Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:The hooker was the quicker one
He might have outrun the opposition front row
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Much improved attack from Munster this season. Wootton looks another good find to add to the back 3 options.

Bigger tests to come but good to see they've been working on things over the summer.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It is has been confirmed that South African lock Gerbrandt Grobler is expected to be side-lined until the new year after undergoing surgery for the ankle injury he sustained in the preseason game against Worcester Warriors.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It will keep him (Grobler) out of action until the new year and that’s also the the expectancy for O’Shea (shoulder) and O’Callaghan (knee) as all three recover from surgery on their various ailments. It could be that Erasmus will again come knocking on the door of David Nucifora, the Australian charged with managing the affairs of this country’s elite players.

“It’s a tricky one because you’ve lost three guys in one position”, said Erasmus. “You have to go through a process but that has always been a very open one and we never had to play tricks to get someone in. We are a bit under the cosh currently but now our young guys have the opportunity to put their hands up at training and in club rugby.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 58814.html

Please sir, can I have some more?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

blockhead wrote:
It will keep him (Grobler) out of action until the new year and that’s also the the expectancy for O’Shea (shoulder) and O’Callaghan (knee) as all three recover from surgery on their various ailments. It could be that Erasmus will again come knocking on the door of David Nucifora, the Australian charged with managing the affairs of this country’s elite players.

“It’s a tricky one because you’ve lost three guys in one position”, said Erasmus. “You have to go through a process but that has always been a very open one and we never had to play tricks to get someone in. We are a bit under the cosh currently but now our young guys have the opportunity to put their hands up at training and in club rugby.

How many did they get up to last time?
Anyone But New Zealand
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

missing 3 locks is fair enough circumstances for a joker IMO

think it was at least 9 foreign players all told last season
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

FLIP wrote:
blockhead wrote:

How many did they get up to last time?
I think the most I've ever counted in Munster was 10 NIQs in their squad at one time, when including medical jokers and injured players. I believe that was in the 2015/16 season.

It seems any time a Munster player gets injured it's a "crisis", they sign a replacement on a 1 year contract and get their original player back a month or two later. They're just not producing the players and are completely reliant on NIQs and other provinces. They have 7 non-home grown players in their starting 15 this weekend (Conway, Farrell, Taut, Wooton, Bleyandaal, Marshall, Kleyn) with another 3 on the bench. Leinster have 2 non academy graduates in their 23. (Bent and Cronin)
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

James Hook just pranced through Munster defence for his try. Looked like some players tried to get out of his way
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Laighin Break wrote:James Hook just pranced through Munster defence for his try. Looked like some players tried to get out of his way
James Hook, the Peter Pan of Welsh rugby.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Now, according to The42.ie, the red province are rumoured to be interviewing for Erasmus’ replacement this week and the South African himself has been speaking about one of the reported candidates.
David Wessels strongly linked to the job.
http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/gbrenn ... nster-job/
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Erasmus has achieved a huge amount in a very short time.
Hopefully his successor will be able to continue the work.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Erasmus has achieved a huge amount in a very short time.
Hopefully his successor will be able to continue the work.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Sad News.
FORMER Munster Rugby media manager Pat Geraghty has passed away following an illness.

Aged in his early 60s, Pat Geraghty served the role as Munster’s media manager between 2000 and 2013.

As part of his role with Munster, the Kildare native dealt with press requests for interviews, arranged player appearances, press conferences and ensured that the Munster website was kept up to date.

His time with Munster was highlighted by the province’s only two Heineken Cup successes in 2006 and 2008.

Pat Geraghty also worked as the media officer with Leinster Rugby
RIP
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Very sad to hear this. Had many a run in with Pat across a whole range of media and in person over the years including one pretty profound disagreement over 2009, but he was a good man who left it all in the office and was excellent company any time I was fortunate enough to find myself in it. I always remember after the 2012 Pro12 final bumping into Pat in the hospitality room where he was giving Romain Poite the hairy eyeball as he hastily ate his post match meal and both of us being too peed off to talk about the game, so we had a disagreement about Seanie Johnston instead, all in good spirits of course. He had an intense dislike of and disdain for webforums, starting with the Shannon Rugby messageboard and he migrated that dislike to Munsterfans.com (younger fans might not remember that mf.com used to be a great forum before they lost the run of themselves) and no doubt to the UAFC and Leinsterfans. I'm told the Munster players absolutely worshipped the guy because he protected them so well. I'd say Marcus Horan had a few sticky mornings all the same as mf was originally set up by a relative of his. I was only commenting yesterday to a colleague that if someone like Pat were in South Africa the tale of the tour would be told differently. Irish sport is poorer for his loss.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Nice post Dave.
RIP
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Mark Flanagan gone to Munster on a 3 month loan.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:Mark Flanagan gone to Munster on a 3 month loan.
good move all round
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Munster were well beaten, Glasgow should have scored more. Glasgow looked very good in patches but forced it a bit too much at times and knocked on a lot, Munster had them in the scrums.
Wycherley got a red near the end.
Lots of niggle.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:Munster were well beaten, Glasgow should have scored more. Glasgow looked very good in patches but forced it a bit too much at times and knocked on a lot, Munster had them in the scrums.
Lots of niggle.
Semi moot point but red seemed a little harsh perhaps
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

simonokeeffe wrote:
blockhead wrote:Munster were well beaten, Glasgow should have scored more. Glasgow looked very good in patches but forced it a bit too much at times and knocked on a lot, Munster had them in the scrums.
Lots of niggle.
Semi moot point but red seemed a little harsh perhaps
How is flying into a ruck unbound (I know no one ever binds but that's not the point) leading with shoulder and following through with an elbow to the head harsh??