Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:
olaf the fat wrote: While I agree there is a bit of competition for the spot, the above is not really fair Dave.

He has gone up the pecking order since 2014 - most likely would have been the starter in 6N's 2018. Bowe, Trimble and at least half the Kearneys are past the their best now, and the next generation are a still a little bit away.
I would disagree with that, I would suggest that as things stand Earls, Stockdale and Carbery will be the starting back three
Trimble and Dave aren't done either - both extremely under rated players in my opinion. Payne (Joe's first choice FB) and O'Halloran are both very good players at FB. Byrne is going through a rough patch but that's eminently fixable (recall he was tipped by Will Greenwood as a Lions bolter). So there are options for us - don't get my wrong, Zebo is a super player and will be a big loss for Ireland but he doesn't have the unique value that Johnny Sexton or Conor Murray has.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

nc6000 wrote:
OTT wrote:Before the 2017 six nations Zebo was on fire and I thought that tournament would finally bring him to another level for Ireland. He was fine but I was underwhelmed by him he looked slower then usual and unsure of himself.
Was he injured for the 2017 Six Nations? I thought he was injured but still played, I noticed in one or two of the games that he had some sort of strapping around his midriff.
That was actually his corset
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

CiaranIrl wrote:
hugonaut wrote:I'm pretty sure that he became their all-time leading try scorer when he was still 26 years old.
I think he's still 3 off Axel Foley, no?
That's just in European competition.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
olaf the fat wrote: While I agree there is a bit of competition for the spot, the above is not really fair Dave.

He has gone up the pecking order since 2014 - most likely would have been the starter in 6N's 2018. Bowe, Trimble and at least half the Kearneys are past the their best now, and the next generation are a still a little bit away.
I would disagree with that, I would suggest that as things stand Earls, Stockdale and Carbery will be the starting back three
Trimble and Dave aren't done either - both extremely under rated players in my opinion. Payne (Joe's first choice FB) and O'Halloran are both very good players at FB. Byrne is going through a rough patch but that's eminently fixable (recall he was tipped by Will Greenwood as a Lions bolter). So there are options for us - don't get my wrong, Zebo is a super player and will be a big loss for Ireland but he doesn't have the unique value that Johnny Sexton or Conor Murray has.
Nah, Trimble is finished IMo.
Last edited by paddyor on October 24th, 2017, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I'd have to question if you've seen Trimble play recently if you think he's still good enough for Ireland, he's not even good enough for Ulster and was dropped for the summer tour. I do think players are often written off too quickly but he's just gone 33, can't see him getting his groove back.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

To be fair to Dave’s position on this, I haven’t yet hear anyone say : ‘pick him for Ireland anyway.’ That was said about Sexton and then obviously happened. He is a loss, but yeah is replaceable.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Zebo is half-french speaks the language fluently and has always said he wants to live and play in France. He has some young kids who he wants to immerse in his father's culture. Fair play to him
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

sunshiner1 wrote:Zebo is half-french speaks the language fluently and has always said he wants to live and play in France. He has some young kids who he wants to immerse in his father's culture. Fair play to him
I’ve heard from a lad who went to school with him that he does in his hole speak French fluently.

I don’t know where that rumour of his linguistic skills came from
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Zebo is half-french speaks the language fluently and has always said he wants to live and play in France. He has some young kids who he wants to immerse in his father's culture. Fair play to him
I’ve heard from a lad who went to school with him that he does in his hole speak French fluently.

I don’t know where that rumour of his linguistic skills came from
That dispelling of that cliche has come up before, like how ROG and Stringer were joined at the hip on and off the pitch since they were zygotes

Think it was just never questioned/made up by his agent
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Loss to Munster and Ireland but not as much as matching what those alleged wages would have been.

He’s a solid player who does some good stuff, has a broad skill range and is versatile. A spell in France might be good for game and if he plays well he could be called back, especially with injuries.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

That was a bo##ix red.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

OTT wrote:That bo##ix deserved his red.
Fixed
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

I think his reaction to the red card said it all. He just shrugged as if to say it ain't no biggie. He was not shocked by the whole episode.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Haha given POM's chance of picking up a yellow there was no chance of objection from either.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Surprised at the tactical quality of Connacht v Munster tonight where the team that "cherished the pill the most" deserved won, but only just, despite having an extra man for the last quarter.

Both sides kicked too much and a lot of the time, poorly. When Conway departed Connacht began to think about how to attack the vacant space and their winning try was well conceived and executed.

As both teams were very agressive defensively, a lot of mid-field attack ended in players tackled well behind the gain line. The alternative to passing was box kicks or long kicks to deep lying back three. Neither team tried or executed the sort of moves designed to upset rush mid-field defences - inside passes to wingers, short passes inside to put two players through the same gap, or changing the angle of the run to go back 'against the grain'.

Connacht finally tried it and Griffin's line of running which resulted in his try was through a channel that Conway might have been defending.

Very intense interpro, enjoyable to a neutral but tactically sterile for the hopeful.

BTW, PO'M cannot have endeared himself to the refereeing community with his communication with Nigel all evening. 0 brownie poiits for that performance in the captaincy stakes.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Ruckedtobits wrote: BTW, PO'M cannot have endeared himself to the refereeing community with his communication with Nigel all evening. 0 brownie poiits for that performance in the captaincy stakes.
Keeping Rory Best up to International standard until RWC19 when he will be 37 looking more important both as a captain and because Scannell only other International standard hooker in Ireland apart from Best.

Also nobody knows what our backrow will be with 7 SOB,JVDF, 8 Heaslip, 8+6 Stander, Conan, 6 POM, Ruddock, Leavy the main 8 contenders if fit but potentially Deegan, Murphy, TOD & O'Donoghue adding to the competition by 2019.

I think a big strength of both POM & Sexton is their intensity but McCaw, Warburton, Best & other good captains usually know when to get more out of a referee by knowing when to back off or asking a question in a reasonable way like Best did last season " I have a duty to protect my players".
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

From this article

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/1028 ... imon-zebo/

"Playing for Munster is a dream of mine since I was a child, playing for Ireland was a dream and playing for the Lions and so has playing in France.

He further went on to explain that in a short career, he felt moving to France was important for him and his family and is looking forward to the next chapter in his career.

"At least I've the balls to do it and I won't shirk away from a challenge. I won't look back on my career with any regret."

So basically he admits he wants to leave Munster. No mention of central contract or cash just a desire to play in France.

Now my point is with the smokescreen of central contracts and money being bandied about what are they trying to cover up? With Ryan leaving last season - and rumours he tried to get a Leinster contract the season before - and Zebo now that is 2 Frontline first 15 players that will leave in 12 months.

Is there a major issue driving the players from Munster?

Instead of Munster Supporters bitching about everything else maybe they need to do a 180 and look IN to the running of Munster and demand answers as to why really Ryan left last year and Zebo this. I would hate to see Murray leave too (unless he came to Leinster) with no lessons learned.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Commute to Limerick or go and live there?
There are 5/6 Limerick players in the squad, 16/17 Cork players.
Tis a funny set up.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Wanting to try new things is polite bull. Common for breaking up.

Think money is the big one for guys who’ve had a bit of a rough time on the edge of the central contracts. The guys who are closest to getting them but don’t are the ones who’ll be a little more open to moving. A few lean years and a concern over future direction don’t combine well with feeling that you’re underpaid.

Leinster had exactly the same thing and lost Moore, Madigan and Teo’o in a short time. Sexton was low-balled when he was coming off a long contract from when he was down the pecking order.

Lessons were learnt. Based on what we think we know: Zebo and Ryan got relatively solid offers in line with the difference others are commonly accepting but that wasn’t enough.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I don't believe the €650k being bandied about. IMO it's Gerry making excuses for the IRFU and Munster
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles