Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

janeymac08
Mullet

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by janeymac08 »

Ryan lost his central contract. That told him the writing was on the wall that his international career was finishing off, so basically he had to go then or be at a significant financial loss. Zebo's situation was different from the point of view he wasn't ever going to get a central contract and he needed to make some cash for his family now, rather than at the end of his career.

I also think the IRFU probably thought they wouldn't leave Munster, bearing in mind what had just happened to Axel.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

janeymac08 wrote:Ryan lost his central contract. That told him the writing was on the wall that his international career was finishing off, so basically he had to go then or be at a significant financial loss. Zebo's situation was different from the point of view he wasn't ever going to get a central contract and he needed to make some cash for his family now, rather than at the end of his career.

I also think the IRFU probably thought they wouldn't leave Munster, bearing in mind what had just happened to Axel.
Again this old red herring of Ryan’s central contract - it’s a total nonsense. Ryan wanted out of Munster, it’s well documented.

As for monsieur Zebo, you’ve hit the nail on the head - he wanted more money and cashed in early in his career.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

According to Ronan O'Gara Zebo was offered a comparable wage at Racing but he just wanted to go to France. Maybe Ronan was lying but he would probably have a fair idea.

I can't imagine Munster wouldn't have broken the bank to keep O'Mahony, why they didn't to keep Zebo is a question I have never seen asked.

Or indeed Ryan. Well I understand that in terms of injury profile
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

I thought O'Mahony got a central contract.
Four Stars
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

janeymac08 wrote:Ryan lost his central contract. That told him the writing was on the wall that his international career was finishing off, so basically he had to go then or be at a significant financial loss. Zebo's situation was different from the point of view he wasn't ever going to get a central contract and he needed to make some cash for his family now, rather than at the end of his career.

bollix, ryan said there was no difference in contract, he simply wanted to leave munster.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

fourthirtythree wrote:According to Ronan O'Gara Zebo was offered a comparable wage at Racing but he just wanted to go to France. Maybe Ronan was lying but he would probably have a fair idea.

I can't imagine Munster wouldn't have broken the bank to keep O'Mahony, why they didn't to keep Zebo is a question I have never seen asked.
Munster offered Zebo €700K per annum + car and accommodation? (Munster offered something like half that which would have included international bonus payments dependent on whether Schmidt decided to pick him or not).

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3266364
Or indeed Ryan. Well I understand that in terms of injury profile
Similarly with Ryan - he would have taken a substantial paycut to €300K per season and out of the picture internationally. Racing offered him €600K - and boy have they got a bargain. Munster could have done with him in the Champions Cup.

Both would have been clowns to remain in Ireland.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

mildlyinterested wrote:

bollix, ryan said there was no difference in contract, he simply wanted to leave munster.
Bullshit.

http://www.the42.ie/donnacha-ryan-munst ... 2-Mar2017/
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Similarly with Ryan - he would have taken a substantial paycut to €300K per season and out of the picture internationally. Racing offered him €600K - and boy have they got a bargain. Munster could have done with him in the Champions Cup.

Both would have been clowns to remain in Ireland.[/quote]

So your saying Ryan is a liar? Or are you just doing what the bankers did and plucking this from your …..
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

janeymac08 wrote:Similarly with Ryan - he would have taken a substantial paycut to €300K per season and out of the picture internationally. Racing offered him €600K - and boy have they got a bargain. Munster could have done with him in the Champions Cup.

Did you even read the article that you linked?

"The42 understands that Ryan’s contract with the Top 14 club will see him earn in the region of €600,000 over the course of the two-year deal."

300K per season << 600K over two seasons? That's some serious Munster maths!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

While this stuff is private, I'd be pretty sure Ronan O'Gara had a fair idea of what was going on seeing as he was a Racing coach at the time and knew everyone involved very well.

Internet comments are up there with Galwey's "I haven't talked to him but I know 100 percent Ryan wants to stay at Munster."
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

ChrisUppy wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:Similarly with Ryan - he would have taken a substantial paycut to €300K per season and out of the picture internationally. Racing offered him €600K - and boy have they got a bargain. Munster could have done with him in the Champions Cup.

Did you even read the article that you linked?

"The42 understands that Ryan’s contract with the Top 14 club will see him earn in the region of €600,000 over the course of the two-year deal."

300K per season << 600K over two seasons? That's some serious Munster maths!
I read the part where it said he took a paycut.
In Ryan's own words:

Speaking on Second Captains, Ryan denied a superior offer lured him abroad.

SC: Were you upset you didn't get a better offer?

Ryan: No. In the end, it was definitely not a financial decision.

SC: So there was a bit of battling and then you did get an offer that would have been acceptable?

Ryan: Yeah, that's the reality. It goes through your head like. They're great, the IRFU are fantastic and they are trying to run a business. Players are trying to run a business as well. That's what they are, they are all sole traders. People sometimes take away from that and then these things are blown out of proportion. At the same time, you look and fast-forward two years in time and there is that emotional attachment of wanting to stay in your home as well but it's probably the best thing I have done. I appreciate Munster and Ireland so much more now. All the days we've had, it is great. At the same time, I'm trying to build skills for when I am going to finish playing rugby at the same time because you have a career to deal with after you are finished.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

fourthirtythree wrote:While this stuff is private, I'd be pretty sure Ronan O'Gara had a fair idea of what was going on seeing as he was a Racing coach at the time and knew everyone involved very well.

Internet comments are up there with Galwey's "I haven't talked to him but I know 100 percent Ryan wants to stay at Munster."
Ronan O'Gara has said that while he made the initial contact, he stayed well away from the negotiations. I seriously doubt that ROG would say anything about anyone's contract anyway.

Zebo's contract value has been publicised all over the place - can you supply a link to where ROG said he was getting the same please?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Not a hope. He said it on live TV and it was reported many times. I am absolutely not going to trawl through the actual mountain of shite written about Zebo's departure. Whether you believe O'Gara said that or not is of no concern to me.

He did.

Reading the pitying cr@p from that time would make me dirty. We are all sick of it.

Munster would rather pay multiple foreigners than push the boat out for their own.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

CiaranIrl wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:Ryan, was also quite open about wanting to try another environment before hanging up his boots, he was on record, even said he signalled it to the IRFU a year out from the move. But all that just got in the way of a good hard luck story and so was forgotten about.
Yeah, but it's dead easy to shoot down all the direct quotes from Zebo & Ryan with, "yeah, but they have to say that. They don't want to bad mouth the IRFU because they're so incredibly honerable and they love Ireland so much they don't want to let go of the last shred of hope". That wonderful argument basically lets you invent any narrative you like.
Sure look, when dealing with Munster Fans myth always beats reality. They've a strong culture of it down there in all aspects of life not just Rugby. I generally regard all things said by Munster folk as comedy. And I'm not just saying that to me mean spirited, its my considered view of them. Cork and Kerry have it the worst, followed by Limerick. Waterford Clare and Tipp not so bad, almost normal when it comes to myth v's reality.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Again this old red herring of Ryan’s central contract - it’s a total nonsense. Ryan wanted out of Munster, it’s well documented.

As for monsieur Zebo, you’ve hit the nail on the head - he wanted more money and cashed in early in his career.
That's about the size of it alright, couldn't agree more.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

fourthirtythree wrote:While this stuff is private, I'd be pretty sure Ronan O'Gara had a fair idea of what was going on seeing as he was a Racing coach at the time and knew everyone involved very well.

:lol: Pure Galwey
drive for 5
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

BlueBlue wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:Ryan, was also quite open about wanting to try another environment before hanging up his boots, he was on record, even said he signalled it to the IRFU a year out from the move. But all that just got in the way of a good hard luck story and so was forgotten about.
Yeah, but it's dead easy to shoot down all the direct quotes from Zebo & Ryan with, "yeah, but they have to say that. They don't want to bad mouth the IRFU because they're so incredibly honerable and they love Ireland so much they don't want to let go of the last shred of hope". That wonderful argument basically lets you invent any narrative you like.
Sure look, when dealing with Munster Fans myth always beats reality. They've a strong culture of it down there in all aspects of life not just Rugby. I generally regard all things said by Munster folk as comedy. And I'm not just saying that to me mean spirited, its my considered view of them. Cork and Kerry have it the worst, followed by Limerick. Waterford Clare and Tipp not so bad, almost normal when it comes to myth v's reality.
Putting people in boxes based on what county they are from? Yeah sounds logical.

A bit like the astrology column in the daily redtop. "roughly a 12th of the worlds population will meet a dark stranger today" Wow. That's over 6 hundred million people. How many of the rest of us would have to BE that dark stranger.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

A bit like the astrology column in the daily redtop. "roughly a 12th of the worlds population will meet a dark stranger today" Wow. That's over 6 hundred million people. How many of the rest of us would have to BE that dark stranger.
Don't read redtops.
drive for 5
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Is that because you are afraid they might be from Munster?
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

johng wrote:Is that because you are afraid they might be from Munster?
I was thinking Cork.
drive for 5