Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

janeymac08
Mullet

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by janeymac08 »

ronk wrote:The Pau exodus from Munster was interesting in its own way. As Munster signed South Africans, guys were getting out.

As Munster have pivoted hard away from their academy this year, effects are already visible.
Well, look at it this way. Pau has benefitted from Munster's Academy with first of all Coughlan, then Butler & Foley, not to mention all the backroom staff that learned their trade in Munster. Why would Munster continue to develop players for Pau in its academy if they realise that these players will not be good enough for Munster's senior team?

As for the Saffers in the Munster Academy - which is better- letting SA develop them and Munster recruit them in 4 or 5 years time or Munster take the risk that they will develop into players good enough to play for Munster and Ireland?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

TerenureJim wrote:
blockhead wrote:
ronk wrote:The Pau exodus from Munster was interesting in its own way. As Munster signed South Africans, guys were getting out.

As Munster have pivoted hard away from their academy this year, effects are already visible.
T'Pau?
Ask your Dad.
I'll get me coat.
Before I go though, 7 consecutive seasons without winning anything.
And the Leinster trophy room is so crammed, Smaug could arrive any day.
You have to handle these academy prospects gently, it's as if they're China in your hands....
Yes but they have to give a little bit of heart and soul.....

I feel unclean :shock:
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

janeymac08 wrote:

Well, look at it this way. Pau has benefitted from Munster's Academy with first of all Coughlan, then Butler & Foley, not to mention all the backroom staff that learned their trade in Munster. Why would Munster continue to develop players for Pau in its academy if they realise that these players will not be good enough for Munster's senior team?

As for the Saffers in the Munster Academy - which is better- letting SA develop them and Munster recruit them in 4 or 5 years time or Munster take the risk that they will develop into players good enough to play for Munster and Ireland?
or, option C........ just produce your own players and stop treating SA likes it's the 7th county of Munster
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They'll never be good enough if they don't get a chance.

Guys who make it in the Top 14 are usually good enough for Pro 14.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:

or, option C........ just produce your own players and stop treating SA likes it's the 7th county of Munster
Why?
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

ronk wrote:They'll never be good enough if they don't get a chance.

But they need to be of international standard - which is the main thing that holds onto Irish players. The three lads that moved to Pau (Coughlan, Foley & Butler) would be on a lot more money there than if they stayed in Ireland on a provincial wage for Munster.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

good point, why bother.

the bandwagon does not demand local talent, it demands results
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:good point, why bother.

the bandwagon does not demand local talent, it demands results
Such a shame that they have neither.
Anyone But New Zealand
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

janeymac08 wrote:
ronk wrote:They'll never be good enough if they don't get a chance.

But they need to be of international standard - which is the main thing that holds onto Irish players. The three lads that moved to Pau (Coughlan, Foley & Butler) would be on a lot more money there than if they stayed in Ireland on a provincial wage for Munster.
Munster by the grace of god, Pau by filthy lucre!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

International standard like Ryan and Zebo?

Or is Nucifora clearing out to make space for his recruits?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote:International standard like Ryan and Zebo?

Nucifora wasn't anywhere near these decisions. Once they outside the Munster Academy this is between Agents and Munster Rugby. In fact Munster Rugby do not even have a veto on their moving if they are over 18.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
ronk wrote:International standard like Ryan and Zebo?

Nucifora wasn't anywhere near these decisions. Once they outside the Munster Academy this is between Agents and Munster Rugby. In fact Munster Rugby do not even have a veto on their moving if they are over 18.
I hadn’t meant to point that one at Nucifora but it does read that way.

I was thinking more about the extent to while Munster are blithely letting Irish players go while recruiting in the same positions. They’ve lost some of their elite talent too.

Nucifora supplies the replacements, but the exodus is on Munster.
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

big fan of Donncha Ryan but was it cost-effective to re-sign him? I think it was the right call for all concerned.

I expect we will see a similar situation with Sean O'Brien at the end of his contract.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

MelbourneRebel wrote:big fan of Donncha Ryan but was it cost-effective to re-sign him? I think it was the right call for all concerned.

I expect we will see a similar situation with Sean O'Brien at the end of his contract.
I get that Munster might feel they get better value from Grobler and Kleyn than Ryan and Foley. I don't respect them for it and I'm angry that the IRFU help them do it.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think Melbourne might have been alluding to Leinster possible attitude to Sob when his central ends.

I can't see Leinster paying for him.

I don't know why they didn't want to keep Zebo though as he, unlike Sean, played a huge amount of games for them.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

fourthirtythree wrote:I think Melbourne might have been alluding to Leinster possible attitude to Sob when his central ends.

I don't know why they didn't want to keep Zebo though as he, unlike Sean, played a huge amount of games for them.
Difference being that I can't see any big french club offering serious money to O'Brien for the 2019/2020 season. He would barely play for them. He's in bits.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

fourthirtythree wrote:I think Melbourne might have been alluding to Leinster possible attitude to Sob when his central ends.

Zebo wanted to leave specifically to play in France. He has been open about it. Fair play to him, he made his choice [a difficult one] and is following through on it. I thought that he milked it a bit at the end [last game in Cork, last game in Europe, last game in Thomond, last game for Munster etc.] but that's just a personal taste thing. I wish him well.

I think Ryan just wanted to play somewhere else after a long, long time doing the same job in the same environment. I've no insight on the situation, it's just a hunch. It's not at all unheard of - O'Connell did the same thing at the end of his career, it's just that injury prevented him from playing for Toulon. He was a Toulon player when he retired ... I don't mean that as a slight on him or Munster, but he had signed for them, moved there and wanted to play for them.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Ryan, was also quite open about wanting to try another environment before hanging up his boots, he was on record, even said he signalled it to the IRFU a year out from the move. But all that just got in the way of a good hard luck story and so was forgotten about.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

BlueBlue wrote:Ryan, was also quite open about wanting to try another environment before hanging up his boots, he was on record, even said he signalled it to the IRFU a year out from the move. But all that just got in the way of a good hard luck story and so was forgotten about.
Yeah, but it's dead easy to shoot down all the direct quotes from Zebo & Ryan with, "yeah, but they have to say that. They don't want to bad mouth the IRFU because they're so incredibly honerable and they love Ireland so much they don't want to let go of the last shred of hope". That wonderful argument basically lets you invent any narrative you like.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

www.balls.ie/amp/rugby/donancha-ryan-361969

A lot of things were said with quotes. Zebo also talked about looking out for his family.

Munster had 2 players who were making most Irish 23s but weren’t on central contracts. Neither renewed. This isn’t an outlier. It fits with their overall strategy.

Even the 2 guys who toured Oz and are joining them are discounted. Carbery was under contract and will get a central, Beirne was offered more by Scarlets (not some French deal).