Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

rooster
Seán Cronin

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by rooster »

olaf the fat wrote:But not outside the bounds of reasonable to assume that a major media outlet you went after would delight at a bite back.

Jeez their options are really getting bashed. Whats their best move now? a couple of seasons in the southern hemisphere and let things die down?
It's very difficult to say, the pair of them are virtually bankrupt if not bankrupt and all over a very dubious case to begin with getting tangled up in a media frenzy of sexual assault cases going on around the world.
I had thought as had others that they would get costs back as it was PPS lost the case but this is not the case, Olding got legal aid during the case so it could continue but to get it he had to provide documentation that he had nothing left.
The length of time it went on for did not help with cost.

It really is ridiculous that these days if you have nothing you can basically accuse someone with money of doing something and it will cost them a fortune to try and clear their name. Or if you have some money and try and take on someone with more they can beat you into the ground till you stop.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

fourthirtythree wrote:I never thought England was an option for them and was quite surprised they were linked with anyone there. I always thought France was more likely
I’d say Japan is their best chance of a new start: different culture and far away...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Trimble retiring.

I suppose they'll be looking for Larmour next.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

An Open Letter from Andrew Trimble

I know that I've been incredibly fortunate to have realised not one of my dreams, but two of them - to play for Ulster and to play for Ireland. These have been some of the most fulfilling days of my life and I feel nothing but gratitude for them.

But there's no way of stopping time - and I see that each day in the lives of my two young children, who are now close to beating me over five metres! So I wanted to let you know that this will be my last season playing professional rugby.

I want to thank Ulster Rugby for allowing me the time and space to think things through before making what is probably the toughest decision that any professional sportsman will make. Most of all, I want to thank you - the loyal and dedicated supporters of this special province.

I know that nothing will come close to the experience of taking the field and hearing you raise your voices in support of the team.

You stood up for me. I only hope that I stood up for you.

With deepest thanks,

Andrew Trimble
Some servant for Ulster and Ireland. Made is debut in 2005!
Best of Luck Trimbo. :clap: :clap: :clap:
So Ulster will go into next season without Trimble, Piatau, Bowe, Jackson, Olding, Marshall and probably Payne.
This is gonna really hurt Leinster.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ulster and Ireland legend, had a great career. One of the few of the current bunch to have won silverware with Ulster. Probably unfortunate to overlap with the likes of Hickie, Horgan, Bowe, Earls, Fitzgerald, Zebo, Stockdale etc at different stages of his career.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

One of my favourite players, I was so excited about him when he first broke through, he was pretty much unstoppable when he got the ball in his hands. It's a real pity that he didn't sort out his injury or be coached by Joe a couple of years earlier than he was, but delighted that he got over his lull and finally got to deliver at international level and that he has the silverware to show for it. Himself and Bowe in full flight on the wings for Ulster was a real treat and they'll both be missed. He always comes across as great craic in interviews and was a real gent when I met him many years ago. Hope he stays involved with Ulster, can't think of many better ambassadors than him.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

neiliog93 wrote:Ulster and Ireland legend, had a great career. One of the few of the current bunch to have won silverware with Ulster. Probably unfortunate to overlap with the likes of Hickie, Horgan, Bowe, Earls, Fitzgerald, Zebo, Stockdale etc at different stages of his career.
Unlucky, 70 caps would say he was better than most of the ones you named. I laugh at the dropping Fitzgerald into that list, sure why not include Anthony Horgan while you're at it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:Ulster and Ireland legend, had a great career. One of the few of the current bunch to have won silverware with Ulster. Probably unfortunate to overlap with the likes of Hickie, Horgan, Bowe, Earls, Fitzgerald, Zebo, Stockdale etc at different stages of his career.
Joe rated him, enough said and he has a memory that only a select few Irish players have ie beating NZ while wearing the green jersey. Eat your hearts out EOS and Dekko.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Unlucky, 70 caps would say he was better than most of the ones you named. I laugh at the dropping Fitzgerald into that list, sure why not include Anthony Horgan while you're at it.

Oi, don't come on here dissing Luke FitzGerald. Luke was devastating at his best. Career was destroyed by injury and the guy is retired and still only 30. I always liked Andrew Trimble but you can't use Irish Caps as the sole measure of whether he was better than any of those named. Hickie, Horgan and Bowe all got less caps but I reckon they all scored a lot more tries than Trimble for example. A lot of the list quoted were also Lions which was never an honour bestowed on Trimble as far as I recall.
Four Stars
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Super player. Got loads of caps young and was still going strong until recent injuries.

Top exponent of the crunching hits from the wing position.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

ronk wrote:Super player. Got loads of caps young and was still going strong until recent injuries.

Many forwards wondered what hit them if they were out on the wing, backs in general just crumpled up and suffered for a week, he loved big hits and interceptions, really uncanny ability to time them correctly he will be very badly missed up here
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

rooster wrote:
ronk wrote:Super player. Got loads of caps young and was still going strong until recent injuries.

Many forwards wondered what hit them if they were out on the wing, backs in general just crumpled up and suffered for a week, he loved big hits and interceptions, really uncanny ability to time them correctly he will be very badly missed up here
Yup, seems to have Trained Stockdale in the art of the intercept
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Robbie Diack on the way home to South Africa as well now.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Jackie Brown wrote:

You mean Fitzgerald the test-match Lion? The point of my comment wasn't to say all of the names listed were better than him, it was more showing how he always had to fight for his place against good players (and often won it). If they had been absent he would have had even more caps. The way you interpreted my comment was incredibly belligerent and paranoid. Lose the siege mentality, it's not 1974.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:

You mean Fitzgerald the test-match Lion? The point of my comment wasn't to say all of the names listed were better than him, it was more showing how he always had to fight for his place against good players (and often won it). If they had been absent he would have had even more caps. The way you interpreted my comment was incredibly belligerent and paranoid. Lose the siege mentality, it's not 1974.
But always remember that-
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean we're not out to get you".
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Appenrtly some season tickets are going ape sh*t that they have to pay for the play-off game. Ulster rugby have told them the best they could negotiate with the Pro14 is a 20% discount.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

paddyor wrote:Appenrtly some season tickets are going ape sh*t that they have to pay for the play-off game. Ulster rugby have told them the best they could negotiate with the Pro14 is a 20% discount.
Don't worry about those Facebook ones, some complaints are probably not even season ticket holders, playoffs are always additional cost..
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Sunday afternoon might even get us a few protesters at the gates
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

rooster wrote:

Huge Trimble fan. I was delighted when he hit the best form of his career in 2014 - he was a player to whom a lot of people gave a hard time, and had written off to a large extent.

If you remember, Tommy Bowe had a couple of injuries that season [first the broken hand/wrist thing from the Lions, then a torn groin after the last-minute match against the All Blacks], and there was a load of noise from Munster about Joe Schmidt not picking Zebo for the Six Nations - some of it really baleful, suggesting that he was so prejudiced against Munster that he'd pick Andrew Trimble over Zebo ... and then Trimble went out and monstered the tournament, and all the pros in the country voted him their player of the year!

He has long come across as a modest and dry-witted character and a class act. He'll be missed in more places than Ulster.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

He'd been dropped from the squad for the AIs as well in 2013.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles