Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:What has Rea done to impress you? He seems very weak in contact to me, isn't a good carrier, and has struggled to keep up with play at times.

Timoney has shown more alright but still been very average IMO. Finished his try really well last week but in general I would say that he's a hard working defender who doesn't add much else and gives away stupid penalties. He too looks under powered to me.

If they were at Leinster they would both be below Doris in the pecking order IMO. They're both still young so I'm not writing them off, but haven't seen anything to suggest that they're good enough to start next season.
I thought he made some good carries and had a decent work rate. Will be watching him like a hawk now and hes guaranteed a stinker at the weekend :)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:What has Rea done to impress you? He seems very weak in contact to me, isn't a good carrier, and has struggled to keep up with play at times.

Timoney has shown more alright but still been very average IMO. Finished his try really well last week but in general I would say that he's a hard working defender who doesn't add much else and gives away stupid penalties. He too looks under powered to me.

If they were at Leinster they would both be below Doris in the pecking order IMO. They're both still young so I'm not writing them off, but haven't seen anything to suggest that they're good enough to start next season.

His physicality in the tackle; his clearouts at breakdown and his lifting / blocking in line-out were all points I noted. Good support lines on ball carriers in open play but his own ball-carrying needs improvement. What Timoney has added this term is the quality of ball carrying and tackling. Neither are perfect by any means but both are improving to a decent standard and getting enough game time to do so rapidly.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ha, I respect your opinion hugely RTB but haven't seen that physicality at all. As I said, I've thought the opposite. The only thing I agree with is Timoney's tackling, he's Jordilike in his chop tackling and eagerness to get back up and go again.

To be fair to them it's hard to play in that pack and as part of a back row where they're both learning their trade, hope they improve.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Ha, I respect your opinion hugely RTB but haven't seen that physicality at all. As I said, I've thought the opposite. The only thing I agree with is Timoney's tackling, he's Jordilike in his chop tackling and eagerness to get back up and go again.

To be fair to them it's hard to play in that pack and as part of a back row where they're both learning their trade, hope they improve.
They will probably be playing in the back row together for the rest of the season
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Any sign of an outhalf?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:Any sign of an outhalf?
Wasnt steven donald confirmed?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

No they said last week that it would be announced this week, but no sign of it.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:No they said last week that it would be announced this week, but no sign of it.
Cheers

And Rea is only on the bench now. Think Hendo at 6 is a mistake for this one, they need the mobility
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I actually watched the second half of the Ulster game again and it backed up what I said about Rea and Timoney. They really weren't involved enough, particularly Rea, and they both stood beside an awful lot of rucks making no impact. Rea didn't look fit to me. However, Henderson was unbelievable, he got through the work of two or three men, really really impressive. AOC also worked really hard.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:No they said last week that it would be announced this week, but no sign of it.
Was supposed to be mentioned last week which then became this week then they announced Bowe retiring, so either deal has fallen through yet again or they are wanting some good news for next week as a certain unmentionable court case starts on Monday
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

rooster wrote:
Was supposed to be mentioned last week which then became this week then they announced Bowe retiring, so either deal has fallen through yet again or they are wanting some good news for next week as a certain unmentionable court case starts on Monday
I guess we're not supposed to talk about it but what if any press coverage have the NI print/radio given it?
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

TerenureJim wrote:
rooster wrote:
I guess we're not supposed to talk about it but what if any press coverage have the NI print/radio given it?
Every paper and news station has mentioned all hearings to date which were just preliminary things to disclose evidence to both sides fix dates etc but the show starts for real on Monday morning

Just found out yesterday though that Stephen Donald got married on Friday so that may have been the delay if it actually is him and nothing sinister at all.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

BBC Norn Iron report that Donald signing not going ahead because he is injured
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

enby wrote:BBC Norn Iron report that Donald signing not going ahead because he is injured
That's bad luck. What will they do now?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:
enby wrote:BBC Norn Iron report that Donald signing not going ahead because he is injured
Slip Eddie a dickie diver and have the meeja bandwagon drag Carbry from us
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Yeah but he's in the 6N squad now, so they'd get him a week before any potential qf
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:
Look up the Japanese squad pages on wikipedia
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruan after yesterdays game.
“I miss Ulster, I miss Belfast and I miss the people there,” said Pienaar. “It’s been seven years that it was my home.

“I won’t say that I’m not missing it, but the boys have a big game tomorrow against Wasps, so hopefully they can go well and put in a big performance. But we’re coping and surviving in Montpellier so far!”
Pass the bleedin kleenex!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

It never was confirmed by anyone official to begin with so perhaps BBC actually got it wrong from the start
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Like Marshall made comeback this weekend I think. Play him 10. Might be better for him anyway.