Connacht 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Connacht 2017 - 2018

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
blockhead wrote:We've yet to see how Aki will go at International level. However, I suspect that he will be 1st choice center when fit. Gary is very good, very good indeed, but Aki/Henshaw could be brilliant. More games for Ringrose with Leinster would be the fallout. Not so bad.
... for us sure! But of course Ringrose won’t be happy about it- and it’s likely to lead to him either moving from the club (unlikely)-or push to change positions. Garry to 15 possibly? Not a bad option or result: a sort of reverse Jarrod Payne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It'll be Henshaw to FB.
The RWC isn't too far away.
Carberry is Sexton's likely cover up to it and replacement after it.
Ergo we need to find w FB post RWC - Henshaw is the obvious candidate.
Lots of logic in that post @Oldschool.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

No to Henshaw to 15. He'll just end up being the same type of 15 Kearney is now. Would much rather a play-making 15 ala Payne or Carbery
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:No to Henshaw to 15. He'll just end up being the same type of 15 Kearney is now. Would much rather a play-making 15 ala Payne or Carbery
Im with Paddy on this one
Henshaw was always seen as a 13 but played 15 in his debut season just so they could get him on to the field

A bit like Jamie Roberts who started as a fb, I dont think he has the wheels for 15 at international level and it doesnt solve our 2nd distributor problem either

Shoehorn someone in at 14 if we are shoehorning
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

paddyor wrote:No to Henshaw to 15. He'll just end up being the same type of 15 Kearney is now. Would much rather a play-making 15 ala Payne or Carbery
Yeah- in the medium term for Ireland, Garry to FB gives us a second playmaker and frees up Carberry to move back to 10.

Henshaw’s skill set could be developed to fulfill that needed second playmaker role, but limited evidence I’ve seen from his Connacht days I’d suggest FB isn’t the best place for him to develop those elements. As Paddyor suggests a sort of poor mans Rob.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

artaneboy wrote:
Yeah- in the medium term for Ireland, Garry to FB gives us a second playmaker and frees up Carberry to move back to 10.

Henshaw’s skill set could be developed to fulfill that needed second playmaker role, but limited evidence I’ve seen from his Connacht days I’d suggest FB isn’t the best place for him to develop those elements. As Paddyor suggests a sort of poor mans Rob.

Actually I think he could be an upgrade on the current version of Kearney but I don't think he'd be much different in terms of passing or finding space. He seems to like contact.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Rumours of Jake Heenan heading off to France next year. Makes sense. The international career hasn't happened and he can make great money over there.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

I think Butler looks better than him and he only managed an average of 13.5 games per season over his first 4 seasons so don't think I'd be too disappointed to see him go.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

scentofgunpowder wrote:I think Butler looks better than him and he only managed an average of 13.5 games per season over his first 4 seasons so don't think I'd be too disappointed to see him go.
Have to agree there. At least he made all those project XVs. Dont think he would be on great money but he would certainly make more, hes a good player just terribly injury prone
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Tactically that's been a very good first half for Connacht against the Cheetahs with a 13-3 scoreline at h-t. Adioluckan scored a super try with great pace from 40m. But even allowing for playing with the wind, the boys in green are playing smart rugby. The 'Keane Edge' is getting sharper!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Even smarter when you see the injuries they had. Bealham was playing in the second row for a lot of the game.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Matt Healy's woeful defence showing why he has only the one Ireland cap. Adeleokun looks sharp after coming back from injury, might come into 6 Nations reckoning.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Jake Heenan leaving at end of season, dont know where though.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by blockhead

Supposedly it's France but I heard a rumour about Munster too!

With Heenan gone rumours are now swirling around Denis Buckley's head being turned. With him not getting any international notice he might fancy two years in France on big money and come back to Ireland when Schmidt has left. If this is the case apparently Peter Dooley is Connacht's target to replace him.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by blockhead

Supposedly it's France but I heard a rumour about Munster too!

With Heenan gone rumours are now swirling around Denis Buckley's head being turned. With him not getting any international notice he might fancy two years in France on big money and come back to Ireland when Schmidt has left. If this is the case apparently Peter Dooley is Connacht's target to replace him.
That's the cost of improvement in standards and internal competition on the island. Understandable from Buckley's perspective, he has given great service to Connacht but just hasn't got any traction with JS and, with Kilcoyne's selection based on improved scrummaging, it's hard to fault him looking around.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

He's contracted to 2019. I'd still like to bring in Dooley to rotate with him and then take over if he does leave at the end of next season. It's probably way too early to write off Coulson but he hasn't shown much yet.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by scentofgunpowder

He's contracted to 2019.
Really? I heard it was this season. Where did you find that out? I couldn't see the contract signings length anywhere.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by scentofgunpowder

http://www.the42.ie/connacht-contracts- ... 7-Dec2016/
Thanks. Good to put that rumour to rest. Have you heard anything about Heenan going to Bristol to rejoin Lam?
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

One of the worst Connacht performances I've ever seen today, a real throwback to the dark old days. In addition to being inept in almost every aspect of the game, the players lack any intensity or commitment whatsoever and team spirits look really poor. I'm curious what the perception is from neutrals?

Realistically if we are to improve we need new unit coaches at least, a few Fardy/Lowe tier NIQs, and a couple of Leinster's elite prospects. Not that I want you guys to lose home-grown players, but our academy is not producing at the moment and our representation in Ireland underage teams is extremely low.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

sunshiner1 wrote:
by scentofgunpowder

http://www.the42.ie/connacht-contracts- ... 7-Dec2016/
Thanks. Good to put that rumour to rest. Have you heard anything about Heenan going to Bristol to rejoin Lam?
I heard France but who knows. Not sure why anyone would throw big money at him, he's constantly injured.