Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by simonokeeffe »

rooster wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
rooster wrote:Meanwhile we have Southern Kings at home on Friday to break Jonno in easily
Yeah if you cant win that 50 nil theres no hope
We struggled to beat them over there !
I know :)

Kings are muck though, especially on the road, especially in NW Europe in February conditions
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

ronk wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Oh well, good that the unreasonable outrage shown by the media and the public alike forced the Judge to mention it in court which actually DOES make a big deal out of a visit that could otherwise have been kept quite quiet.
You saved me the trouble of writing that.

This is a really good example of why it's the right policy not to comment during trials. I hope people here will take that onboard

You actually think the judge commented on this, to the jury, in order to spare Best's reputation or something? It's rather more likely he did it to ensure the jury wasn't prejudiced by this high profile support. Just because defence council was playing silly buggers does not mean Best had to turn up. What was with the matching outfits by the way?

What would have been quieter is if famous people stayed away, if he wanted both sides he could have asked his mate and then read the prosecution statement.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

No, I actually think that YOU shouldn’t be commenting.

The judge was acting to mitigate possible damage to the integrity of the trial by irresponsible media/social media, he didn’t admonish Best for his actions.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote:
ronk wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Oh well, good that the unreasonable outrage shown by the media and the public alike forced the Judge to mention it in court which actually DOES make a big deal out of a visit that could otherwise have been kept quite quiet.

This is a really good example of why it's the right policy not to comment during trials. I hope people here will take that onboard

You actually think the judge commented on this, to the jury, in order to spare Best's reputation or something? It's rather more likely he did it to ensure the jury wasn't prejudiced by this high profile support. Just because defence council was playing silly buggers does not mean Best had to turn up. What was with the matching outfits by the way?

What would have been quieter is if famous people stayed away, if he wanted both sides he could have asked his mate and then read the prosecution statement.
She, the Judge is female.
Tut, tut 433. You just assumed eh?
Typical.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote:

BUt, like outrage?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

ronk wrote:No, I actually think that YOU shouldn’t be commenting.

The judge was acting to mitigate possible damage to the integrity of the trial by irresponsible media/social media, he didn’t admonish Best for his actions.
Quoting the judge herself (thanks Blockhead!) "the only reason Mr Rory Best was in this court last week was because he was directed to be here by senior counsel.

“That’s the reason why he was here, and as a jury you should know that.”

Firstly, and quite obviously, the word "directed" is a fudge, it gives the impression that Best had to be there, when in fact of course he did not.

Secondly, this is addressed to the jury to ensure that their opinions are not biased by his presence. His role in this, insofar as he has one, only occurs post verdict if they are found guilty.

It would be better if they hadn't treated the trial as a circus. He's entitled to be there as a member of the public of course. Just because something is allowed does not mean it's a good idea.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:

Quoting the judge herself (thanks Blockhead!) "the only reason Mr Rory Best was in this court last week was because he was directed to be here by senior counsel.

Firstly, and quite obviously, the word "directed" is a fudge, it gives the impression that Best had to be there, when in fact of course he did not.

Secondly, this is addressed to the jury to ensure that their opinions are not biased by his presence. His role in this, insofar as he has one, only occurs post verdict if they are found guilty.

It would be better if they hadn't treated the trial as a circus. He's entitled to be there as a member of the public of course. Just because something is allowed does not mean it's a good idea.
I see it the same as ronk, that the judge felt compelled to say something because of the media/twitter reaction. Don't think she was standing up for Best, I think she was ensuring that the jury don't feel under pressure after what they'll have undoubtedly seen online. For me, the pressure from people boycotting the match and vilifying Best with the hashtag "notmycaptain" far outweighed any issues with him attending.

On your last point about it not being a good idea, I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I think the outrage shown by people made it a far bigger deal than it should have been. One of the stupidest things about it was people wanting Best to comment on it last week. So they thought it was intimidating for him to show up, but then wanted the Ireland captain to use the platform he has to publicly explain himself?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

fourthirtythree wrote:
ronk wrote:

Famous people should stay away from court cases? Just because they're famous?
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

I'd agree with that, strange decision by the judge.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

The Judge is a Woman by the way. I hope you didn't assume the Judge to be a man, :wink:
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

fourthirtythree wrote:

:clap:

His presence cannot be read in any other way than support for the accused, to influence the jury. Perhaps Rory Best is being used, only he and those that asked him know the true intentions. But his presence cannot be read in any other way than support. The judge addressed the jury in a neutral form of words as possible, but felt she had to do so, why ? because the jury would be influenced by a figure such as Rory Best. Which is why he was asked to attend in the 1st place.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

The assumption that the judge made a comment just because of the social media aspect is pretty fanciful, Best and 2 other household name rugby players were in the public gallery for the Jury and all to see. The jury is instructed not to read, actively seek out any outside comment on the case. A stretch I know, but also they would be projected from such as much as possible.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Social media / media comment on the friend and teammate of alleged rapists turning up in court when they didn't have too is not surprising is it ? All 3 of them are Irish internationals, 2 of them current, 2 of them in Ireland camp and one of them being captain, you think that doesn't merit comment ? They represent our country.

If you believe, like I do that this was a predictable grubby move to influence public opinion and the jury when the alleged victim is under cross examination, you'd be very disappointed. Disappointed enough to make comment on it. I'm not calling for anyone's head here or anywhere else, I'm saying its disappointing and ill advised. Best and the 2 others.
drive for 5
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

I will be surprised if there does not be a media embargo called on this trial after the past few days, no jury in today just legal teams sorting out some business.

Anyway we probably will have young McPhilips now at 10 for the remainder of the season as he would appear to be the best option available
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

In the interests of progressing the discussion (in particular away from the court case) is it time to shut down the Ulster 17/18 thread....and move directly on to next year's Ulster 18/19 thread.....?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

brotheroffrank wrote:In the interests of progressing the discussion (in particular away from the court case) is it time to shut down the Ulster 17/18 thread....and move directly on to next year's Ulster 18/19 thread.....?
There is the slight matter of the Pro14 to ve concluded.
No doubt the our French and Englush rivals would love your suggestion.
You're a Saracens supporter I presume. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

brotheroffrank wrote:In the interests of progressing the discussion (in particular away from the court case) is it time to shut down the Ulster 17/18 thread....and move directly on to next year's Ulster 18/19 thread.....?
Awe come on now, we are bad but not a total write off just yet, might get to see some new young lads get some game time etc and discover if our academy 10's are any use.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Looking forward to seeing McPhilips play, it would also be nice to see a few new faces get a chance
drive for 5
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by rooster

I will be surprised if there does not be a media embargo called on this trial after the past few days, no jury in today just legal teams sorting out some business.
I'd like to see an embargo here. I came here to talk about rugby, not the finer points of British law.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

BlueBlue wrote:Looking forward to seeing McPhilips play, it would also be nice to see a few new faces get a chance
He has done OK in his appearances so far and it is good when he plays with Cooney as he can take some pressure off him and take the kicks.
Not sure if any others will get included as the best of them are in U20 side for 6 Nations