Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:They need him to play like Leamy did when he first broke through as a seven but I just don't see him as being capable of that. I think they should have at least put Oliver on the bench (even though he wasn't particularly good in the A game) so that they had the option to change things.

My gut says that Munster will miss a genuine openside and that Conway and Zebo wouldn't be playing if it was a league fixture, and I can see Toulon winning.
I thought Oliver did really well yesterday, I was very impressed with him. Munster's best player, alongside the No5 Sean O'Connor [generic Munster second row name]. Oliver's battle with Timmins was a great contest - I wouldn't say it was worth the admission fee alone, but it went some way to justifying it!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's kind of my point though, he had a great contest with Peadar Timmins in an A game, he should really have dominated the game if he was going to appear ready to start against Toulon. I didn't think he was as good as you did, but wasn't actually criticising him either. In his best games for Munster he's been all action and didnt think he played like that yesterday.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Did Zebo not take Ashton out there without the ball? That is what I think they should have been looking at.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

OTT wrote:Did Zebo not take Ashton out there without the ball? That is what I think they should have been looking at.
Wouldn't say that but you'll never see a more deliberate knock on. Not a chance was he anywhere near catching or grounding that ball.

Only good thing for Munster is that Toulon should be home and hosed by now but they've butchered so many chances. They're only 6 points behind.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

One of the most blatant penalty tries. Munster aren't even second best so far.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

This is going to be the longest game in the history of long games.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Absolutely no doubt about the PT, and I haven't a clue how they think that's a knock on from Toulon there. Shambles.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Also thought Sweetnam was miles offside when Arnold hacked ahead earlier and don't know how the officials didnt see it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Did these lads officiate that Spain game the other week? Two Munster players fly off their feet and it's not a penalty, couldn't have been more blatant.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Also thought Sweetnam was miles offside when Arnold hacked ahead earlier and don't know how the officials didnt see it.
This. He was a good 10 yards ahead of the fly kick. I swear I saw nigel looking across and letting it go.

Nigel is keeping Munster in the game.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I would love to play either of these two teams, they really are dreadful.
I have Bumbleflex
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I never, ever, thought I'd feel remotely sorry for a Toulon team - but what an officiating shambles!
Dont Panic!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've been reasonably impressed with Toulon. They've lost their heads but Christ they've been destroyed by the officials.

On what planet is a player diving at full stretch with one hand a genuine attempt to play the ball?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Trinh-Duc, no game left unfucked up.
I have Bumbleflex
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Does it not matter that POM was a mile offside shaking hands with Toulon players when Munster kicked the last penalty to touch?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Interesting comments from the commentator about Nigel taking the penelty for Munster at the end :lol:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Very impressed with Munster tactically. PO'M pressures their line-out sufficently to disrupt their maul. That's two aspects of play screwed up. Then bring on Ryan and Cronin and bang goes Toulon's scrum as well. That's how you attack a team with more great players that you have. Attack their Units. Brilliant.

However, serious kudos to Conway. Missed out a Squad posution for the Slam, due to a messy injury, but what a way to give Joe a reminder that you're still around.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dexter wrote:I never, ever, thought I'd feel remotely sorry for a Toulon team - but what an officiating shambles!
+1, +1
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Conway certainly delivered them there – what a try! Out of nothing.

He has taken a long, long time to get to the level that he's playing at now – the level that his talent at U18-U20 suggested that he was very close to already at that stage – but in fairness to him he's there now. No doubt about it. First game back in, 74 minutes in and he scores an absolute blazer of a try with all the chips on the table.

Chris Ashton is still a seriously impressive player. It has struck me several times over the last seven or eight years that if he just slid in and scored rather than doing that galling 'Ash Splash' thing, most Northern Hemisphere rugby fans would go "Ashton? Amazing try scorer, savage winger!" rather than "Ashton? Bellend."

His try-scoring record is mindblowing: 146 in Premiership, Top14 and European rugby. That's 730 points. It's like a place-kicker's points tally.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:
Chris Ashton is still a seriously impressive player. It has struck me several times over the last seven or eight years that if he just slid in and scored rather than doing that galling 'Ash Splash' thing, most Northern Hemisphere rugby fans would go "Ashton? Amazing try scorer, savage winger!" rather than "Ashton? Bellend."
Absolutely agree and he always come across well in interviews and seems to be friends with a lot of opposition players after game too.

I think Conway was still carrying his injury too which makes it even more impressive. His hit on Tuisova early on was excellent too. Thought Tuisova had messed up but actually it was just great defence.