucifora decide those are the best players, they are the guys that stand over the results for the national team when they’re playing.

“So if they believe other players are better than that then we must respect them signing those players, because at the end of the day they have to carry the results. You can’t beg for a national contract.”
http://www.the42.ie/donnacha-ryan-munst ... 4-Mar2017/
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ibane wrote:Well then the king is dead (almost), long live the king. Darren O'Shea looks the part, hopefully he can step up as Niall Scannell has.
He won't be lacking for advice if he wants it anyway with POC there.
Ryan to sign a Cheika worthy deal to rejoin Munster for 2019 2020 season thus making him more eligible for the world cup :D
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

janeymac08 wrote:
Timbit wrote:ROG calling it a done deal in the Examiner this morning apparently. Haven't read it myself, just seen it mentioned on MF.
Kind of agree, don't really see it as being an IRFU issue (although I do think DR in current form is an Irish starter). I don't think it's a surprise to anyone in rugby that the current brains trust are not the most astute commercially, and I'm not talking about the coaches there. Surprised the IRFU didn't make the loan restructure contingent on a management restructure (or maybe some of that is happening in the background). Munster have had help where needed this year; I don't think that it's a bad thing to help them, all the provinces will have their time in the sun. The help has to end somewhere and it has. That's not a bad thing either. Reading between the lines it appears that DR wants to go to France, more power to him. He's played 13 years for Munster and wants a bit of sunshine and a different culture before he retires. Great! Munster will have to figure out what to do in his absence but that's sport isn't it?
ROG said he approached Ryan as the IRFU doesn't appreciate/underates experience which is valued in France.

Rassie put it fairly strongly that it was a Nucifora/Schmidt decision as Rassie pointed out that they have every right to make it as they are going to carry the can for making it.
The South African director of rugby said Munster must understand the IRFU’s position.

“No, I’m definitely not annoyed,” said Erasmus. “I fully understand that you only have so much money if you’re the IRFU and you have to fit players into that budget and if Joe Schmidt and David Nucifora decide those are the best players, they are the guys that stand over the results for the national team when they’re playing.

“So if they believe other players are better than that then we must respect them signing those players, because at the end of the day they have to carry the results. You can’t beg for a national contract.”
What's stopping Rassie from making Ryan an offer that values his experience?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Peg Leg wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:

What's stopping Rassie from making Ryan an offer that values his experience?
According to Rassie:
“He’s served Munster well and I guess at his age he’s got one big contract left in him. We made the best offer we could, which was for two years. He didn’t get a national contract again so it was tough for us to afford him and when the likes of Racing and those guys make you offers it’s really big money which we can’t compete with.
Perhaps Munster had not budgeted for him losing his international contract (300K is a lot to find).
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He prefers hiring foreign second rows and letting Munster born and reared ones go.

I mean, that's what the evidence shows.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

fourthirtythree wrote:He prefers hiring foreign second rows and letting Munster born and reared ones go.

Rassie has recruited one SA Lock.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

fourthirtythree wrote:He prefers hiring foreign second rows and letting Munster born and reared ones go.

Rassie has recruited one SA Lock.