Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by tomthefan »

jimbobjoe wrote:What's the rugby playing proportion split of the 4 four provinces?
That would be interesting to know.
The figures I've seen for Ireland as a whole look vastly inflated.

EDit: back of an envelope :
190K players say 180K of them male

3 million males in the country about 33% of those would be of rugby playing age.
So a potential pool of a million
You be needing nearly one in five males of rugby playing age to be playing the game to make
up those numbers

https://www.worldrugby.org/development/ ... rs?lang=en
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Must have been the lowest attendance of all of the matches involving the Irish provinces. Not poking, it's concerning.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

While looking at the teams being announced on screen for that game one thing hit me. How many guys are coming through the Munster academy. I accept that Leinster has huge numbers but they must be able to do better. I am not going to go through their squad as life is too short but they appear to build their squad on imports. As an Irish fan I would hope they could do better as we need more dept.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Fireworks wrote:While looking at the teams being announced on screen for that game one thing hit me. How many guys are coming through the Munster academy. I accept that Leinster has huge numbers but they must be able to do better. I am not going to go through their squad as life is too short but they appear to build their squad on imports. As an Irish fan I would hope they could do better as we need more dept.
This is last season’s thread. It comes up occasionally.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

ronk wrote:
Fireworks wrote:While looking at the teams being announced on screen for that game one thing hit me. How many guys are coming through the Munster academy. I accept that Leinster has huge numbers but they must be able to do better. I am not going to go through their squad as life is too short but they appear to build their squad on imports. As an Irish fan I would hope they could do better as we need more dept.
This is last season’s thread. It comes up occasionally.
There was me thinking I was doing the right thing by not putting the comment in the match thread. Need to pay more attention.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Taute off the books with a move to Leicester next season with Hart and Keatley leaving too. Should bring down the wage bill a little.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

sunshiner1 wrote:Taute off the books with a move to Leicester next season with Hart and Keatley leaving too. Should bring down the wage bill a little.

Ronan O'Mahony, Dave O'Callaghan, Williams, Bleyendaal, Mathewson, Sherry and Fitzgerald are others who could be off.

No harm trimming the squad down a bit. Mathewson would be the only one I'd keep. I don't think there was a need to extend Botha's contract either when you consider DOC2, Oliver, JOD and Coombes have hardly played this season plus I think Wycherley is going to end up as a 6.

POM and Stander seem to be starting most weeks even against weak opposition. Come the end of the season that might come back to bite JVG on the ass. Leo manages the Leinster squad much better even though he has more resources.

Signings wise, I don't think there should be more than 1 (not including the academy). A quality lock is needed imo to ease the game time of Kleyn and Beirne.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

If I was Ulster I would be offering JOD a contract. Coetze won't be allowed stay forever and Munster are wasting him.