Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by OTT »

BOD robbed a lot of his Irish caps to the poor guy, always wronged it seems.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jimbobjoe wrote:
paddyor wrote:This is fine!

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/7 ... rren-cave/
Darren Cave is a professional rugby player with Ulster Rugby and has been a fan's favourite for many years. He is extremely skillful and has represented his country at the highest level.

Over the past while several Ulster Rugby players have reached, and passed, the milestone of 200 caps for the province. Darren has reached 199 but now seems destined not to move on to the magical figure. Recent opportunities have been thwarted by Ulster Rugby management preferring to use players whose expertise is in other positions.

Fans of Ulster Rugby and of Darren are baffled to say the least. As far as they are aware he is fit and training with the first team squad and indeed Head Coach Jonno Gibbes name checked him earlier this week as being in contention for this weekend's game.

We just want to see justice done and Darren FREED from the ignominy of being stuck forever on 199 caps!!
Apparently Cave "called out" Kiss on the training ground about his defensive system and he's been on the naughty step ever since.
Yeah, that's sure to help his cause!
Yep - Aussies are notorious for being very "Thin Skinned".
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Would this be the same defensive system thats been awful this season?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

paddyor wrote: Apparently Cave "called out" Kiss on the training ground about his defensive system and he's been on the naughty step ever since.
Cave is an odd character. I don't know the guy personally, but I've heard from a few sources that he's quite an influential and outspoken presence in the Ulster squad.

If he's whinging about coaching, it wouldn't be the first time. He's a strange character and seems to be a bit of a flute. I've never met him, so my judgment in that regard could well be way off, but I've seen an awful lot of his career.

To be frank he has never given the impression that he's a leader or that he has the competitive nature to thrive at the highest level of the game. My standout memories of him are complete disappearances in big games in the 2012-13 era: absolute no-shows against us in the HEC 2012 final, and in the following year the HEC quarter-final against Saracens and the Pro12 final in the RDS against us. The pressure came on, and he didn't respond well. That was when Ulster had Pienaar, Afoa, Muller in their team [along with Best, Bowe, Trimble, Henry, Williams etc.]

After those [non-] performances, I sort of wrote him off as a serious contender as an Irish player. Good footballer, but too many flake-outs and a bit too much of a whinger.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

"I suppose it's all motivation for me, but I still wonder sometimes does the face not fit. If you don't know what I mean by that I suppose you should ask Roger Wilson how he has one cap for Ireland and Jamie Heaslip has 60 and two Lions tours behind him."
That's wee Darren from a few years ago.
The answer is your own statement Darren, 2 Lions tours and 5 test starts.
He also had nominations for World Rugby Player of the Year: 2009, 2016, and EPCR European Player of the Year: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015.
Blue Joe had little to do with these nominations so maybe, just maybe, it's not Joe, its you Darren.
You were just not good enough.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Uls 16-12 up at HT. They could easily lose this if they don't start making those tackles. Cooney with 11pts so far. Best srummie Ulster have had in years. :D
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

He's ruaning a narrative.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Morf wrote:He's ruaning a narrative.
Classic Morf.
52-24 in the end. 6 tries to 4. Cooney bags 25pts! Mad game.
La Rochelle will run amok in the next game if Ulster don't sort out the D.
Ulster are back in the conversation.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

blockhead wrote:
Classic Morf.
You did the same as I did!!! Cooney came back on at 78 minutes and converted Trimble’s try to bring his total to 27 points. 9/10 from the boot in another brilliant performance.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Now that is the sort of performance from Stockdale that will earn him (rightly) huge plaudits from Joe S. Three brilliant interventions which created havoc in the 'Quins defence and resulted in two tries for other Ulster players. A host of big clearouts and a couple more decisive tackles. A top class all-round performance.

But "Oh deary me" as the lovely Jim Neilly might say, Ulster's front five were very ordinary and Henderson is not a defensive back-row. Timoney was doing well at No 8 and the substitution should have been Reidy for Treadwell with Hendo going into the second-row. The starting props should have remained 15 mins longer because the finishers could barely hold 'Quins pack, before the shove came on.

Ulster had the better try scorers on the pitch but this was a poor team performance and they are currently the poorest Irish Provincial team.

Cooney is making a fair case to join the National panel with his current all-round game plus kicking. Good for him.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Xanthippe wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Classic Morf.
You did the same as I did!!! Cooney came back on at 78 minutes and converted Trimble’s try to bring his total to 27 points. 9/10 from the boot in another brilliant performance.
I was wondering who took the kick, thought he looked a lot like Cooney.
He's really doing well isn't he, fair play to him. That was some serious big boots to fill, but he's won the mob over. Less and less talk about Pienarr these days.
Kiss is a brilliant coach!

Ducks for cover.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Now that is the sort of performance from Stockdale that will earn him (rightly) huge plaudits from Joe S. Three brilliant interventions which created havoc in the 'Quins defence and resulted in two tries for other Ulster players. A host of big clearouts and a couple more decisive tackles. A top class all-round performance.

But "Oh deary me" as the lovely Jim Neilly might say, Ulster's front five were very ordinary and Henderson is not a defensive back-row. Timoney was doing well at No 8 and the substitution should have been Reidy for Treadwell with Hendo going into the second-row. The starting props should have remained 15 mins longer because the finishers could barely hold 'Quins pack, before the shove came on.

Ulster had the better try scorers on the pitch but this was a poor team performance and they are currently the poorest Irish Provincial team.

Cooney is making a fair case to join the National panel with his current all-round game plus kicking. Good for him.

They are very ordinary. It doesn't say much for their academy (up to this point). None of the players are bad but they're all average so overall they'll struggle against the top packs, even with Best coming back.

On the other hand Ulster have some real class in the backs even with the injuries. Stockdale looks like a world class talent at the moment.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by artaneboy »

blockhead wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
blockhead wrote: Classic Morf.
I was wondering who took the kick, thought he looked a lot like Cooney.
He's really doing well isn't he, fair play to him. That was some serious big boots to fill, but he's won the mob over. Less and less talk about Pienarr these days.
Kiss is a brilliant coach!

Ducks for cover.
Or try Nucifora knows his onions! You better run....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Sinckler had money on Ulster
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Iain Henderson wrote:We’re not just a feeder club for Leinster
It seems the story of him not being able to recall lineout calls are probably true.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

paddyor wrote:
It seems the story of him not being able to recall lineout calls are probably true.
That's a bizarre comment from Henderson. Does he know what a "feeder club" is?
Dont Panic!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dexter wrote:
paddyor wrote:
That's a bizarre comment from Henderson. Does he know what a "feeder club" is?
Doubt it.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If Ulster win this tonight, it'll be a small miracle and possibly justification for playing Henderson out of position. Certainly expect nothing but a home win.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Ulster getting taken apart
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Connacht 44-16 Ulster.
Ulster are a shambles, utter shambles. Worst Ulster performance I have ever seen. Gibbes must be appalled at the performance of that pack.
Hard to say were Connacht are tbh, they did look good but it was so easy for them.

Mallinder for Ulster.