Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by ronk »

He’s entitled to his opinions, but there’s an expectation that team members are team members on and off the field.

Madigan got dropped internationally, Moore got dropped too.

It hasn’t been a secret that Joe and Zebo are not BFFs. Zebo is probably lowering his chances of playing for Ireland by being antagonistic and current Irish internationals are potentially being put in the middle if Zebo airs dirty laundry in public.

Complaining in the media about a coaches systems after being dropped is bad form. I never saw Joe say anything negative about Zebo’s play. Zebo has thrived in Munster with the license to do whatever he wants. He’s done very well for Ireland without replicating the try count, but he clearly hasn’t enjoyed fitting into the system rather than having it built around him. He’s not the first, he won’t be the last but you get very little latitude to question it in public.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If those are his exact words, hes dumb af

Saying (to Joe) a rigid system doesnt bring the best out of me or even suits me, that to me would be perfectly fine and honest

He clearly did play in that system so whats he on about then?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Munster 2017 -2018

Post by artaneboy »

ronk wrote:He’s entitled to his opinions, but there’s an expectation that team members are team members on and off the field.

Madigan got dropped internationally, Moore got dropped too.

It hasn’t been a secret that Joe and Zebo are not BFFs. Zebo is probably lowering his chances of playing for Ireland by being antagonistic and current Irish internationals are potentially being put in the middle if Zebo airs dirty laundry in public.

Complaining in the media about a coaches systems after being dropped is bad form. I never saw Joe say anything negative about Zebo’s play. Zebo has thrived in Munster with the license to do whatever he wants. He’s done very well for Ireland without replicating the try count, but he clearly hasn’t enjoyed fitting into the system rather than having it built around him. He’s not the first, he won’t be the last but you get very little latitude to question it in public.
On his freedom to play “his way” in the Munster system. Was that really ever the case? Or was it more a factor of his indiscipline being tolerated/ unpunished by coaches. He had some great moments, but it can’t be claimed that we were all sipping turnip-champagne in wonder at their back play. In fact they shipped a lot of scores as oft as not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

artaneboy wrote:Or was it more a factor of his indiscipline being tolerated/ unpunished by coaches.
I think that was the case alright, Erasmus was a complete spoofer who's only interest was in his paycheck. He didn't actually do anything at all there.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Plus Munsters system was very rigid from what I remember. They basically played the kick chase game Ireland played in 2015 (when all the Munster fans hated) and relied heavily on their defense.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Thought Munster were a bit unlucky not to beat Racing today but two things undid them.
Discipline - they gave away too many silly penalties.
POM - gave the ref some lip just before ht and the ten metres conceded resulted in 3 points to Racing.
National captaincy material my eye.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Awful standard of rugby. Racing are really poor. Result was a lottery.
Poor oul Keatley just can't get a break. Played really well then near the end 1 miss kick to touch ends up as a try for Racing. That's what will be remebered. Expect Munster to wrap up the group next week, although Casters still have something to play for.
POM is plonker, tried to stare the ref out of it and got marched back 10meters.
Keith Earls is as good as he has ever been, maybe better. Has lost not one iota of pace or zip. Zebo is out of shape and lazy.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Wrong thread
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Would have absolutely no qualms about facing that Racing side. Big, lumbering and one paced. Limited game intelligence. If you can keep them contained and limit their momentum they offer little else. That'd be a game Larmour would thrive in particularly.

With Carter might be a different story, but he's pretty much shot at this stage.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I can't for the life of me understand why such a fuss is made about how good O'Mahony is. Jordi Murphy has been streets ahead of him this season. In his near hour of play, he gave away two stupid penalties, a critical 10 metres, missed two tackles, and managed all of 6 meters from his 5 runs. For all his lineout prowess, one ball was thrown to him.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

CiaranIrl wrote:I can't for the life of me understand why such a fuss is made about how good O'Mahony is. Jordi Murphy has been streets ahead of him this season. In his near hour of play, he gave away two stupid penalties, a critical 10 metres, missed two tackles, and managed all of 6 meters from his 5 runs. For all his lineout prowess, one ball was thrown to him.
Just like very few women can perceive the offside rule in soccer. Very few Leinster fans can perceive the incredible qualities of POM.

Munster fans struggle with Jamie Heaslip. They find it hard to accept that this 5 x test lion with more medals than POC or BOD can be anything but muck.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

johng wrote: Just like very few women can perceive the offside rule in soccer.
NB. This may have changed since the 1970s
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:I can't for the life of me understand why such a fuss is made about how good O'Mahony is. Jordi Murphy has been streets ahead of him this season. In his near hour of play, he gave away two stupid penalties, a critical 10 metres, missed two tackles, and managed all of 6 meters from his 5 runs. For all his lineout prowess, one ball was thrown to him.
Just like very few women can perceive the offside rule in soccer. Very few Leinster fans can perceive the incredible qualities of POM.

Munster fans struggle with Jamie Heaslip. They find it hard to accept that this 5 x test lion with more medals than POC or BOD can be anything but muck.
Well that's it init?
Joe has picked POM on many an occasion, so he must be good at something. Gatland picked him for the 1st Lions test, although dropped out of the squad entirely after that.
Same as Jamie with his extensive medal collection, nominations for this and that. The Munster folk just don't like Israelis.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

As tends to happen when hes in the news Zebo did some great things and some awful things to leave debates wide open

POM certainly hasnt had any big performances this year. What he offers Ireland is balance in the backrow and hes the best lineout forward in the country especially defensively. Our carrying 7 being ruled out changes that balance though and puts pressure on POM
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Btw Racing were very sneaky in subbing their tighthead before a yellow card could be issued. Bit of a black mark against the official for that
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

simonokeeffe wrote:Btw Racing were very sneaky in subbing their tighthead before a yellow card could be issued. Bit of a black mark against the official for that
I was quite surprised there wasn't a yellow card issued but just before the conversion, you could hear someone (probably POM) asking the ref about a yellow card, and the ref saying no.

Interesting as well that there was no replay of the intentional knock on. They showed the initial break up to the pass, and then skipped to the final phase in the try.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

I only watched part of the game, Munster going ahead, going behind, going ahead, then losing the head.

Its hard the figure where they really are, they have some great players in good form - Earls, Murray, Stander -although not at his previous levels. Some average players playing well but a lot of guys blowing hot and cold. They play well but at the same time seem to be a bit of a rabble - as exposed by their poor discipline.

Maybe its the off field stuff. Apart from the coaching mess, the bok migration, guys like POM and stander carrying out contract negotiations in the media, and Zebo leaving but in a"look at me" type of way and losing Ryan previously all have to have a negative impact on the squad.

At this stage I hope we bump into them in the knock outs of either competition.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

ronk wrote:It hasn’t been a secret that Joe and Zebo are not BFFs. Zebo is probably lowering his chances of playing for Ireland by being antagonistic and current Irish internationals are potentially being put in the middle if Zebo airs dirty laundry in public.

The way I see it, is that Schmidt's Ireland style doesn't suit Simon (or a few other players). Remember Rob Penney's tall poppy comment. In fairness to Simon (unlike maybe Gilroy, O'Halloran etc), he knuckled down and played the system. Now that he knows he can do it, he doesn't want to. He was never going to have the full confidence of Schmidt in him, so since it was always his intention to play in France, now is a good time to go because Schmidt will probably move on after the next world cup and with a new Ireland coach, he would be back in the picture.

It will be interesting to see how Stockdale and Lamour do with Schmidt as their Ireland coach.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Zebo said he cant play in Joe's rigid structure.

That sounds like a conclusion. What's all the fuss about.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Laighin Break wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Btw Racing were very sneaky in subbing their tighthead before a yellow card could be issued. Bit of a black mark against the official for that
I was quite surprised there wasn't a yellow card issued but just before the conversion, you could hear someone (probably POM) asking the ref about a yellow card, and the ref saying no.

Interesting as well that there was no replay of the intentional knock on. They showed the initial break up to the pass, and then skipped to the final phase in the try.
If the ref had already decided it was not a yellow thats a horrendous decision.
If he was influenced by the quick tap that is still poor

Not sure on protocols (tmo) but wouldve thought the ref wouldve had a word in his ear if that was possible, even just to confirm the number