Connacht 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Connacht 2017 - 2018

Post by hugonaut »

hugonaut wrote:Weird move from Connacht from the outside looking in. I thought it was a good appointment when it was announced, but it was very obviously not a good season for them.

He seemed like a particularly spiky character. I was surprised that he criticised his players so much in public, but I was surprised that he did it in public, not by the criticism. Most of it seemed accurate, but that doesn't mean it was particularly wise to do it the way he did. I got the feeling that he thought that quite a few of his players weren't good workers and weren't as good as they thought they were, and that they needed to hear some home truths. But you don't necessarily need to put that through the public realm to get it across.

This is what he said about his time rebuilding the Tasman Makos:
"It became quite personal ... instead of dealing with a certain profile of player and putting up with some nonsense, we brought out a few sledgehammers. Basically culled a few people and rebuilt the team. We had to get rid of the 'entertainers' tag. We were brave attackers, gutless defenders. That's how it started."
[source: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 67421.html ]

Sounds familiar.
Didn't quite make my point there, despite all the words!

I would have backed him for at least another year. He has got a really extensive coaching CV and was extremely straightforward - both very good foundations for any coach.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

How much is it going to cost to terminate the contract? I would have thought it will involve a hefty payout. He was described as the perfect fit when appointed. If his personality is now being seen as the issue, criticising in public etc, then how rigorous was the process?

Welcoming the announcement, Connacht CEO Willie Ruane said:

“Following a rigorous process, we are delighted to be able to confirm the appointment of Kieran as our new Head Coach.

“Kieran’s rugby CV speaks for itself and immediately highlighted to us that he was the perfect fit for Connacht Rugby in the context of the profile of coach that we were looking for.

“Kieran is a highly experienced Head Coach with a winning track record and a proven ability in identifying talent and maximising the full potential of that talent. His ambitious and exciting brand of rugby is also consistent with the way Connacht Rugby and in particular our players want to continue to play the game into the future.

“Kieran’s time at Tasman also highlights the connection that his teams have with the community they represent, and that is something he clearly sees in Connacht as well.

“Kieran was immediately able to identify with our vision of ‘Grassroots to Green Shirts’, further highlighting to us that he was the right man for the job.

“Everyone at Connacht Rugby is extremely excited about the future and Kieran’s appointment is key to helping us achieve the level of sustained and consistent success that we are all working towards. Before he starts, there is a lot of rugby to be played and I know Pat and the team are fully focused on delivering a really strong finish to the current season”.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:We had to get rid of the 'entertainers' tag. We were brave attackers, gutless defenders. That's how it started."[/i]
[source: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 67421.html ]

Sounds familiar.
Could we bring him in for dead rubbers?

I agree with him going tbh, just think he was so bad with the media at times that he wasn't cut out for it. I don't doubt that he's got a great rugby brain and quite enjoyed his frustration at times (in that I think it was frustration rather than apathy) but I think you have to play the media game these days and the performance against Leinster probably changed the perception too much in his favour. We sent down a poor side, many of them weren't interested, the ref was dreadful, and the fact that it was Muldoon's last game made it a hugely emotional occasion. Connacht were excellent, but I wouldn't be basing next season on that game, and in the same way our players were questioned for not turning up, I'd question why Connacht were able to perform like that at the weekend when it's been missing for most of the season.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

He was Dave Rennie's number 2 before he came from NZ. We'll have him please.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

kermischocolate wrote:He was Dave Rennie's number 2 before he came from NZ. We'll have him please.
That might be a great career move for him.

It appears that Coaches comments in NZ are often a lot more forthright than up here. The fact that its their national game and every supporter is an expert may influence how and why some NZ Coaches feel able to say it as it is. Certainly dipping into their media coverage from time to time, you do get more technical and specific criticisms of players (usually by position than name).

In Ireland, and maybe in the NH, our sensitivities are still in the amateur era. Certainly no Coach at Club level criticises his players in public. Post-match pavilion dressing down is one thing, but washing your linen in public is a no-no.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Maybe the Connacht players need to toughen up a bit. They played cr@p for most of the season and a lot of them were dialling it so a bit of criticism was deserved. At least Keane cleared out a lot of the squad.

I agree with Hugonaut that they should have given him another season. It looks bad for all involved.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Apparently morale was at rock bottom at Connacht because of him and his methods. The general consensus seems to be shocked that he was fired but not sorry that he's gone. Keane seems to be Connacht's version of MOC after Schmidt. He wasn't working so get rid of him.

Rumour is that Kieran Crowley of Treviso is top of the IRFU wish list to replace him.

They are also rumoured with a second row called Joe Maksymiw from Leicester. Maybe he is IQ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Maksymiw
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:He was Dave Rennie's number 2 before he came from NZ. We'll have him please.

It appears that Coaches comments in NZ are often a lot more forthright than up here. The fact that its their national game and every supporter is an expert may influence how and why some NZ Coaches feel able to say it as it is. Certainly dipping into their media coverage from time to time, you do get more technical and specific criticisms of players (usually by position than name).

In Ireland, and maybe in the NH, our sensitivities are still in the amateur era. Certainly no Coach at Club level criticises his players in public. Post-match pavilion dressing down is one thing, but washing your linen in public is a no-no.
Glasgow coaches said pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago with regards to sports psychology /feedback /dealing with criticism.

Still think Rennie is trying to shoe horn Glasgow into a NZ way of playing that a) we're not good enough for and b) doesn't really work in the NH.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

kermischocolate wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

Glasgow coaches said pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago with regards to sports psychology /feedback /dealing with criticism.

Still think Rennie is trying to shoe horn Glasgow into a NZ way of playing that a) we're not good enough for and b) doesn't really work in the NH.
Of the names thrown about the only one that I would chase is Kieran Crowley who did a great job with Canada before taking on Treviso, where he is certainly having a positive impact. He is a thoughtful, measured, man who thinks strategically and coaches mano-e-mano and gets results.

Connacht have the playing Squad at present to be capable of beating 10 of the Pro14 regularly and any of the top four on occasion. Put in a 4 G pitch for training and put up capacity in the Showgrounds to 10,000 and they have the infrastructure of Exeter. Get the right Coach and get three good prospects through the Academy each year and they will be regular Pro14 contenders. Get a couple of the right NIQs and they could make European Champions competition every year. Its not a magic formula but it's doable.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Hooker Jonny Murphy of Rotherham meant to be signing for Connacht. This is interesting because Delahunt is meant to be out of contract this season.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

sunshiner1 wrote:They are also rumoured with a second row called Joe Maksymiw from Leicester. Maybe he is IQ?

Never heard that name before. Maksymiw. Google says it is the 271456th most common family name in the US, which means 60 people have that name. Walesonline says he is Welsh qualified.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

sunshiner1 wrote:Hooker Jonny Murphy of Rotherham meant to be signing for Connacht. This is interesting because Delahunt is meant to be out of contract this season.
If true it's just as likely that he's a replacement for O'Toole, 3 hookers is not enough and there's no obvious candidates for the academy. It's not clear whether Delahunt is out of contract or not.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by scentofgunpowder » May 7th, 2018, 8:13 pm

sunshiner1 wrote:
Hooker Jonny Murphy of Rotherham meant to be signing for Connacht. This is interesting because Delahunt is meant to be out of contract this season.

If true it's just as likely that he's a replacement for O'Toole, 3 hookers is not enough and there's no obvious candidates for the academy. It's not clear whether Delahunt is out of contract or not.]
Good to know. Surprised you guys let Jack Dineen go thought he was good enough.
by suisse » May 7th, 2018, 3:04 pm

sunshiner1 wrote:
They are also rumoured with a second row called Joe Maksymiw from Leicester. Maybe he is IQ?

Never heard that name before. Maksymiw. Google says it is the 271456th most common family name in the US, which means 60 people have that name. Walesonline says he is Welsh qualified.
He's Welsh and English qualified but wouldn't surprise me if he had a Irish grandparent.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Supposedly Michael Milne is Connacht Academy for next year.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Joe Maksymiw joins Connacht to replace Andrew Browne. You gotta hand it to Connacht they found this guy and James Cannon a season or two ago both are excellent player that Leinster could do with.

http://www.the42.ie/joe-maksymiw-connac ... 2-May2018/
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

sunshiner1 wrote:Joe Maksymiw joins Connacht to replace Andrew Browne. You gotta hand it to Connacht they found this guy and James Cannon a season or two ago both are excellent player that Leinster could do with.

He's played in two first class games in his career so far: 43 minutes in a win over Gloucester in the league and 9 minutes when they were thumped 39-0 by Castres in the cup.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

sunshiner1 wrote:Joe Maksymiw joins Connacht to replace Andrew Browne. You gotta hand it to Connacht they found this guy and James Cannon a season or two ago both are excellent player that Leinster could do with.

ehh not sure about that now...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Are Either of them better than Mick Kearney (when he was at Connacht) or Ian Nagle v Australia?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

johng wrote:Are Either of them better than Mick Kearney (when he was at Connacht) or Ian Nagle v Australia?
this new lads has barely played pro rugby so dunno how he is an excellent player.. and Cannon hasn't looked excellent to me either.

Now If Roux or Thornbury came back to replace Kearney/Nagle i'd be okay with that.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Cannon is a decent squad player. Roux is good but frustrates me as he could be a lot better IMO. Thornbury has started to come into his own the last few months and looks to have the potential to nail down the 4 jersey next year.