The other semi

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The other semi

Post by domhnallj »

Cor. Ind. wrote:I'm loving the arrogance on this thread. Oh, hear ye Mocker Gods? Dave Cahill has opined between morsels of KFC chicken, spice bags and Big Macs...

Munster will be lucky if they manage to get nil on the scoreboard.
Good man, I'm enjoying it also. However, I think if Munster get their A-players back and motoring they have enough to take Sarries. Fingers crossed!
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Cor. Ind. wrote:
Loving your backhanded compliments. An okay team that finished 2nd seeds in the group stages, has gotten past last year's T14 champions, and 4 & 2 times HEC winners along the way.
I'm fairness, so did Glasgow. (Apart from Toulouse obviously). Think it says more about the opposition than the pro12 teams.
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

kermischocolate wrote:
Cor. Ind. wrote:
Loving your backhanded compliments. An okay team that finished 2nd seeds in the group stages, has gotten past last year's T14 champions, and 4 & 2 times HEC winners along the way.
I'm fairness, so did Glasgow. (Apart from Toulouse obviously). Think it says more about the opposition than the pro12 teams.
True, but then we got past you 4 times too and Glasgae make up the bulk of a Scotland team that beat Ireland and Wales.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Even if Munster beat us in the final, I wouldn't regret hoping they beat Saracens.

Usually when an all Irish final is lined up in the semis, an all Irish final doesn't happen so it's not something I think is likely.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

If Munster are at full strength, I think they will win, and win well. They're a fantastic team this year. Erasmus has done a phenomenal job with them considering where they were last year. If Munster lads make sure that not too many indifferent Leinster fans get tickets, the stadium will be electric. I'm not sure how Saracens will cope with the 16th man.

The flip side of all this - if Murray, Tyler and Stander are missing, it might be a bridge too far.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Timbit wrote:
So assuming CJ is out who plays in the Munster backrow? And who benches? Deysl has a lot of fitness work to do and I think Oliver has almost done enough for the bench. Start Peter, Tommy, Jack with Deysl as lock cover and Oliver as backrow?
Oliver would be the form pick definitely but the 4 back row options might be a little lightweight without stander. I would imagine that DOC would be almost guaranteed to be on the bench as lock/6 cover - Kelyn and Foley gone so the only options are Deysel, DOC and O Shea - I know who I'd be going with. I'm a fan of DOCs - think he could become a Holland like figure for us
CiaranIrl wrote:If Munster are at full strength, I think they will win, and win well.
Not seeing that - at full strength, with the crowd, we have a good chance - winning well - don't see that at all tbh - Sarries are used to not having travelling support and are as equipped as any team to deal with - they are like us a difficult team to beat

I do have an impending sense of doom about the rest of the season though - the depth of the squad is really really being tested -
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Golf Man wrote:
Timbit wrote:
So assuming CJ is out who plays in the Munster backrow? And who benches? Deysl has a lot of fitness work to do and I think Oliver has almost done enough for the bench. Start Peter, Tommy, Jack with Deysl as lock cover and Oliver as backrow?
Oliver would be the form pick definitely but the 4 back row options might be a little lightweight without stander. I would imagine that DOC would be almost guaranteed to be on the bench as lock/6 cover - Kelyn and Foley gone so the only options are Deysel, DOC and O Shea - I know who I'd be going with. I'm a fan of DOCs - think he could become a Holland like figure for us
CiaranIrl wrote:If Munster are at full strength, I think they will win, and win well.
Not seeing that - at full strength, with the crowd, we have a good chance - winning well - don't see that at all tbh - Sarries are used to not having travelling support and are as equipped as any team to deal with - they are like us a difficult team to beat

I do have an impending sense of doom about the rest of the season though - the depth of the squad is really really being tested -
If CJ is out then I think Rassie will go like for like and bring JOD in at 8. Starting DOC would mean moving POM to a position he's not played in a few seasons. Also DOC is our only real lock cover. DOS won't be in the squad. There's an argument to be made for starting an athletic DOC alongside DR, as they are a comparable combo to Itoje & Hamilton. Holland would be a good player to bring on with Deysel on 60mins.

TOD really needs to put a marker down against Ulster. Oliver was excellent last week and made some crucial turnovers. That said, if CJ's out and JOD's starting, the only way Oliver makes the bench is if Rassie goes with a 6/2 split.

This game will be all about defence and not giving away penalties on the gainline. Every Munster player will need to play at a level above anything they've managed this season. Saracens were exceptional against Glasgae. Those RL screens they ran through the back line were incredibly innovative and but for a lick of paint they could have had three tries in the first 20mins.
"Only in America!"

olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

ronk wrote:Even if Munster beat us in the final, I wouldn't regret hoping they beat Saracens.

Usually when an all Irish final is lined up in the semis, an all Irish final doesn't happen so it's not something I think is likely.
For sure.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

any idea how many tickets Sarries returned? will their contingent be stuck in the South Stand or would that be too big for them?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

My ticket is BLK 114 row T. I think that's the SS. Only ever been E or W stands. What's he view like from there?
"Only in America!"

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Depends on how far back you are tbh - if you're far enough back and elevated then its okay I guess - not so great near the front where the subs warming up can block your view of the pitch
I have Bumbleflex
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Cor. Ind. wrote:My ticket is BLK 114 row T. I think that's the SS. Only ever been E or W stands. What's he view like from there?
T is a good bit back...was in J for the Wasps game and that is fine too
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Yeah, found some pics online. T seems ok. Some of the sight lines lower down are terrible though.

I've been to the Aviva about 10 times for Ireland games now and have yet to see a memorable match...with the athmosphere or lack thereof playing a significant part. I always seem to be surrounded by disinterested event junkies who spend the entire match running back and forth to the bar and not emerging till 10mins into the 2nd half completely inebriated.

The lack of singing is also a real issue. Seeing guys shushing people trying to start up the Fields is pretty disheartening. Long gone days in ol' Lansdowne Rd when in spite of us getting hockeyed by France or England you could always rely upon a faithful rendition of Molly Malone by all & sundry.
"Only in America!"

olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Cor. Ind. wrote:Yeah, found some pics online. T seems ok. Some of the sight lines lower down are terrible though.

I've been to the Aviva about 10 times for Ireland games now and have yet to see a memorable match...with the athmosphere or lack thereof playing a significant part. I always seem to be surrounded by disinterested event junkies who spend the entire match running back and forth to the bar and not emerging till 10mins into the 2nd half completely inebriated.

The lack of singing is also a real issue. Seeing guys shushing people trying to start up the Fields is pretty disheartening. Long gone days in ol' Lansdowne Rd when in spite of us getting hockeyed by France or England you could always rely upon a faithful rendition of Molly Malone by all & sundry.
Thats the nature of the beast now. The words "event manager", "matchday experience" and "corporate hospitality" have done more than just push up the price of a ticket. On the other hand, do you remember things like the crush of the tunnels under the stand or the crush at the bar in Wanderers? apart from not winning very often, we did put up with a lot!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

olaf the fat wrote:
Cor. Ind. wrote:Yeah, found some pics online. T seems ok. Some of the sight lines lower down are terrible though.

Thats the nature of the beast now. The words "event manager", "matchday experience" and "corporate hospitality" have done more than just push up the price of a ticket. On the other hand, do you remember things like the crush of the tunnels under the stand or the crush at the bar in Wanderers? apart from not winning very often, we did put up with a lot!
Ha, don't get me wrong I'm no morbid sentimentalist. Lansdowne Rd was an ugly concrete dump, but the atmosphere once you got to your seats was great. iirc that upper terraced area in the South Stand was a death-trap as well.
"Only in America!"

Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Agree with this entirely.had a guy come in at 10 minutes into the second half of the wasps game and walk down to the middle of our row where i was sitting claiming I was sitting in his seat.Had just arrived.He promptly got told to Foxtrot Oscar!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Going from a stadium where the majority were standing to one where everyone is sitting was always going to have an impact on the atmosphere. The one improvement is that when the crowd does get really into it the noise levels are far louder than in the open-ended old stadium. The last few minutes of the 2013 game against NZ was deafening
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

cormac wrote:Going from a stadium where the majority were standing to one where everyone is sitting was always going to have an impact on the atmosphere. The one improvement is that when the crowd does get really into it the noise levels are far louder than in the open-ended old stadium. The last few minutes of the 2013 game against NZ was deafening
A wall of sound the like of which I have never physically felt since.
I felt like the lollipop lads on the USS Nimitz at the start of top gun.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

I'm not a huge fan of the Aviva generally but for this game I don't think you need to worry if the crowd are even half of what they were in 06. I came out of that with my ears ringing like a concert.

If the crowd are at all up for it, nobody in the Sarries team will have encountered it before. I think that could be a critical factor if its anyway close.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The Doc wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of the Aviva generally but for this game I don't think you need to worry if the crowd are even half of what they were in 06. I came out of that with my ears ringing like a concert.

If the crowd are at all up for it, nobody in the Sarries team will have encountered it before. I think that could be a critical factor if its anyway close.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Ah theyve mostly played enough international rugby IMO

Poite refereeing it will add to the noise though!
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon