Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:semi obscure? :D
:lol:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

paddyor wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:I hindsight, should they not have told Ferris and others to put their ego in their pocket and get on with the job when they had the heave against Anscombe? When the team is performing well, you've got to back the coach over players who have (not for the first time) moved against a coach. McCall, Matt Williams (seemingly justified in that case) being other examples.
As Paddyor mentions, Anscombe apparently manouvered himself to an untenable position.
ANd it was the IRFU who did it and they didn't do it at the behest of the players.
Suffice to say there were a couple of "incidents" one in particular sealed his dismissal
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

tease
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Looking very ropey for Ulster so far. Lucky to be only 3-0 down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Somehow Ulster have managed to score two tries to one. An undeserved yellow card on LR helped.

Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Two tries to none but I take your point.

Four Stars
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Massive swing in the game when La Rochelle didn't take their early chances and suffered the yellow card. I've been impressed with Ulster since then but La Rochelle gave in too easily.

The yellow card incident really reminded me of Lowe in Thomond Park, think it officially needs to be looked at now.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Big win by Ulster. Glad for them. Hopefully this leads to better things.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:Big win by Ulster. Glad for them. Hopefully this leads to better things.
It will lead to Marty Moore being first choice next season :mullet 1:
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Big win by Ulster. Glad for them. Hopefully this leads to better things.
Boom-boom. You’re absolutely right. With that front five, it’s a wonder that Ulster are still anywhere near contention in two competitions.

suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Not sure how John Cooney's left arm neck high tackle on the La Rochelle try scorer wasn't looked at it. I think he got away with it cos the try was scored. Could well have been more serious.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

they will rue the LBP that they allowed to La Rochelle. If ever there was a time for a drop goal routine it was in this match
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

enby wrote:they will rue the LBP that they allowed to La Rochelle. If ever there was a time for a drop goal routine it was in this match
Yeah- the Sky lads were getting excited about the fourth try- but in playing your likely direct rival for qualification, it’s as important to deprive them of a point. They were lucky to survive at all though. Felt they got a lot of luck- and didn’t make a lot of it.

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

artaneboy wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Boom-boom. You’re absolutely right. With that front five, it’s a wonder that Ulster are still anywhere near contention in two competitions.

not starting Treadwell looked curious alright

some weak a$$ tackling by La Rochelle at times and Rory best would be my answers
Lealifano had a stinker and all
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ulster's much maligned tight-five (usually fairly maligned) really stood up today. The scrum still struggled, but line-out was good and they were competitive at the breakdown and the general collisions. Fair play to the likes of Timoney, Reidy, Rea, O'Connor and Ah You, who really stepped up against the odds.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

A rather pleasing result yesterday, not only the score but for the first time this season they actually looked like they wanted to play and things came together.
Anyway missed opportunity to drop a goal at the end and put 2 points between us and La Rochelle, now to win the group we will have to match them next week as they have us on points in the 2 head to heads.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Tommy Bowe announces his retirement.
A great career.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

blockhead wrote:Tommy Bowe announces his retirement.
A great career.
Ah God! I thought it was inevitable when he got injured on Saturday. The final straw...

Great player at his best. A nice lad too.

I wish him the best of luck in whatever he does next- clothing and footwear will probably be part of it.

Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

artaneboy wrote:
blockhead wrote:Tommy Bowe announces his retirement.
A great career.
Ah God! I thought it was inevitable when he got injured on Saturday. The final straw...

Great player at his best. A nice lad too.

I wish him the best of luck in whatever he does next- clothing and footwear will probably be part of it.

I had the same thought. He has not had a clear run in years. He comes back from injury, gets fit and gets injured again. Full fit there might be some more miles in him but there is a limit to the number of times you can keep coming back before you have to call time. I hope the injury is not the last we see of him. It is always a pity when a great player goes that way. It is always nicer to get that final game.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He's had a tough couple of years and this is really cruel timing to get injured again. He has been in awful form at times but had got back to playing quite well recently so I was hoping he'd finish strongly, fingers crossed he still can.

There can be a tendency towards hyperbole when a player retires but for me he really is the best Irish winger I've seen, and comfortably so. From about 2008-2013 he was absolutely top class. Strong in every department and a big unit in his prime, but his real strong point was the lines he'd pick, and I don't think I've seen anyone better at running a line off the back of a lineout. He was a bit unfortunate that his very best years coincided with Kidney's worst for us but he still has an incredible body of work behind him, and that Grand Slam try will be shown time and again for many years to come. Himself and Trimble are two of my favourite players and they'll both be missed when they're gone.

Thanks Tommy :happy clapper: