Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

nc6000
Mullet

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by nc6000 »

Now Gibbes is being linked with the Wallabies.......

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 97512.html
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wouldn't blame him for leaving and it's very smart of Cheika to chase after him.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

nc6000 wrote:Now Gibbes is being linked with the Wallabies.......

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 97512.html
Perhaps that is where he was when he went home at Christmas.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

At this point Ulster is the ruination of coaches, you'd be mad to stay. If the rebuilding of Ulster is to be done correctly, its a ground up, root and branch overhaul that starts with sub-academy / academy and stops at the boardroom. Its a 3 year project where results are secondary until year 3 at the earliest . Are Ulster really committed to it, and does that look like a good prospect for a coach ?
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wouldn't blame him for leaving and it's very smart of Cheika to chase after him.
I agree mate
That said am not sure he would skip out on a contract

Ledesma was forwards/scrum coach, article just called him set piece
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by BlueBlue

At this point Ulster is the ruination of coaches, you'd be mad to stay. If the rebuilding of Ulster is to be done correctly, its a ground up, root and branch overhaul that starts with sub-academy / academy and stops at the boardroom. Its a 3 year project where results are secondary until year 3 at the earliest . Are Ulster really committed to it, and does that look like a good prospect for a coach ?
There seems to be a lot of hate for Logan the head honcho on the boards. Is he as bad as they make out or is he just the latest scapegoat as to why Ulster rugby are not doing so well?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by BlueBlue

There seems to be a lot of hate for Logan the head honcho on the boards. Is he as bad as they make out or is he just the latest scapegoat as to why Ulster rugby are not doing so well?
Think he set some really outlandish targets at the start of his tenure (greatest team in the universe ever or something). Fair to say Ulster have got nowhere near them and so he gets a lot of flak for it.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

cormac wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:
by BlueBlue

Think he set some really outlandish targets at the start of his tenure (greatest team in the universe ever or something). Fair to say Ulster have got nowhere near them and so he gets a lot of flak for it.
He also appears to have gone AWOL at present, DOR sacked / left and mess in press about our alleged rapists and not so much as a basic statement from him.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

If a company performs very badly for a number of years, the CEO has to take some, if not all the responsibility. I don't know Logan, but my point of view would be that sacking coaches, some of which were quite successful, and expecting things to change is folly. Ulster needs a complete overhaul, the boardroom is part of a complete overhaul. I don't have a view on Logan one way or another, I don't follow Ulster Rugby close enough.
drive for 5
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

BlueBlue wrote:If a company performs very badly for a number of years, the CEO has to take some, if not all the responsibility. I don't know Logan, but my point of view would be that sacking coaches, some of which were quite successful, and expecting things to change is folly. Ulster needs a complete overhaul, the boardroom is part of a complete overhaul. I don't have a view on Logan one way or another, I don't follow Ulster Rugby close enough.
Which ones were quite successful?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

paddyor wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:If a company performs very badly for a number of years, the CEO has to take some, if not all the responsibility. I don't know Logan, but my point of view would be that sacking coaches, some of which were quite successful, and expecting things to change is folly. Ulster needs a complete overhaul, the boardroom is part of a complete overhaul. I don't have a view on Logan one way or another, I don't follow Ulster Rugby close enough.
McLaughlin knew the limitations of his squad never got a chance to sort out the deficit in certain positions but made the best of what he had.
Totally agree BlueBlue with what you say, Logan started off with unrealistic targets on the pitch, he did though manage to get the place filled with punters when we got the new build but ever since both team and crowd have been in reverse and he is not stepping up to the challenge that we can see anyway.

Anyway there is a review going on from bottom to top of the system and I am hopeful of something coming out of it towards the end of this season.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Ulster v Edinburgh - Friday 7:35pm BBC2NI

(15-9): L Ludik; C Gilroy, L Marshall, S McCloskey, T Bowe; J McPhillips, J Cooney; (1-8): A Warwick, R Herring, W Herbst, A O'Connor (Captain), K Treadwell, M Rea, N Timoney, J Deysel;
(16-23): J Andrew, K McCall, R Ah You, M Dalton, C Henry, J Stewart, D Cave, D Busby.

15. Dougie Fife 14. Jason Harries 13. Mark Bennett 12. Chris Dean 11. Duhan van der Merwe 10. Jaco van der Walt 9. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne 1. Jordan Lay 2. Neil Cochrane 3. Murray McCallum 4. Fraser McKenzie (C) 5. Lewis Carmichael 6. Bill Mata 7. John Hardie 8. Cornell du Preez

16. Cameron Fenton 17. Rory Sutherland 18. Eliot Millar Mills 19. Magnus Bradbury 20. Luke Crosbie 21. Nathan Fowles 22. Duncan Weir 23. Glenn Bryce

"10 pointer" this one, Ulster travel to Edinburgh in Round 19 (April 6/7/8).
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neill_m wrote:Ulster v Edinburgh - Friday 7:35pm BBC2NI

(15-9): L Ludik; C Gilroy, L Marshall, S McCloskey, T Bowe; J McPhillips, J Cooney; (1-8): A Warwick, R Herring, W Herbst, A O'Connor (Captain), K Treadwell, M Rea, N Timoney, J Deysel;
(16-23): J Andrew, K McCall, R Ah You, M Dalton, C Henry, J Stewart, D Cave, D Busby.

15. Dougie Fife 14. Jason Harries 13. Mark Bennett 12. Chris Dean 11. Duhan van der Merwe 10. Jaco van der Walt 9. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne 1. Jordan Lay 2. Neil Cochrane 3. Murray McCallum 4. Fraser McKenzie (C) 5. Lewis Carmichael 6. Bill Mata 7. John Hardie 8. Cornell du Preez

16. Cameron Fenton 17. Rory Sutherland 18. Eliot Millar Mills 19. Magnus Bradbury 20. Luke Crosbie 21. Nathan Fowles 22. Duncan Weir 23. Glenn Bryce

"10 pointer" this one, Ulster travel to Edinburgh in Round 19 (April 6/7/8).
This is a bigee.
Suspect Ulster have the wherewithal up front to win this one.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

So Tommy Bowe's injury mustn't have been that bad?
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Laighin Break wrote:So Tommy Bowe's injury mustn't have been that bad?
Surprised myself he is back as soon
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

rooster wrote:
paddyor wrote:
McLaughlin knew the limitations of his squad never got a chance to sort out the deficit in certain positions but made the best of what he had.
Totally agree BlueBlue with what you say, Logan started off with unrealistic targets on the pitch, he did though manage to get the place filled with punters when we got the new build but ever since both team and crowd have been in reverse and he is not stepping up to the challenge that we can see anyway.

Anyway there is a review going on from bottom to top of the system and I am hopeful of something coming out of it towards the end of this season.
here's hoping.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

paddyor wrote:
Read back about 50 or more posts, I made a detailed timeline of Ulster coaches. There was 1 who got to a European cup final for example.
drive for 5
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I bet Jordi didn't expect to be playing challenge cup rugby next year. Ulster are properly f%~ked now. I feel for them.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Unless Gilroy just has a bit of a knock, which I doubt we have problems with wingers for next week though Trimble may return, Tommy Bowe is sadly finished, no pace at all this week, looked like he had a pair of wellies covered in mud on his feet the way he was running. I can see a club player brought in to cover wing.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

BlueBlue wrote:
Read back about 50 or more posts, I made a detailed timeline of Ulster coaches. There was 1 who got to a European cup final for example.
They got hockeyed. The starting OH had to be pulled about 5 mins into the 2nd half because he looked out of his depth. The next big success was losing a pro12 final to Leinster. Where was the success?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles