Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by neill_m »

Final Round of Fixtures in the Regular season:

Saturday 28th April

2pm Southern Kings v Cheetahs
3:05pm Connacht v Leinster TG4
3:05pm Scarlets v Dragons BBC2W
5pm Benetton v Zebre
5:35pm Cardiff v Ospreys S4C
5:35pm Munster v Ulster TG4/BBC2NI
7:45pm Edinburgh v Glasgow Sky Sports

A few issues still to be settled. In Conference A, Cardiff can still catch Cheetahs but would need a BP win and the Cheetahs to pick no points in their game. Long shot. Zebre only 2 points behind Connacht at the bottom of the Conference.

In Conference B, Ulster can still catch Edinburgh for 3rd and an away playoff game v Munster. However would need a BP win and the Scots to get nul points in their game. Another long shot.

Edinburgh themselves are only 1 point behind the Scarlets. Would need a win and some help from the Dragons. If the Scarlets get a 4 pointer, then Edinburgh need a BP win. Again another long shot.

Finally the Scarlets can in theory catch Leinster, but would take a BP win for them and zero points for the Dublin side in Galway with a turnaround in the point difference of 127 points over the 2 games! 2 hopes – Bob Hope and No Hope.
Last edited by neill_m on April 25th, 2018, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ospreys have appointed Allen Clarke (former Ireland hooker) as their new head coach on a three-year deal.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

George North heading to the Ospreys for season 18/19. WRU contract.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Glasgow's home playoff semi final confirmed for Friday 18th May 7:45pm KO
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Isn't it great that the Pro14 Final is on at 6.30pm on the 26th of May.
The Champions league final is on at 7.45pm that same evening, brilliant. Especially when you consider that Liverpool will be in the final. That should really help viewership figures.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

blockhead wrote:Isn't it great that the Pro14 Final is on at 6.30pm on the 26th of May.
The Champions league final is on at 7.45pm that same evening, brilliant. Especially when you consider that Liverpool will be in the final. That should really help viewership figures.
Thats good. Won't have time to get to my local to experience some idiots dressed in Red, screaming at a TV for a foreign team.

(Might have got my weekends wrong there)! :twisted:
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I think this is the 3rd time I've asked this but,....
If we have a home semi V Munster could it be played in the Aviva?
2 weeks between Munster play-off and the semi.
We could be parading a certain something on the day.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

blockhead wrote:I think this is the 3rd time I've asked this but,....
Don’t know to be honest. The final is at LR the following week, whether that is a factor?

Looks like the SF will be on Sat 19th May as Glasgow have confirmed Fri 18th for theirs.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

So the quarters are on next weekend?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

Comes up every year, and could be a valid idea this time. Especially in the event that Ulster squeeze into the playoffs, thereby guaranteeing an all-Irish semi with three weeks to organise it. Could reasonably expect at least 30,000, or more depending on the mood music. There is an attendance figure at which it’s worth Leinster’s while financially, which I’m sure someone can quote.

Against that there’s the usual arguments against sacrificing RDS advantage. I personally don’t think that’s too big an issue for this one, but others may differ.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

paddyor wrote:So the quarters are on next weekend?
Yep.
Semis - 2 weeks later (along with the euro play-off)

Final -on the 26th
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Made Of Ale wrote:
Comes up every year, and could be a valid idea this time. Especially in the event that Ulster squeeze into the playoffs, thereby guaranteeing an all-Irish semi with three weeks to organise it. Could reasonably expect at least 30,000, or more depending on the mood music. There is an attendance figure at which it’s worth Leinster’s while financially, which I’m sure someone can quote.

Against that there’s the usual arguments against sacrificing RDS advantage. I personally don’t think that’s too big an issue for this one, but others may differ.
AVIVA is almost home from home given the number of times our players have played there this season with both Leinster and Ireland.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Leinster SF 3:15pm Sat 19th May
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

An 8th spot for the league would mean Ulster in and a Benetton Ospreys PO.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

neill_m wrote:An 8th spot for the league would mean Ulster in and a Benetton Ospreys PO.
How does that happen?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by neill_m »

CiaranIrl wrote:
neill_m wrote:An 8th spot for the league would mean Ulster in and a Benetton Ospreys PO.
How does that happen?
For the league to get an 8th spot - next week wins for Gloucester/Tigers, Pau and Oyonnax and then Leinster win the H Cup this year. Would not be putting the house on at PP for it to happen!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Saturday, May 19
Leinster Rugby v Munster Rugby OR Edinburgh
RDS Arena, Dublin
KO: 15:15
Host broadcaster: Sky Sports
Secondary broadcaster(s): TG4 & BBC ALBA if Edinburgh win

Looks like its the RDS so.
If Munster make it it will be the first time since the 2010 semi that we play them in the RDS.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

blockhead wrote:
Saturday, May 19
Leinster Rugby v Munster Rugby OR Edinburgh
RDS Arena, Dublin
KO: 15:15
Host broadcaster: Sky Sports
Secondary broadcaster(s): TG4 & BBC ALBA if Edinburgh win

Looks like its the RDS so.
If Munster make it it will be the first time since the 2010 semi that we play them in the RDS.
Probably why we are playing them in the RDS, they are no longer familiar with the RDS, its more raw , and the Leinster fans are right up on your back. Plus, the final in the Aviva becomes more like a carrot for the Leinster players to reach.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

How the new PRO14 television deal with Premier Sports will work out

Premier Sports will broadcast all of the league's 152 matches live in the UK from next season

ByGareth Fullerton 13:37, 30 APR 2018

The PRO14 have confirmed that Premier Sports have won the rights to broadcast all of the league's 152 matches live in the UK from next season.

Twenty-one matches (one per round) will also be shown on the company's free-to-air sister channel, FreeSports.

The deal brings the curtain down on the BBC's association with the PRO14, with the corporation and Sky Sports both being replaced.

The new subscription channel will cost viewers £9.99 per month.

The combined value of the new deal, plus the separate deals in Ireland (Eir) and South Africa (Super Sport) is understood to be around £30m. This is thought to represent a big increase in revenue from previous years.

The PRO14 have described the new deal as "a quantum leap for the league", with Premier Sports now set to launch another channel, Premier Sports 2, and promising to make PRO14 coverage their number one priority.

Martin Anayi, CEO of PRO14 Rugby, said: “The partnership with Premier Sports will be a watershed moment for the Guinness PRO14, our clubs and their supporters. As an innovative global rugby championship full of world-class players we are always looking to raise our game and this relationship is a bold step for us. This will take coverage of the Guinness PRO14 to a new level and unlock the tournament’s vast potential.

“By better resourcing our clubs through increased central revenue, we will ensure sustainability so they can further invest from the ground up to drive success on and off the pitch so they can retain supporters and attract new fans of all ages. Now rugby fans will be able to watch every game in the Guinness PRO14 which offers them more action than ever and that’s a terrific achievement.

“The bidding for broadcast rights showed us just how much interest there is in the Guinness PRO14 since our expansion into South Africa and the significantly increased revenue will allow us to invest back into our clubs, a figure which has doubled over the last three years.”

It means Ulster's Friday night games on BBC 2 Northern Ireland will soon be a thing of the past, as will the matches on BBC Wales and Alba.

The PRO14 issued a Q&A on Monday. Here are some of the key findings:
Q: Why are you moving to a subscription model?

A: Increasing revenues allows PRO14 Rugby to increase distribution to its teams and to further invest in the Championship to ensure standards on and off the pitch continue to rise. This will be clear to see from the High Definition live broadcasts and supporting programming produced by all of our new broadcast partners.

For the first-time ever it also allows for every game in the Guinness PRO14 to be broadcast live and in High Definition. The tendering process for these broadcast rights has proved that the Guinness PRO14 is a much sought-after tournament thanks to the strength of our existing clubs and the successful expansion into South Africa.

Q: What impact will the new broadcast deals have on kick-off times?

A: Our new broadcasters have control over their schedules and have less restrictions compared to network television. This means that our broadcasters will be able to work closely with our teams to help provide kick-off times and dates that are better suited to them and more convenient to their supporters.
Q: What other benefits will there be?

A: There will be extended pre and post-match analysis, magazine shows, highlights packages and Television Match Officials at every game which is a significant step forward for the Guinness PRO14 in order to raise standards across the board.
No big Jim Nealy?
Also, Sam Hildago-Clyne off to Scarlets.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

As a UK dweller it's disappointing to lose FTA rugby but I'm happy enough to pay £100 per year to see every game I want. Hopefully plenty of others will too.