Donnacha Ryan to Racing rumours

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

RAILWAY1
Learner

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by RAILWAY1 »

While I think the prospect of losing Donnacha Ryan to Racing is going to hurt Munster in the short term , we will survive. However the potential loss of Rassie Erasmus could have much more serious long term effects on the province and even for Ireland. :x :x
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

People can belittle the significance of this move all they want, but this decision by the irfu not to offer a contract to a first choice player, and one that has played so well of late, is crazy.

This will surely install some doubt in other players when weighing up their options to either come to Ireland or stay in Ireland.

The irfu are being quoted as sighting Ryan's age as the deciding factor in not offering him a contract. This is the same Ryan who is 4 days older than Heaslip, but unlike Heaslip, he plays in a position that is well known for longevity in players careers.

Nobody can blame Heaslip for receiving a contract, that's not his problem. But to offer Heaslip one and not Ryan is a poor indication on the irfu and their policies.

If this move does happen, and I hope to god it does not, this will be the first time in the pro era that Munster will be without an established international lock in their engine room, which will have its own impact.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RAILWAY1 wrote:While I think the prospect of losing Donnacha Ryan to Racing is going to hurt Munster in the short term , we will survive. However the potential loss of Rassie Erasmus could have much more serious long term effects on the province and even for Ireland. :x :x
+1
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

munster#1 wrote: The irfu are being quoted as sighting Ryan's age as the deciding factor in not offering him a contract.
Quoted by whom? I haven't seen or read or heard a single word from Nucifora, Schmidt, Browne et al on this - if I've missed it then fair enough, but so far all we've had is a load of unattributed stuff like the above.

Now, as it happens I think Nucifora struggles with competency and this is yet another glaring example of it, but what it has to do with any other player - past present or future - is completely and utterly beyond me given that the IRFU being quoted as citing something and actually citing something are two very different things.
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
munster#1 wrote: The irfu are being quoted as sighting Ryan's age as the deciding factor in not offering him a contract.
Quoted by whom? I haven't seen or read or heard a single word from Nucifora, Schmidt, Browne et al on this - if I've missed it then fair enough, but so far all we've had is a load of unattributed stuff like the above.

Now, as it happens I think Nucifora struggles with competency and this is yet another glaring example of it, but what it has to do with any other player - past present or future - is completely and utterly beyond me given that the IRFU being quoted as citing something and actually citing something are two very different things.
Dave, like many on here I tend not to respond to your posts, but I will this time.

Cian Tracey has stated that the the union are cited as saying the above. Which is what I wrote. I did not state that the union are quoted as saying that, or claim that this is fact.

This is a discussions based forum, and if you believe that nothing should be discussed until it becomes fact, then I would suggest that you skim over nearly every conversation on this and every other rugby forum.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: The irfu are being quoted as...
munster#1 wrote: I did not state that the union are quoted as saying that.
:?:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

So, in other words, no attributable quote. Thanks
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

How come Munster can't afford to offer Ryan a decent contract? The Racing offer is hardly stratospheric if the reported amount is accurate.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote:
My choice of words in this case were obviously wrong. That's what I get for interacting with David.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Dave, like many on here I tend not to respond to your posts, but I will this time.

Cian Tracey has stated that the the union are cited as saying the above. Which is what I wrote. I did not state that the union are quoted as saying that, or claim that this is fact.

This is a discussions based forum, and if you believe that nothing should be discussed until it becomes fact, then I would suggest that you skim over nearly every conversation on this and every other rugby forum.
Does Cian Tracey quote a source though?

Not saying he's just making it up, or that a source does not exist - but you've got to admit it doesn't sound very credible with nothing to back it up.

It just doesn't ring true as something that would be used in a contract negotiation when it can be so easily refuted by comparison with JH's age.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Not saying he's just making it up, or that a source does not exist - but you've got to admit it doesn't sound very credible with nothing to back it up.

It just doesn't ring true as something that would be used in a contract negotiation when it can be so easily refuted by comparison with JH's age.
Hey, it may well be something he just made up, but that does not mean that this piece does not warrant discussion.

I personally see no other reason why he would not be offered a contract. He has been in incredible form all season, and was one of the top performers in the latest champions.

This whole thing could well be just something that is made up, as Ryan is yet to confirm anything from what I've seen.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

cormac wrote:How come Munster can't afford to offer Ryan a decent contract? The Racing offer is hardly stratospheric if the reported amount is accurate.
Was wondering that myself. Can't imagine that the IRFU would object to him getting a provincial contact so what is stopping Munster paying him what he wants, with outside help if necessary?
A proud Winsome Fluter
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote:
Squirrel!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
cormac wrote:How come Munster can't afford to offer Ryan a decent contract? The Racing offer is hardly stratospheric if the reported amount is accurate.
Was wondering that myself. Can't imagine that the IRFU would object to him getting a provincial contact so what is stopping Munster paying him what he wants, with outside help if necessary?
You would have to imagine that due to Munster's current financial situation, that the irfu are monitoring their expenditure very closely.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

munster#1 wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Hey, it may well be something he just made up, but that does not mean that this piece does not warrant discussion.

I personally see no other reason why he would not be offered a contract. He has been in incredible form all season, and was one of the top performers in the latest champions.

This whole thing could well be just something that is made up, as Ryan is yet to confirm anything from what I've seen.
I think if its just made up it should be ignored. It doesnt warrant discussion. Thats just me.

Until there is a corroborating piece in the French media.i think its nonsense.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
They've spent their budget hiring a foreign player every week - most likely they gambled on the IRFU stomping up for Ryan and that gamble didn't pay off.

He's not gone yet though, a last minute deal will be done to keep him at Munster. Either the IRFU will back down or JP will foot the bill. Who were the players in the same situation last year? Earls/Zebo?

Much ado about nothing.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

open to correction but the most he can probably get on a provincial is 150k or so, also bonuses at French clubs can be huge and there might be other perks/expenses paid there

I think Rassie isnt going anywhere, unfupping SARFU with ensuing political interference is going to be a nightmare, let someone else deal with radical restructuring of players and admin whilst making better money here
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:open to correction but the most he can probably get on a provincial is 150k or so,
where on earth have you plucked that figure from?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Its all down to the Thomond Park development - it has been an albatross from the day it was decided not to sell the naming rights
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

munster#1 wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
My choice of words in this case were obviously wrong. That's what I get for interacting with David.
so the chkice of words you made before you even interacted with Dave was as a result of interacting with Dave.

That's some time travelling sh1t right there.

Probably tbe same type of logic that manages to drag Jamie Heaslip into a conversation about D Ryan.