Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » August 8th, 2017, 12:58 pm

That's a bizarre argument.

I don't think the NIQ rules state that you can sign/re-sign someone if another province doesn't already have a player in that position and/or two of your players are charged with rape.

I don't like Nucifora, but the hate for him is ridiculous. If Ulster end up getting Donald then that's a good thing on Nucifora's part. I wouldn't go overboard with how good he is though, been a long time since he was at his best and despite having a bit of a resurgence he's still had some very poor years too. In the circumstances he'd be great though, can't see them doing any better anyway.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 10157
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby johng » August 8th, 2017, 1:26 pm

The first rule of NIQ club is THERE ARE NO RULES. The "rules" published a few years ago were downgraded to "guidelines" not long after.

Each case is judged on it's own merits. Not that difficult when there are only 15 or so players in total to consider.

Pienaar is known to not fancy playing 10. But that was mainly because he wanted to play 9 for the Boks. I would say he would have only been too happy to play 10 in the absence of Whacko. Something that was known about at the time and could have been used as a bargaining chip in contract negotiations.
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16647
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby Dave Cahill » August 8th, 2017, 1:28 pm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That's a bizarre argument.

I don't think the NIQ rules state that you can sign/re-sign someone if another province doesn't already have a player in that position and/or two of your players are charged with rape.

I don't like Nucifora, but the hate for him is ridiculous. If Ulster end up getting Donald then that's a good thing on Nucifora's part. I wouldn't go overboard with how good he is though, been a long time since he was at his best and despite having a bit of a resurgence he's still had some very poor years too. In the circumstances he'd be great though, can't see them doing any better anyway.




The NIQ rules, which we saw last season don't actually exist, have nothing to do with this whatsoever, so I don't know why you're bringing it up. Nucifora knew this was coming down the line. Nucifora knew that Ulster were likely to need a significantly qualified outhalf. Nucifora forced a significantly qualified outhalf out of Ulster. Now Nucifora is trying to source a significantly qualified outhalf for Ulster. This isn't expecting him to be wise before the event, he was privy to the information back in November - and what did he do? He went on his holidays.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20460
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby rooster » August 8th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That's a bizarre argument.

I don't think the NIQ rules state that you can sign/re-sign someone if another province doesn't already have a player in that position and/or two of your players are charged with rape.

I don't like Nucifora, but the hate for him is ridiculous. If Ulster end up getting Donald then that's a good thing on Nucifora's part. I wouldn't go overboard with how good he is though, been a long time since he was at his best and despite having a bit of a resurgence he's still had some very poor years too. In the circumstances he'd be great though, can't see them doing any better anyway.




The NIQ rules, which we saw last season don't actually exist, have nothing to do with this whatsoever, so I don't know why you're bringing it up. Nucifora knew this was coming down the line. Nucifora knew that Ulster were likely to need a significantly qualified outhalf. Nucifora forced a significantly qualified outhalf out of Ulster. Now Nucifora is trying to source a significantly qualified outhalf for Ulster. This isn't expecting him to be wise before the event, he was privy to the information back in November - and what did he do? He went on his holidays.

He was privy to the information way before that Dave, even before it broke in the press IRFU knew Jackson was not going to Chicago "for personal reasons"
User avatar
rooster
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2862
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby fourthirtythree » August 8th, 2017, 3:36 pm

If Nucifora didn't factor Pienaar in as a starting 10 for ulster this year it could've because Pienaar isn't actually good enough to be a starting outhalf if ulster want to progress. Or even tread water. He's a huge loss as a scrumhalf. As an outhalg he's a versatile nine.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8488
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby Dave Cahill » August 8th, 2017, 3:50 pm

fourthirtythree wrote:If Nucifora didn't factor Pienaar in as a starting 10 for ulster this year it could've because Pienaar isn't actually good enough to be a starting outhalf if ulster want to progress. Or even tread water. He's a huge loss as a scrumhalf. As an outhalg he's a versatile nine.


Is he any worse as an outhalf to any of the options Ulster are looking at though? Probably not - the guy played international rugby at 10 for what was at the time the best team in the world. On top of which there'd be no settling in time, no learning time needed - he would have been already there. Also, with a new scrum half in there, who better to guide him through his settling in and learning period from the 10 slot than his predecessor and one of the best of the modern era? There was no way for Ulster or Irish rugby to lose out.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20460
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby johng » August 8th, 2017, 4:03 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:If Nucifora didn't factor Pienaar in as a starting 10 for ulster this year it could've because Pienaar isn't actually good enough to be a starting outhalf if ulster want to progress. Or even tread water. He's a huge loss as a scrumhalf. As an outhalg he's a versatile nine.


Is he any worse as an outhalf to any of the options Ulster are looking at though? Probably not - the guy played international rugby at 10 for what was at the time the best team in the world. On top of which there'd be no settling in time, no learning time needed - he would have been already there. Also, with a new scrum half in there, who better to guide him through his settling in and learning period from the 10 slot than his predecessor and one of the best of the modern era? There was no way for Ulster or Irish rugby to lose out.

Precisely.
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16647
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Ulster 17/18

Postby Morf » August 8th, 2017, 4:12 pm

johng wrote:I hear rumors that Jonno Gibbes is bringing Stephen Donald to Ulster for obvious reasons


Am I the only one who thought 'fishing'?
User avatar
Morf
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: April 26th, 2011, 2:20 am

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby rooster » August 8th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:If Nucifora didn't factor Pienaar in as a starting 10 for ulster this year it could've because Pienaar isn't actually good enough to be a starting outhalf if ulster want to progress. Or even tread water. He's a huge loss as a scrumhalf. As an outhalg he's a versatile nine.


Is he any worse as an outhalf to any of the options Ulster are looking at though? Probably not - the guy played international rugby at 10 for what was at the time the best team in the world. On top of which there'd be no settling in time, no learning time needed - he would have been already there. Also, with a new scrum half in there, who better to guide him through his settling in and learning period from the 10 slot than his predecessor and one of the best of the modern era? There was no way for Ulster or Irish rugby to lose out.
He also takes the kicking pressure of any young 10 till he gets the rest of his game sorted.
Anyway not here and not sure Donald will be here either, there was supposed to be someone ready to sign weeks ago but we didn't have clearance to seal the deal.
User avatar
rooster
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2862
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » August 8th, 2017, 11:41 pm

rooster wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:


The NIQ rules, which we saw last season don't actually exist, have nothing to do with this whatsoever, so I don't know why you're bringing it up. Nucifora knew this was coming down the line. Nucifora knew that Ulster were likely to need a significantly qualified outhalf. Nucifora forced a significantly qualified outhalf out of Ulster. Now Nucifora is trying to source a significantly qualified outhalf for Ulster. This isn't expecting him to be wise before the event, he was privy to the information back in November - and what did he do? He went on his holidays.

He was privy to the information way before that Dave, even before it broke in the press IRFU knew Jackson was not going to Chicago "for personal reasons"


Because that's why Pienaar left...obviously. If he was Irish I suspect he'd have been allowed to stay.

He's also a scrumhalf by and large, so this would have given him an easy out with the fans but that's about all..and like I said, would have had to have been granted based on potential charges, which would clearly be awful logic for a whole host of reasons. Imagine explaining that to the public back in January or whenever it was that Pienaar left? The budget implications?

Also my understanding was that nobody expected the lads to be charged. Getting into the States with anything dodgy hanging over you can be tricky, that doesn't equate to charges being anticipated.

Rooster you really lose all objectivity when it comes to Nucifora and just go along with whatever suits your agenda against him. Ulster need an outhalf because of a dire and reasonably unexpected situation, and it looks like they're going to get one. So stop moaning about Nucifora/Pienaar and just be thankful that you won't be lumped with an IQ ten. If that doesn't happen then go for Nucifora with both barrels but for now it's a bit ridiculous IMO.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 10157
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby Ruckedtobits » August 10th, 2017, 5:06 pm

Ruiradh Jackson signs one-year contract with Glasgow, moving back from Harlequins.

I have quietly keeping my eye on him as a possible Ulster signing. He would have been very suitable and knows our league.

Have my eye on two others in NH clubs but we'll just have to wait and see.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2868
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby simonokeeffe » August 10th, 2017, 6:41 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:Ruiradh Jackson signs one-year contract with Glasgow, moving back from Harlequins.

I have quietly keeping my eye on him as a possible Ulster signing. He would have been very suitable and knows our league.

Have my eye on two others in NH clubs but we'll just have to wait and see.


Main motivator in moving back to Scotland according to him was more Scotland caps so doubt he was ever a runner
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15911
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby rooster » August 10th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Well it does appear we have found a NIQ 10 and not one who has been mentioned hereo or anywhere else
LeRoux, the only gripe I have with Nucifora is he has the man management skills and decency of a psychopathic tasmanian devil .
And by the way once the Jackson case hit the press before it even was a case that was the turning point when it certainly was going to court.
User avatar
rooster
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2862
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby simonokeeffe » August 10th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Who is the ten?

Bristol have announced Piutau is joining them next season
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15911
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby rooster » August 10th, 2017, 7:18 pm

simonokeeffe wrote:Who is the ten?

Bristol have announced Piutau is joining them next season
Piutau was always going end of season, to be honest it baffled most of us why he was hired in the first instance instead of a back row.
As for the 10 he is a real surprise addition and I wish the lad well with his time with us.
Announcement possibly tomorrow.
User avatar
rooster
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2862
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby sunshiner1 » August 11th, 2017, 4:29 am

As for the 10 he is a real surprise addition and I wish the lad well with his time with us.
Announcement possibly tomorrow.


A welcome addition or a Meh addition?
sunshiner1
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 496
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby johng » August 11th, 2017, 7:32 am

So It's not Donald Stephens then?
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16647
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby simonokeeffe » August 11th, 2017, 7:56 am

Not sure whether it sounds leftfield like a Nicky Robinson or "mercurial" like Michalak

Peter Grant is available and is South African too
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15911
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Ulster 17/18

Postby the spoofer » August 11th, 2017, 10:14 am

hugonaut wrote:
johng wrote:I hear rumors that Jonno Gibbes is bringing Stephen Donald to Ulster for obvious reasons


Good rumour!

Would like to see Beaver in the league. He's a good player and a great bloke.


Would he fit in with Ulsters unique "culture".
User avatar
the spoofer
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2106
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Postby Dave Cahill » August 11th, 2017, 10:59 am

Big name if the rumours are correct
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20460
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

PreviousNext

Return to General Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: olaf the fat and 3 guests