Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by hugonaut »

rooster wrote:Tough as old boots was Wannenburg and the last decent ball carrier we had.
Nick Williams!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

We mentioned this in the Connacht thread. Godwin is a 12 who sometimes plays 10. Might be good enough for Ulster as I can't imagine there is a lot of options right now.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

hugonaut wrote:
rooster wrote:Tough as old boots was Wannenburg and the last decent ball carrier we had.
Nick Williams!
Not near Wannenburg for reliability
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

rooster wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
Nick Williams!
Henderson not much of a ball carrier?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

NICK WILLIAMS!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

hugonaut wrote:NICK WILLIAMS!
NOEL REID
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

TerenureJim wrote:
rooster wrote:
hugonaut wrote: Nick Williams!
Henderson not much of a ball carrier?
We so rarely see him it is not of consequence in a normal match
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Williams had one great year and one for luck

The aussie 12 they just had made a decent fist of 10 :)
Maybe they see it as he can ALSO cover 12 as they cant rely on Olding at the best of times and Payne looks goosed
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Our clown of a CEO has done a wee video
https://youtu.be/3f46h49Oi1Q
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think he's to be credited for that.

I think those questions wouldn't be hugely different to what any disgruntled Ulster fan would ask, and while he has answered them with obvious bias (in that he believes he has a way out of this), at least he has answered them. He could've easily chosen to answer a range of softballs.

There are also a few things in there which put across a different side of the story than is usually told with Ulster.

It would be worse if he was putting the head in the sand. Whether he's the right man for the job is to be debated, but calling a man a 'clown' for facing the music like this is a bit much.

This comment about 'best in the world' keeps coming back to bite him, and I can never really understand why. Sure it hasn't been delivered on, but at least he was bold enough to say it. Would Ulster fans rather a CEO with low expectations? Of all the things to have an issue with, I'm not sure why that has become a lightning rod.

Kiss and Logan get huge heat, and at times rightly so, but Gibbes, Peel and particularly the players need to take a lot of onus for the utterly awful performances, and fans need to realise that the PJ/Olding scenario is a huge anomaly that was difficult to plan for.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Have to wonder at this point if it would be in Ireland’s best interests to have Stockdale at Leinster :twisted:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

rooster wrote:Our clown of a CEO has done a wee video
https://youtu.be/3f46h49Oi1Q
I'm with @wijford on this and think its the right response to many comments that he's been invisible. His answers seem straighforward and unscripted, but clearly prepared and appriate to the specific criticisms that have been levelled.

Well done Shane Logan. Clear answers to most of the questions Ulster fans wanted answered. Mightened agree with all the answers and certainly the degree of optimism but at least we now know where the Red Hand is headed.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:Whether he's the right man for the job is to be debated, but calling a man a 'clown' for facing the music like this is a bit much.
But he isn't facing the music, he's facing a camera in an entirely controlled and scripted situation, facing the music would have been attending the Supporters Club Q&A the other night.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Also, anyone notice when the video was published? Good to see that corporate knowledge is shared in Irish Rugby. Signing a drug cheat? Announce it the day the Lions team for a series deciding test match is released. Under pressure for not appearing in public? Release a video during the game that will decide Irelands 6 Nations title. :lol: :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the42.ie has taken a swipe at the timing of the video as well along with the natures of certain answers.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Whether he's the right man for the job is to be debated, but calling a man a 'clown' for facing the music like this is a bit much.
But he isn't facing the music, he's facing a camera in an entirely controlled and scripted situation, facing the music would have been attending the Supporters Club Q&A the other night.
Well he is, in that the questions being asked are fairly hard hitting and he would obviously have had to sign off on them.

Certainly it's strange timing, and the chance to challenge him on his answers would be welcomed, but as I say I think the abuse that's being doled out is ridiculous and over the top.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Especially as a number of those answers were, quite frankly, b*%&!x. His answer on coaching turnover, for example, would make Sir Humphrey Appleby rise from his grave to give him a slap.
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:Especially as a number of those answers were, quite frankly, b*%&!x. His answer on coaching turnover, for example, would make Sir Humphrey Appleby rise from his grave to give him a slap.
Correct Dave, paying off millions is a joke for a start, the corporate stand was already on track to be paid off then that was speeded up when the rest of the stadium was renovated by the government and that bit cost us nothing.
Coaching turnover was terrible, we had McLaughlin who was doing well with a limited squad pushed to one side then a series of farces of decisions which culminated at putting Clarke and Doake in together which put them at each others throats, Kiss then came in and sidelined the pair of them last year and he tried to do everything himself. Same time as Kiss came they had to hire Bryn Cunningham to turn from agent to team manager as neither Logan or Kiss knew anything about player contracts.
Numbers playing rugby is another dubious one as he has used figures obtained by sending coaches into schools for a few weeks of basic training with kids but there has been little followup and any there has been is through local club coaches doing a bit to encourage some for their own clubs in the future. Our AIL representation really speaks for itself.

Overall the video was just well prepared waffle.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

The video and timing are just crass. Some of the answers on coaching turn over, money and player numbers turn it from a supposed hard questions to propaganda.

When stuff like this happens the only thing that surprises me is the number of people taken in by it.

And by the way, if a company or organisation in shite, its perfectly normal to hold the CEO to account.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

BlueBlue wrote:The video and timing are just crass. Some of the answers on coaching turn over, money and player numbers turn it from a supposed hard questions to propaganda.

When stuff like this happens the only thing that surprises me is the number of people taken in by it.

And by the way, if a company or organisation in shite, its perfectly normal to hold the CEO to account.
There was another season ticket holders event last night and Bryn Cunningham gave a good account on where we are and how they envisage going forward.
Yet again CEO not visible and when asked about Bryn laughed and said you would need to ask Logan why he was not there.
I get the feeling he is a dead man walking at present and his video was so patronising and crass that most people laughed at his arrogance in even making it.
As you say a CEO should be held to account when things go wrong on his watch.