Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Lar
Mullet

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by Lar »

Munster Rugby wrote:In relation to Gerbrandt Grobler’s selection for the province, Munster Rugby and the IRFU wish to reiterate that Gerbrandt, as a member of the Munster squad and living by our values, will continue to be considered for selection during his time with the province, once deemed fit," they said.

"While some hold the view that rugby should provide no road-back for those that have taken a banned substance in the past, it would not be within the spirit and values of rugby to turn its back on every person that ever made a bad decision, having made restitution.
Grobler on the bench for the first team tomorrow.
Four Stars
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Lar wrote:
Munster Rugby wrote:In relation to Gerbrandt Grobler’s selection for the province, Munster Rugby and the IRFU wish to reiterate that Gerbrandt, as a member of the Munster squad and living by our values, will continue to be considered for selection during his time with the province, once deemed fit," they said.

"While some hold the view that rugby should provide no road-back for those that have taken a banned substance in the past, it would not be within the spirit and values of rugby to turn its back on every person that ever made a bad decision, having made restitution.
Grobler on the bench for the first team tomorrow.
I'm sorry there is a problem with claiming this "every person that ever made a bad decision" when Browne said his past was not part of the decision making process, that the IRFU don't have a policy on the matter. They are claiming that he is not every person, while admitting it wasn't discussed and they've no policy on it. Hard to know that he's not every person / the circumstances of his offence / the science of the benefit gain or still being gained, if it wasn't discussed. Its BS. Also his signing has great symmetry with his 1st senior cap, slip him in while the main Rugby world is focused on the 6N's , just like his signing was slipped in while the rugby world was focused on the Lions.

You got to love rugby with it sanctimonious claim of moral high grounds and being exceptional, this latest instalment is .... Rugby welcomes dopers because rugby its part of rugby values to accept our own no matter what, that's the spirit and values of rugby.
drive for 5
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

But of course you've left out the end of that sentence RE "every person". The bit about "having made restitution", which is the crux of the issue as far as the IRFU is involved. He is available as a sanctioned pro rugby player. That's all the IRFU need care about, morals are for world rugby, IRFU dealz wit de rulz.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:But of course you've left out the end of that sentence RE "every person". The bit about "having made restitution", which is the crux of the issue as far as the IRFU is involved. He is available as a sanctioned pro rugby player. That's all the IRFU need care about, morals are for world rugby, IRFU dealz wit de rulz.
So you're defending them for hiring someone who they were perfectly entitled to hire? Disappointed in you Peg Leg!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

It was a footnote on the six one news yesterday, its still OTT
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:But of course you've left out the end of that sentence RE "every person". The bit about "having made restitution", which is the crux of the issue as far as the IRFU is involved. He is available as a sanctioned pro rugby player. That's all the IRFU need care about, morals are for world rugby, IRFU dealz wit de rulz.
So are you suggesting chaos (everyone does their own thing) or leadership(middle management does it's own thing)?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

The fact is that Gerbrandt Grobler has been signed with the blessing of the IRFU and we have had all the sermonising and moral indignation by all and sundrie about this issue. Mistakes have been made and maybe the player should not have been signed but he has served his time as prescribed by the rules that are there now, these rules need to be amended with longer sentences for offenders. However the player should not be crucified by certain so called journalists and others because the system is flawed.
Let him play as he is contracted to do and let the IRFU learn from the mistakes of this time so they don't happen again in the future
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

RAILWAY1 wrote:The fact is that Gerbrandt Grobler has been signed with the blessing of the IRFU and we have had all the sermonising and moral indignation by all and sundrie about this issue. Mistakes have been made and maybe the player should not have been signed but he has served his time as prescribed by the rules that are there now, these rules need to be amended with longer sentences for offenders. However the player should not be crucified by certain so called journalists and others because the system is flawed.
Let him play as he is contracted to do and let the IRFU learn from the mistakes of this time so they don't happen again in the future
Sums it up for me.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

RAILWAY1 wrote:The fact is that Gerbrandt Grobler has been signed with the blessing of the IRFU and we have had all the sermonising and moral indignation by all and sundrie about this issue. Mistakes have been made and maybe the player should not have been signed but he has served his time as prescribed by the rules that are there now, these rules need to be amended with longer sentences for offenders. However the player should not be crucified by certain so called journalists and others because the system is flawed.
You're right. But the IRFU / Munster have not admitted it was a mistake that they have no policy on the issue and it was not a point of discussion when Munster proposed the signing, and the IRFU approved it. You cant say everyone deserves a second chance when the circumstances of the offence and reasons for a second chance never came up. Its very hard to claim zero tolerance, for me, while also admitting a doper can be hired without doping being discussed. I have a gripe with a doper being hired and brought into the Irish system, he's also a project player and can play for Ireland, he's a cheat, he cheated and went against everything sport and rugby stands for, which it that there has to be some element of fairness, the competition has to be fair, an unmistakable part of that is that one side cannot be allowed cheat. We all understand this, as fans we know that Barcelona v Cork city is not a contest in sporting terms. Grobler still benefits from his cheating, time served, But he still cheated. That's my gripe with the player. But mainly my gripe is with the IRFU for hiring the guy, not having checks and balances / policy regarding drug cheats, the PR handling of the situation and their basic attitude that the public have no right to question them. I also believe (others don't) their claim to be strict and have a 'zero policy on doping is hot air, they have not done any real work on the issue of doping in rugby, they've just made hollow claims. For me, as a person actively involved as a volunteer in rugby, with kids playing and a fan of the game, that's very worrying.

Grobler the person / player is a very separate issue to how our game is run and protected. Drugs in sport is not trivial, I think there is a major problem in Ireland with growth enhancing drugs in the teen years before a player gets signed up to an academy or starts the process of becoming a pro player. Can someone explain to me the win of hiring Grobler, other than the personal win to him, what does it say to young players who aspire to become rugby players. Where's the win for the game ?
drive for 5
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

BlueBlue wrote:
You're right. But the IRFU / Munster have not admitted it was a mistake that they have no policy on the issue and it was not a point of discussion when Munster proposed the signing, and the IRFU approved it. You cant say everyone deserves a second chance when the circumstances of the offence and reasons for a second chance never came up. Its very hard to claim zero tolerance, for me, while also admitting a doper can be hired without doping being discussed. I have a gripe with a doper being hired and brought into the Irish system, he's also a project player and can play for Ireland, he's a cheat, he cheated and went against everything sport and rugby stands for, which it that there has to be some element of fairness, the competition has to be fair, an unmistakable part of that is that one side cannot be allowed cheat. We all understand this, as fans we know that Barcelona v Cork city is not a contest in sporting terms. Grobler still benefits from his cheating, time served, But he still cheated. That's my gripe with the player. But mainly my gripe is with the IRFU for hiring the guy, not having checks and balances / policy regarding drug cheats, the PR handling of the situation and their basic attitude that the public have no right to question them. I also believe (others don't) their claim to be strict and have a 'zero policy on doping is hot air, they have not done any real work on the issue of doping in rugby, they've just made hollow claims. For me, as a person actively involved as a volunteer in rugby, with kids playing and a fan of the game, that's very worrying.

Grobler the person / player is a very separate issue to how our game is run and protected. Drugs in sport is not trivial, I think there is a major problem in Ireland with growth enhancing drugs in the teen years before a player gets signed up to an academy or starts the process of becoming a pro player. Can someone explain to me the win of hiring Grobler, other than the personal win to him, what does it say to young players who aspire to become rugby players. Where's the win for the game ?
BlueBlue can I suggest you take the issue up directly with the IRFU and Munster Rugby FU. This might give you closure.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I'm pretty sure that opinions mirroring what BB said above is why you can be fairly confident that Munster rugby (and the IRFU) will not make the same mistake again.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Logorrhea wrote:I'm pretty sure that opinions mirroring what BB said above is why you can be fairly confident that Munster rugby (and the IRFU) will not make the same mistake again.
I'm pretty sure you're right which is why I made the suggestion I did.
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

As a volunteer involved in underage rugby in Munster I have learned from bitter experience that most of the pronouncements from the IRFU mandarins especially on things like "zero tolerance" for serious malpractice should be taken with a large pinch of salt.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Old School. I've taken the time to write to the IRFU and express my views. I'm not expecting acknowledgement or a considered reply.

Blowing smoke up people's holes seems to work really well, so why would they change tact.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Logorrhea wrote:I'm pretty sure that opinions mirroring what BB said above is why you can be fairly confident that Munster rugby (and the IRFU) will not make the same mistake again.
I hope
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

RAILWAY1 wrote:As a volunteer involved in underage rugby in Munster I have learned from bitter experience that most of the pronouncements from the IRFU mandarins especially on things like "zero tolerance" for serious malpractice should be taken with a large pinch of salt.
My experience too, depressing no?
drive for 5
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

It was depressing the first few times but then just decided to ignore them and concentrate on what matters , RUGBY
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

RAILWAY1 wrote:It was depressing the first few times but then just decided to ignore them and concentrate on what matters , RUGBY
:D
drive for 5
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

http://www.the42.ie/andrew-conway-contr ... 0-Feb2018/

Good news for both. Conway's best years still ahead of him.