Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by johng »

Just noticed the huge advantage Ulster have over us in the fixtures.

Not only do they have 11 home games and 10 away while we have the opposite, but they have Glasgow, Ospreys and Cheetahs at HOME and Cardiff and Zebre away while we also have the opposite.

That has already bitten us as we lost to the Cheetahs while they won.

Bastids. We better beat them home and away for that.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Scarlets have Munster, Cheetahs and Zebre away. Connacht and Glasgow at home.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:
rooster wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Any word on Jared Payne?
Was supposed to be fit last week
supposed to have been available for selection or just training fully again? (sorry for all the questions)

or was that just the scheduled return? which makes it more worrying
Here is our latest according to BBC, I had heard at the start of the season Payne would be close to European games befre he would play so that info is now looking right and not the "next week" stuff Kiss has been spouting for last 3 weeks.
Jean Deysel, Christian Lealiifano and John Cooney could feature for Ulster against Zebre on Saturday but Marcell Coetzee will again miss out.

Deysel missed last weekend's hammering of the Dragons because of an eye injury while half-backs Lealiifano and Cooney were rested for the game.

Coetzee hasn't played since the opening win over the Cheetahs on 1 September.

The flanker has had two bad knee injuries in recent years but Ulster say his current knee issue is not serious.

Coetzee's first Ulster campaign saw him playing only four games as he suffered two knee injuries in an 11-month period.

British & Irish Lions player Jared Payne will also have to wait at least another week to make his first appearance of the season.

Ulster and Ireland captain Rory Best is expected to be ruled out for another five weeks because of a hamstring injury while Craig Gilroy is likely to play no rugby until around Christmas after suffering a stress fracture in his lower back.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cotzee gone back to SA for treatment.
Ulster scrum coach Aaron Dundon told reporters last week that he hoped Cotzee would be available this week, but the province has issued a statement with the latest developments after suffering a set-back in training.

"Marcell Coetzee suffered a recurrence of left knee pain and swelling in training," it read.

"Due to the ongoing problems with this knee, he is travelling back to South Africa to seek the opinion of the surgeon who performed his original ACL repair. Ulster Rugby will provide a further update following this consultation."
They really need him back ASAP.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

blockhead wrote:Cotzee gone back to SA for treatment.
Ulster scrum coach Aaron Dundon told reporters last week that he hoped Cotzee would be available this week, but the province has issued a statement with the latest developments after suffering a set-back in training.

"Marcell Coetzee suffered a recurrence of left knee pain and swelling in training," it read.

"Due to the ongoing problems with this knee, he is travelling back to South Africa to seek the opinion of the surgeon who performed his original ACL repair. Ulster Rugby will provide a further update following this consultation."
They really need him back ASAP.
I seriously doubt that he will be back, he was having a consultation here according to earlier report and this seems like second opinion time or else the first report was lies.
Rumour has it that the first ACL is gone again.
Sadly I think his career is over but just hope for his sake that it is not.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

He has the same problem as Ferris. He is an explosive athlete and that puts great strain on the joints.

Knowing his troubles knee history, it was a surprise to me that he never slimmed down a bit. I saw him against Cheetahs a few weeks ago and he looked about 18st or more.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Teams for tomorrow.
Ulster: C Piutau; T Bowe, L Marshall, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; C Leali'ifano, J Cooney; K McCall, R Herring, W Herbst; A O'Connor, K Treadwell; I Henderson, C Henry, J Deysel.

Replacements: J Andrew, A Warwick, R Ah You, R Diack, S Reidy, P Marshall, P Nelson, L Ludik.

Connacht: T O'Halloran; C Kelleher, B Aki, T Farell, M Healy; J Carty, K Marmion; D Buckley, T McCartney, F Bealham; U Dillane, Q Roux; E McKeon, J Butler, J Muldoon.

Replacements: D Heffernan, D Coulson, C Carey, J Cannon, E Masterson, C Blade, S Crosbie, E Griffin.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:Teams for tomorrow.
Ulster: C Piutau; T Bowe, L Marshall, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; C Leali'ifano, J Cooney; K McCall, R Herring, W Herbst; A O'Connor, K Treadwell; I Henderson, C Henry, J Deysel.

Replacements: J Andrew, A Warwick, R Ah You, R Diack, S Reidy, P Marshall, P Nelson, L Ludik.

Connacht: T O'Halloran; C Kelleher, B Aki, T Farell, M Healy; J Carty, K Marmion; D Buckley, T McCartney, F Bealham; U Dillane, Q Roux; E McKeon, J Butler, J Muldoon.

Replacements: D Heffernan, D Coulson, C Carey, J Cannon, E Masterson, C Blade, S Crosbie, E Griffin.
Hard to see Ulster fupping this up, some interesting battles/opportunities for guys to impress with Ireland in mind

Hendo & Treadwell v Dillane & Roux
Herbst v Bealham
Cooney v Marmion
Marshall v Aki
Stockdale and McCartney dark horses too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote:Just noticed the huge advantage Ulster have over us in the fixtures.

Not only do they have 11 home games and 10 away while we have the opposite, but they have Glasgow, Ospreys and Cheetahs at HOME and Cardiff and Zebre away while we also have the opposite.

That has already bitten us as we lost to the Cheetahs while they won.

Bastids. We better beat them home and away for that.
This whinge didn't really age well.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

We have coach though who changes around 10 players each week and either no defensive system or one which no one understands
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

rooster wrote:We have coach though who changes around 10 players each week and either no defensive system or one which no one understands
Worked well until Ulster got skinned by Zebre last week. Scarlets was a big scalp, no? Kiss/Gibbs is a good ticket, they'll get it right.
The extended Pienarr exit huff is colouring everyones view up North still, me thinks.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

blockhead wrote:
rooster wrote:We have coach though who changes around 10 players each week and either no defensive system or one which no one understands
Worked well until Ulster got skinned by Zebre last week. Scarlets was a big scalp, no? Kiss/Gibbs is a good ticket, they'll get it right.
The extended Pienarr exit huff is colouring everyones view up North still, me thinks.
No the lack of confidence in Kiss has nothing to do with Ruan, Gibbes is good but Kiss has final say in team and is defence coach.
He frequently changes team around during training and will even change it after Captains run , we don't have any coordination in defence and it was only a matter of time till the wheels fell off the winning run.
The man consistently waffles in press conferences and also in the team talks, punters and players alike are confused a what he is trying to achieve.
My own view and also many others is we would be better off with Gibbes being boss and a proper defence coach brought in.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

rooster wrote:
blockhead wrote:
No the lack of confidence in Kiss has nothing to do with Ruan, Gibbes is good but Kiss has final say in team and is defence coach.
He frequently changes team around during training and will even change it after Captains run , we don't have any coordination in defence and it was only a matter of time till the wheels fell off the winning run.
The man consistently waffles in press conferences and also in the team talks, punters and players alike are confused a what he is trying to achieve.
My own view and also many others is we would be better off with Gibbes being boss and a proper defence coach brought in.
Maybe that's the plan, you hope. :twisted:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Oldschool wrote:
rooster wrote:
blockhead wrote: Worked well until Ulster got skinned by Zebre last week. Scarlets was a big scalp, no? Kiss/Gibbs is a good ticket, they'll get it right.
Maybe that's the plan, you hope. :twisted:
As far as I can gather Kiss contact runs until 20/21 season
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

cormac wrote:Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
The booooing was because of the refusal of the ref to look at a replay of a dangerous collision where Piutau got a shoulder to the upper chest/neck region.
Officials were dire last night right from the start when Stockdale got taken out in the air right in front of an assistant
Match was dire as well, seen more excitement at a wake.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Phewwewweewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwew.
If you were an Ulster fan.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

rooster wrote:
The booooing was because of the refusal of the ref to look at a replay of a dangerous collision where Piutau got a shoulder to the upper chest/neck region.
Officials were dire last night right from the start when Stockdale got taken out in the air right in front of an assistant
Match was dire as well, seen more excitement at a wake.
Think it was a peno but nothing more.
Piutau milked it a bit afterwards.
Fitzmonkee was TMO enough said.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ref was brutal to both teams

Stockdale has to start at 11 against Fiji
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:Ref was brutal to both teams

Stockdale has to start at 11 against Fiji
Not unless he learns:
a) to pass to players in support; and,
b) how to cut inward against weak shoulders and use his pace and power.

No question, he's got pace, power and decent footballing instincts but he doesn't use what he has effectively