Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by mildlyinterested »

How long until Carbery is announced?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

apparently he's met with van graan, so its really only a matter of time.
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He's an absolutely terrible fit for them. They want a guy who will "game manage" i.e. linekick all day long for Scannell to overthrow at the lineout so they can blame the outhalf for their inability to ruck ball, win a lineout, or defend the wider channels.

Keatley will be picked ahead of him.

I'm sympathetic to the IRFU's need to get him playing regularly but it's his Ireland time management and injuries that have held him back over the last two seasons. This probably won't change. Munster are death to outhalfs. Ulster would have been much better for the IRFU.

And as I've repeatedly said: he's not the player either Munster or Ulster need.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Dave Cahill wrote:apparently he's met with van graan, so its really only a matter of time.
You can see the thinking behind it being a good move for Ireland at RWC19, but its hard to be happy about it.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't get this stuff about him not being a good fit for them. He's a a very talented outhalf and will be playing beside the best scrumhalf in the world for a team that made the semi finals of their domestic and European competitions, they're not a rabble that he's trying to transform.

I detest the idea of him being forced to move because of the pressure that has been put on him and that will be on him given that people know he won't want to be there, and for Leinster being penalised for developing players so well, and for the possibility that we lose him forever as well as it setting a terrible precedent for both Leinster and Ireland. I reckon that the only way that we will stop players leaving more often after this is if the French and English clubs go broke, which is certainly possible, but I wouldn't be banking on it.

Most of all though, I feel uncomfortable that all of the above has probably been put in place by Joe who just needs Carbery to do this for a year and then whatever else happens probably doesn't matter. If Joe is back in NZ in 2020 and Leinster have to watch Joey play for other clubs for the next ten years after that then that's a fairly shitty thing to do IMO, and I will honestly still believe that if Joey ends up winning the World Cup for us next year.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

They have 3 10's.
Bet he ends up at FB.
And how will Joe stop Munster doing just that.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I don't get this stuff about him not being a good fit for them. He's a a very talented outhalf and will be playing beside the best scrumhalf in the world for a team that made the semi finals of their domestic and European competitions, they're not a rabble that he's trying to transform.
Have you seen what happens to outhalves there?
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

blockhead wrote:They have 3 10's.
Bet he ends up at FB.
And how will Joe stop Munster doing just that.
If Joe/Nucifora can't stop Munster doing that then the move should not be happening at all.
Four Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Joey has just joined the senior team and has imo only begun the "on the job" part of his apprenticeship. He is very talented, but still an apprentice. He'd develop more as an outhalf cleaning J10's boots for a season than he would playing 3 seasons for munster.

Btw is this how munster plan to pick up players from Leinster? Announce that ulster are interested and wait for the backlash then sail in to rescue the situation?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I don't get this stuff about him not being a good fit for them. He's a a very talented outhalf and will be playing beside the best scrumhalf in the world for a team that made the semi finals of their domestic and European competitions, they're not a rabble that he's trying to transform.
I haven't seen what you've seen.

Keatley has been there a long time and was never a top talent, don't really see how his demise is relevant.

JJ has never been a ten IMO, been saying that for years.

Tyler B was great for the majority of last season, the neck injury is his downfall.

Johnston is a brilliant talent but injuries are what's held him back too.

Really don't see how any of that is relevant to Joey.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

I wonder would a season's loan at Connacht work. I notice it hasn't been mentioned at all, probably because they're not in the Champion's Cup.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Would filling his contract at Leinster work where he has developed into this talent that everybody wants, all the evidence points to a ……………………..yes. The lad should stay put.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

Keatley has been there a long time and was never a top talent, don't really see how his demise is relevant.

Tyler B was great for the majority of last season, the neck injury is his downfall.

That's a long list of excuses alright. Frankly I don't think Munster have the talent, culture or structures to improve Carbery's game. I think they have the ability to regress it.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

"Team Ireland" will benefit with him player beside Murray regardless of how it works for Munster
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

olaf the fat wrote:"Team Ireland" will benefit with him player beside Murray regardless of how it works for Munster
Which is the only justification for him going to Munster at all, and is therefore why the Union have to make sure there is some stipulation that barring a series of injuries that might necessitate Carbery being picked at 15, he should be played only at 10. (if he goes to Munster, of course).
Four Stars
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

I've seen a culture of blaming the outhalf - to the extent that the outhalf gets blamed for their packs inability to ruck, run a lineout, and the midfielders failure to man up in defence.

I don't in any way see what there is in the recent history and culture of Munster to suggest they have the ability, or will, to nurture an outhalf. Ulster have it. But Carbery is not what they need there.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think that's a massive exaggeration tbh. They'd be lucky to get him, doubt they're sharpening the knives due to some fixation with the ten jersey.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

olaf the fat wrote:"Team Ireland" will benefit with him player beside Murray regardless of how it works for Munster
I'd wager that it'd be better for "Team Ireland" if Murray was playing for Leinster. Make him an even better player in a better higher-skilled training environment, playing with his international team mates. We could send them MPG in return. Kill two birds with the one stone.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

cormac wrote:
I'd wager that it'd be better for "Team Ireland" if Murray was playing for Leinster. Make him an even better player in a better higher-skilled training environment, playing with his international team mates. We could send them MPG in return. Kill two birds with the one stone.
RPG would be handy for killing birds, if a bit excessive.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Someone on planet rugby is saying they want Beirne to put on 10kg, which seems mad tbh. He'd lose a lot of the mobility that makes him a threat over the ball.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles