Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by blockhead »

41-17, Yikes!
Kiss will be under big pressure now.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

blockhead wrote:41-17, Yikes!
I hope so indeed, though it was the expected result.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

rooster wrote:
their first try should have been disallowed if thats any consolation
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

rooster wrote:
Found it very hard to understand the selections between starters and bench and even harder to figure the substitutions where Ulster had played a mighty first-half against the odds but were still in the contest. Timing of substitution of Cooney for Le'afanou was incredible and keeping Marshall on bench behind Cave was even more asinine.

Ulster pack were brave as lions in defence but Owens was totally one-eyed at breakdown where La Rochelle "sealed off" every carry with a big unit flopping on top of his carrier or driving in the side to take out Ulster defenders. Owens really deserves to get his knuckles rapped for that poor display.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Totally agree on Owens, he reffed Ulster off the park. Was I alone in thinking that there was a clear knock on in the lead up to the disallowed try when one of the La Rochelle players went into touch? Owens had it checked but said that he thought it came off the knee, I thought it was obvious that it also came off the hand. It didnt matter in the grand scheme of things (although meant Ulster had a lineout on their own line instead of a scrum outside their 22) but it just reinforced the impression that he was only reffing one side.

On the subs, the commentators said that CL had taken a bang early in the second half, and I actually thought Cave had an excellent game until La Rochelle started to dominate and nobody was doing well at that point. Trimble was the only really poor performer IMO.

I wouldn't be overly harsh on Kiss. That was only the second loss this season and was very much expected. Having lost Coetzee and endured the Jackson/Olding business, I don't think they're doing badly at all. I would have doubts about whether he's the right man for them, but don't think now is the time to consider getting rid of him. It'll be interesting to see how they do against us though. Yesterday's selection was clearly made with our game in mind so he has to back that up and get a good performace.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
rooster wrote:
Found it very hard to understand the selections between starters and bench and even harder to figure the substitutions where Ulster had played a mighty first-half against the odds but were still in the contest. Timing of substitution of Cooney for Le'afanou was incredible and keeping Marshall on bench behind Cave was even more asinine.

Ulster pack were brave as lions in defence but Owens was totally one-eyed at breakdown where La Rochelle "sealed off" every carry with a big unit flopping on top of his carrier or driving in the side to take out Ulster defenders. Owens really deserves to get his knuckles rapped for that poor display.
No surprise about Owens, we rarely get much from him as regards sealing off.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Totally agree on Owens, he reffed Ulster off the park. Was I alone in thinking that there was a clear knock on in the lead up to the disallowed try when one of the La Rochelle players went into touch? Owens had it checked but said that he thought it came off the knee, I thought it was obvious that it also came off the hand. It didnt matter in the grand scheme of things (although meant Ulster had a lineout on their own line instead of a scrum outside their 22) but it just reinforced the impression that he was only reffing one side.

On the subs, the commentators said that CL had taken a bang early in the second half, and I actually thought Cave had an excellent game until La Rochelle started to dominate and nobody was doing well at that point. Trimble was the only really poor performer IMO.

I wouldn't be overly harsh on Kiss. That was only the second loss this season and was very much expected. Having lost Coetzee and endured the Jackson/Olding business, I don't think they're doing badly at all. I would have doubts about whether he's the right man for them, but don't think now is the time to consider getting rid of him. It'll be interesting to see how they do against us though. Yesterday's selection was clearly made with our game in mind so he has to back that up and get a good performace.
bit of a contradiction; he picked Trimble to come in from the cold and then Bowe also then has to play out of position
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

I wouldn't read forward thinking to this week as part of the team choice, the Kiss method of team selection and substitutions bears no resemblance to any known logical methods of picking a team and anyway he could have a team training together tomorrow and then change it all around on Thursday after training.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Heard elsewhere that Ulster are talking to Marty Moore. Anything seriously on the radar in that regard?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Heard elsewhere that Ulster are talking to Marty Moore. Anything seriously on the radar in that regard?
Don't know but you'd imagine Jonno Gibbs would be the man to ask.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm conscious that we can't/shouldn't talk about this but Jackson pleaded not guilty today and the trial of himself, Harrison, and McIlroy is likely to be on the 22nd January. Jackson's barrister asked if it could be brought forward but the judge said no. Olding to appear later in the week, bit confused as to why he wouldn't have been in court today with the others.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm conscious that we can't/shouldn't talk about this but Jackson pleaded not guilty today and the trial of himself, Harrison, and McIlroy is likely to be on the 22nd January. Jackson's barrister asked if it could be brought forward but the judge said no. Olding to appear later in the week, bit confused as to why he wouldn't have been in court today with the others.
A lessor or greater charge or a different incident perhaps?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Payne still nowhere near a comeback too
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:Payne still nowhere near a comeback too

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 41535.html
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Apparently they're looking at moving Cooney to 10 this weekend, probably with an eye on Lilo leaving.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

paddyor wrote:Apparently they're looking at moving Cooney to 10 this weekend, probably with an eye on Lilo leaving.
No Nelson is playing 10 this week according to Kiss at press call today.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Heard elsewhere that Ulster are talking to Marty Moore. Anything seriously on the radar in that regard?
Just the one press report so far and nothing else
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Talk that Joey Carbery is heading up here next season