Connacht 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Re: Connacht 2017 - 2018

Post by scentofgunpowder »

simonokeeffe wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Andre Deegan the aussie out-half is heading back to the Southern Hemisphere to sign with Western Force. Can't say he'll be missed but it's another NIQ off Connachts Squad.
Werent they disbanded? So hes going back to club rugby?

Leaves Butler and Dawai as useful ones and Lli gathering dust but out of contract this summer
Yes. They're playing a "World Series" which is just 7 friendly games with yet to be announced rule adjustments to make the game more spectator friendly. They'll then take Perth Spirit's spot in the NRC.

Dawai is ok but I'd rather not be using an NIQ slot on a 3rd string back row.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Chapeau

I never checked on Dawais contract length.

They could really do with a centre, then its wishful thinking like an expensive outhalf
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

simonokeeffe wrote:Chapeau

They could really do with a centre, then its wishful thinking like an expensive outhalf
Expiring in the summer.

Yeah Farrell and Aki are good players for our level but the rest are very average. Linked with Kyle Godwin at the moment.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

scentofgunpowder wrote:

Expiring in the summer.

Yeah Farrell and Aki are good players for our level but the rest are very average. Linked with Kyle Godwin at the moment.
And Aki misses a fair bit now. Rinaldson is class but is injured so often. I find it hard to pinpoint/prioritise where else they need to strengthen. Maybe prop and or locj
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

That's Akhi and Deegan gone with Godwin rumoured to be coming in. Connacht really need a quality out-half. I could see them making a serious bid for Marsh or Byrne this summer. They'll keep Butler for sure but no idea about Dawai. With Aki and McCartney now IQ they have some scope to bring in some new guys.

Has anyone heard about the Aussie guy they signed for their academy Harley Fox? Is he staying or going?
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Kyle Godwin to pack his bagsWe’re hearing Godwin, the Brumbies No.12, has signed a deal to play in Ireland. His one and only Test for the Wallabies came in 2016 in a game when Michael Cheika rested some of his best players, so you can’t blame the 25-year-old for chasing the Euro.
From the Oz newspapers. Looks like Godwin is coming to Ireland but doesn't say what province.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
Kyle Godwin to pack his bagsWe’re hearing Godwin, the Brumbies No.12, has signed a deal to play in Ireland. His one and only Test for the Wallabies came in 2016 in a game when Michael Cheika rested some of his best players, so you can’t blame the 25-year-old for chasing the Euro.
From the Oz newspapers. Looks like Godwin is coming to Ireland but doesn't say what province.
Has to be Connacht or Ulster Shirely
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

simonokeeffe wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:
Has to be Connacht or Ulster Shirely
Unlikely to be "chasing the Euro" in Belfast :lol: Can't see Ulster signing a centre either.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

He also plays 10 which is why it's a toss up. I'd discribe him as a 12 who sometimes plays 10 but that might be enough for Ulster.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I cant see the Aussies knowing the difference in currency locations :)
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

simonokeeffe wrote:
scentofgunpowder wrote:

Expiring in the summer.

And Aki misses a fair bit now. Rinaldson is class but is injured so often. I find it hard to pinpoint/prioritise where else they need to strengthen. Maybe prop and or locj
I would love to see us bring in Peter Dooley. A third decent TH would be nice but not sure we can justify an NIQ with Bealham and Carey there, not sure what IQ options are available. Maybe we'd take a punt on Oisin Heffernan he's hardly much worse than McCoy.

I'd love us to bring in a hardy veteran NIQ lock to mentor our promising young lads, but we have 6 already with Browne TBC so might not happen.

A ball carrying 8 is absolutely essential.

Definitely could do with a centre, maybe a 13 to allow Aki to move back to 12.

Have always wanted us to sign a tall powerful winger in the mould of someone like Patrick Osbourne, just to offer a different type of threat out wide.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Whatever happended to that back you guys had Leader? Don't know the first name.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

sunshiner1 wrote:Whatever happended to that back you guys had Leader? Don't know the first name.
Darragh Leader is still there AFAIK. Came on as a sub in a game I was watching earlier this season. Not sure if he's had injuries or just out of favour. One of the brothers will be playing in the American league
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Laighin Break

sunshiner1 wrote:
Whatever happended to that back you guys had Leader? Don't know the first name.

Darragh Leader is still there AFAIK. Came on as a sub in a game I was watching earlier this season. Not sure if he's had injuries or just out of favour. One of the brothers will be playing in the American league
Thanks
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Lam especially loved him but hes had a heap of serious injuries
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

CONNACHT HAVE CONFIRMED the signing of once-capped Ireland international Robin Copeland from Munster on a two-year contract.

Decent bit of business and the Connacht offload style might suit him better than Munster....
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Good move for all concerned
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

blockhead wrote:Good move for all concerned
Over time he faded into the background in the Munster squad so a change might help his career. I would see him as a good squad purchase. Solid but unremarkable and often that is enough.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Bit of a nerdy tangent but including schools and underage etc how many players have played for 3 provinces?

Keatley
Fogarty
Cooney

Wikipedia check

McCormack
Reddan
Willis
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Fireworks

I would see him as a good squad purchase. Solid but unremarkable and often that is enough.
Agreed. He's nothing to get excited about but nothing to be disappointed about either.