Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:Supposedly Racing have won the bidding for Zebo's hand. Hasn't being confirmed yet but it seems to be known among folks down south.
Maybe ROG will try and take him to Canterbury with him
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

Wouldn't think so ROG's trip to Canterbury is all part of his own journey to the top of the coaching ladder hopefully first at Munster then Ireland.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RAILWAY1 wrote:Wouldn't think so ROG's trip to Canterbury is all part of his own journey to the top of the coaching ladder hopefully first at Munster then Ireland.
He talks a good game for sure. I wonder is this move to NZ part of a plan for ROG. I mean, an IRFU plan, they see something in the guy and want him to experience the full gamut before coming home.
Also, when he does come home he could poach a few players from NZ. Just like he's doing now, to Munster.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Peg Leg wrote:
RoboProp wrote:This Zedbo quote irked me
"At least I've the balls to do it and I won't shirk away from a challenge. I won't look back on my career with any regret."

It doesn't take much to sign on the dotted line. Look I get it, it's a pro game but don't make it out like you're taking Omaha beach. RoboGranPops was a turret gunner in WW2 and was a modest family man. He'd never had made such a claim. Get over yourself Si.
Well if you're comparing everything to Gdad on omaha beach, then we're all likely to come off 2nd best.
But viewed as its own thing, its more interesting to think that it takes "balls" to sign a lucrative, money first, contract, rather than do the (actually ballsy) standard. Stay and fight for a seat at the highest table.
I'd argue it takes less balls to go and more to stay. However, what he is doing is perfectly sensible.
Indeed. Is he also questioning his teammates' decision to stay? His comment is funny and silly in equal measure.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

There must be a few worries down south as to the quality of van Graan's coaching, based on how poor the performance of the Springboks was. That's probably the worst S. African team performance I've seen in the professional era and that includes the 57-0 against the All Blacks.
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

I would say that South African team is starting to feel the full effect of the compulsory quota system rather than an indictment of Van Grann's ability (hopefully). Imagine if Joe was told he had to pick his Irish team with strict quotas from each province, I dare say the standard would dip considerably
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

RAILWAY1 wrote:I would say that South African team is starting to feel the full effect of the compulsory quota system rather than an indictment of Van Grann's ability (hopefully). Imagine if Joe was told he had to pick his Irish team with strict quotas from each province, I dare say the standard would dip considerably
Is that not already the case - 2 x Connacht; 4 x Ulster; 6 x Munster and 12 x Leinster :twisted:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Xanthippe wrote:
RAILWAY1 wrote:I would say that South African team is starting to feel the full effect of the compulsory quota system rather than an indictment of Van Grann's ability (hopefully). Imagine if Joe was told he had to pick his Irish team with strict quotas from each province, I dare say the standard would dip considerably
Is that not already the case - 2 x Connacht; 4 x Ulster; 6 x Munster and 12 x Leinster :twisted:
I'll accept the challenge.
Say a min/max of 5/6 each for Leinster Munster Ulster and 3/5 from Connacht and two wild cards in case JS wanted to pick Zebo for exampke or two extra players from any province.
In theory the max number of players any province could have is 8 ie 6 from max entitled plus two wild cards.
Perhaps some leeway where inter provincial transfer have occurred. Henshaw and Conway come to mind.
So a possible match day squad for JS to ponder.
TOH
Stockdale
Henshaw (Connacht)
Aki
Earls
Sexton
Murray
McGrath Best Furlong
Henderson Toner
SOB VDF Stander
So far so good
Leinster(6) Munster(3) Ulster(3) Connacht(3)
The Bench
Scannell McGrath Ryan Dillane Cooney Carberry Bowe.
Leinster(8) Munster(6) Ulster(5) Connacht(4)
Getting Ulster up to 5 was difficult because of the Jackson and Olding situation and injuries to Payne and Gilmore.
Might be worth it's own thread actually.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Struggling to see how Munster fans can be optimistic about the new head coach. Got his break into coaching at the club where his dad is CEO, then got into the national team based on a personal relationship built there (and possibly his talents), but he is the only remaining coach from a successful period of SA rugby, but when the men around him left, it went to sh!t, which begs the question, how much did he have to do with the previous period of success in the first place, and how good can he be to be incapable of preventing this SA team being the worst in modern history?

Plus he's replacing two coaches so I'm assuming he's taking over a dual role, he's fairly inexperienced having never held a head coach position and he's surrounded by a couple of coaches with anything but impressive CVs or experience to deputize.

None of this means he will be a failure, he could be a superb coach, but it hardly bodes well.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

James Cronin tore his calf muscle playing for the Babas at Thomond Park on Friday night.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

CJ Speaks.
“In the beginning of the year I felt I was trying maybe to concentrate on stuff that wasn’t in my control,” he says. “Joe spoke to me before the game and gave a good analogy, said I was like an aeroplane on the runway, I’m there but I’m not going up. Stander added: “It’s a big boost [to get that talk from Joe]. Sometimes as a player, you go through ups and downs. I think if a coach believes in you and he gives a bit of that motivation, it helps a lot.
Munster player says nice things about BlueJoe.
Won't go down well is some parts of the Island.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

blockhead wrote:CJ Speaks.
“In the beginning of the year I felt I was trying maybe to concentrate on stuff that wasn’t in my control,” he says. “Joe spoke to me before the game and gave a good analogy, said I was like an aeroplane on the runway, I’m there but I’m not going up. Stander added: “It’s a big boost [to get that talk from Joe]. Sometimes as a player, you go through ups and downs. I think if a coach believes in you and he gives a bit of that motivation, it helps a lot.
Its the start of the Van Graan out campaign!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:CJ Speaks.
It's all about "International Status" job security.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've only seen the second half but this Munster game is making my eyes bleed, I'm not sure I've even seen a J5 game as poor as this.

One exception is a pass that Zebo threw to set up Wooton for a try a few minutes ago, absolutely world class bit of skill.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Munster were down to 13 men at one stage.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

He's another one we can let go if push comes to shove. He'll be 30, playing in a position of huge depth. Team Ireland wouldn't miss him TBH.
Let him go and use the money to keep Murray.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by blockhead

He's another one we can let go if push comes to shove. He'll be 30, playing in a position of huge depth. Team Ireland wouldn't miss him TBH.
Let him go and use the money to keep Murray.
Agreed. I rate him but we have plenty of options there.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote:Start your engines...

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... um=twitter
'Lifestyle' but probably not Irish Captaincy. That's a big price to sacrifice for the rest of your life. 'Pashun' doesn't seem to be a currency with much purchasing power.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Lifestyle' but probably not Irish Captaincy. That's a big price to sacrifice for the rest of your life. 'Pashun' doesn't seem to be a currency with much purchasing power.
I'm assuming this is the same pashun that made Paul O'Connell finish his career at Toulon, DOC at Worcester, Stringer (wherever), Coughlan at Pau and of course led Zebo and Donnacha Ryan to turn down big money offers to France.