Connacht 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Connacht 2017 - 2018

Post by Dave Cahill »

New season, new signings...
We are delighted to announce the signing of 25-year-old back-row forward Jarrad Butler as he joins Connacht Rugby on a three-year deal.
With 70 Super Rugby appearances to his name, New Zealand-born Butler is currently in his fourth season with the Brumbies in Australia and can play in all three positions across the back row.
Butler has been one of the Brumbies’ most consistent performers since a breakout 2014 Super Rugby season which saw him receive the club’s highest on-field honour, the Brett Robinson Players’ Player of the Year award.
Having moved to Australia from his native Wellington at the age of 13, Butler was identified as a potential professional while on a scholarship at renowned rugby nursery The Southport School in Queensland. He went on to represent Australia at every age-grade level including Schoolboys, U19s and U20s.
He made his Super Rugby debut for the Queensland Reds as a 20-year-old against the Highlanders in 2012 and moved to the Brumbies in 2014, where his first season thrust him into the spotlight as one of the leading back-row forwards in Australian rugby.
Butler’s leadership qualities have also been recognised and he captained the Canberra Vikings in the inaugural NRC (National Rugby Championship) in 2014, leading his side to the final. The competition’s top try-scorer, Butler was also voted the NRC Player of the Year.
After a strong 2015 season, Butler was recognised by Wallabies coach Michael Cheika who selected him to play for the Barbarians in England and praised him as an “aggressive” and “hard-working” back-rower who was “going fantastic for the Brumbies”.
Commenting on the latest player signing, Connacht Rugby CEO Willie Ruane said:
“We are delighted to be signing someone of Jarrad’s rugby ability and believe he will be a big addition to our squad.
“As a back-rower who is equally adept in all three positions, he brings a huge amount of versatility to the team. He is an extremely talented player who has been on the Wallabies’ radar for some time.
“At a young age, Jarrad has already gained a great deal of experience as a leader in a highly professional environment and we look forward to welcoming him to Connacht Rugby at the conclusion of the Super Rugby season.”
Speaking of the move, Butler said:
“I am extremely excited to be given this opportunity to join Connacht.
“I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Brumbies, however this new set of challenges on the other side of the world is something that I can’t wait to embrace.
“I look forward to being part of this proud club, meeting the supportive fans and community, and most importantly doing everything I can to help Connacht be successful.”
Butler is the seventh new addition to the Connacht senior squad this summer following the arrivals of scrum-half James Mitchell, prop Peter McCabe and second row Gavin Thornbury along with Academy graduates Conor McKeon (scrum-half), Cormac Brennan (utility back) and Pat O’Toole (hooker).
I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Connacht 2017 - 2018

Post by sunshiner1 »

I wonder with a name with Butler if he is IQ? I'd doubt it as they didn't say it but who knows.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:I wonder with a name with Butler if he is IQ? I'd doubt it as they didn't say it but who knows.
dont think so, moved to Aus from NZ as a kid apparently

Connacht up to 3 NIQs now, 2 of which are projects
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

The NIQ/PP rules seem more flexible these days.

Last chance to sign project players before the residency period goes to 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neill_m wrote:The NIQ/PP rules seem more flexible these days.

Last chance to sign project players before the residency period goes to 5 years.

Maybe for Munster ;-)
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

simonokeeffe wrote:
neill_m wrote:The NIQ/PP rules seem more flexible these days.

Maybe for Munster ;-)
If only there were still some Munster fans on here to bite on that :lol:
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

Poor effort at a wind up
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Excluding those qualifying in October Ulster and Leinster are on 4 NIQs, Connacht 3 but Munster are on 6. Connacht especially were denied NIQ medical jokers last season
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

simonokeeffe wrote:Excluding those qualifying in October Ulster and Leinster are on 4 NIQs, Connacht 3 but Munster are on 6. Connacht especially were denied NIQ medical jokers last season
I make it 5 for Munster (Marshall, Kleyn, Grobler, Cloete and Taute). Who is no 6 out of interest?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neill_m wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Excluding those qualifying in October Ulster and Leinster are on 4 NIQs, Connacht 3 but Munster are on 6. Connacht especially were denied NIQ medical jokers last season
I make it 5 for Munster (Marshall, Kleyn, Grobler, Cloete and Taute). Who is no 6 out of interest?
Its a pedantic 6
TB qualifies in the new year
So 5 1/2
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Boshoff posted a video of himself kicking in the Sportsground on Instagram today, looks like he's staying.

Edit: Never mind, looks like an old video.
porterbelly
Bookworm

Post by porterbelly »

simonokeeffe wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:I wonder with a name with Butler if he is IQ? I'd doubt it as they didn't say it but who knows.
dont think so, moved to Aus from NZ as a kid apparently

Connacht up to 3 NIQs now, 2 of which are projects
Nope, just the 2 NIQ's. Heenan is qualified, Fox Matamua was released.

And we've only 3 NIQ's on the books, 2 back rows and Stacey Ili which is less than all the other provinces
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wonder if we'll see much of Kerins this year. He really did look great for the 20s.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

apparently they are signing another niq backrow.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Wonder if we'll see much of Kerins this year. He really did look great for the 20s.
Mitchell, Blade, and McKeon are probably all ahead of him unfortunately. He's not going to develop much playing AIL 2A and with our shambles of an A team.

Harley Fox is the mooted backrow, that'd be 3 NIQ backrows which would be a bit strange.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Harley Fox is the mooted backrow, that'd be 3 NIQ backrows which would be a bit strange.
Agreed. Seems an odd choice but he looks like a big guy. Hope it works out for him and Connacht

https://melbournerebels.com/team/players/harley-fox/
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

6'1" and 18 stone. That's a big lad ok.

Convert him to hooker then?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Looking at his pic he looks like Dennis Buckley with a tan so front row could work

Either way, he is not sexy enough to pull off that name
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by johng
6'1" and 18 stone. That's a big lad ok.

Convert him to hooker then?
Connacht are already well stocked at Hooker so they don't need to do that. He is a big guy and could be a ball carrier for them like Stander is for Munster, but it still strikes me as an odd signing unless they are looking to phase out Muldoon who is meant to be retiring next year.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Former Australia u20 Andrew Deegan replacing Boshoff apparently.

http://www.the42.ie/connacht-andrew-dee ... 2-Jul2017/