Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by paddyor »

kermischocolate wrote:Firstly Lacey was beyond awful tonight but that's not why we lost the game.

We've gone backwards at a rate of knots since the season began. Yea Rennie has arrived with this fabulous reputation but it remains to be seen what he's actually done with us. That should have been the easiest half time team talk in history- we're getting humped at home in a semi final. Stop being so fecking passive and actually have some line speed and more importantly make some tackles!!! Yet, what happened? We were even more passive in the second half!!! The first half should not be acceptable for any group of players. To not improve in the second in just criminal (I know we scored points in the second half but that's not the point).

Best thing Glasgow can do over the summer is get in a decent forwards coach as our pack have gone from being competitive to being complete lightweights.

I don't know why anyone is surprised at tonight's game- the same thing has happened against every semi decent side we've played this season. Enraged doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about it!

I hope Leinster go on and do a double this year.
Nah. His manner can be grating, especially when you're losing/not playing well, but he really wasn't that influential in how the game panned out IMO. E.g. To me it looked like the gray peno/try decision was correct, a Scarlets fan would be raging if it was given against them.

Murray Kinsella has a piece on Barnes in the HEC final analysing the decisions and tbh, it's a bit of whinge. I think as fans we direct too much of our ire at the men in the middle.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

paddyor wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Firstly Lacey was beyond awful tonight but that's not why we lost the game.
Nah. His manner can be grating, especially when you're losing/not playing well, but he really wasn't that influential in how the game panned out IMO. E.g. To me it looked like the gray peno/try decision was correct, a Scarlets fan would be raging if it was given against them.

Murray Kinsella has a piece on Barnes in the HEC final analysing the decisions and tbh, it's a bit of whinge. I think as fans we direct too much of our ire at the men in the middle.
Except, no. He got too many decisions wrong. As I've already said it's not why we lost. But certainly didn't help.

The almost try from wee George Horne that wasn't given before half time because it was judged we knocked on actually came from a scarlets player knocking it out of our props hands. Should have gone to tmo to review at least.

To borrow from another Glasgow fan about 2 of the other standout decisions:
Jonny's '2nd try'

Ball was in a ruck so there's an offside line. However Law 15 states a ruck can only take place within the field of play. The in goal area is not the field of play. If the ball is on the try line it is in goal, not in the field of play and there can no longer be a ruck - or an offside line. For me the ball was on the line and that should have been a try.

Ball into touch from the kick off

Law 18 differentiates between a player in touch who picks up / catches a moving ball (their team throws in) and one who is in touch and picks up a stationary ball (kicking team throw in). This seems to be how Mr. Lacey and Mr. Murphy assessed that situation, judging that Glasgow had put the ball directly into touch.

However right now we're playing under the global law trials which have changed the definition for touch. If the ball has crossed the plane of touch and a player in touch catches it they are not deemed to have taken the ball into touch

If the ball has not crossed the plane of touch and a player in touch catches it they are deemed to have taken it into touch.

From where I was sitting the Scarlets player caught the ball before it crossed the line. I'd say should have been a lineout, Glasgow to throw in.
We lost because we were awful. And have been since about October.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The armchair ride in conf A did not prepare them for the competitiveness of conf B
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
kermischocolate
Mullet

Peg Leg wrote:The armchair ride in conf A did not prepare them for the competitiveness of conf B
A thousand times this.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Gray didn’t advance the ball, if it wasn’t already on the line it couldn’t have been touched down. Whether it was clearly over the line from the initial shot is not relevant, it didn’t move and was over the line in another shot. That’s enough.

This came up recently in a game so it’s not obscure.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote:
You take the money, you take the grief. It's different in Club rugby where we can't do without them and they're volunteers. Don't accept abuse in those circumstances.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

kermischocolate wrote:Except, no. He got too many decisions wrong. As I've already said it's not why we lost. But certainly didn't help.
Agree. And its not always about the decisions he got right or wrong, its some of the ones he missed and more importantly the ones he decided to let go, that rankled for me.

I thought Lacey made the Scarlets look better than they were.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Logorrhea wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Except, no. He got too many decisions wrong. As I've already said it's not why we lost. But certainly didn't help.
Agree. And its not always about the decisions he got right or wrong, its some of the ones he missed and more importantly the ones he decided to let go, that rankled for me.

I thought Lacey made the Scarlets look better than they were.
This!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I don't. I think Glasgow were gash start to finish and made Scarlets look better than they were. They're a joke at this stage, constantly booing the ref. Next few years are gonna be hard.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

paddyor wrote:I don't. I think Glasgow were gash start to finish and made Scarlets look better than they were. They're a joke at this stage, constantly booing the ref. Next few years are gonna be hard.
Rennie has a plan.

Telegraph:
After Glasgow’s “hugely disappointing” 28-13 Pro14 semi-final loss to Scarlets at Scotstoun on Friday night, Warriors head coach Dave Rennie admitted that he plans to draft in half a team of new players before next season to “give us a bit more of an edge”. The Kiwi will lose nine of the Glasgow first team squad this summer, including stand-off Finn Russell who is headed for Racing 92, but says that their replacements are already in place.

“We absolutely need to strengthen for next year but the big thing is around the go-forward,” said Rennie. “Our scrum is reasonably good, but we’ve got a few men to come in that will give us a bit more of an edge.

“We’ve done most of our recruitment but we haven’t announced it yet. We’ve got eight or nine guys leaving and we’ve probably replaced about seven of those. Looking at our squad for next year, we’ll have more depth.”
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
kermischocolate
Mullet

blockhead wrote: Rennie has a plan.
hmmmm. We'll see. Unless it involves a decent forwards coach and a better overall attitude for a start the only place we're going is backwards.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

kermischocolate wrote:
hmmmm. We'll see. Unless it involves signing at least 2 decent carriers for the pack, only place we're going is backwards.
Fixed.

One will get you to Munsters level which might be enough in the Pro14 but could see you welll....
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

How are next season's conferences determined?
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

John23 wrote:How are next season's conferences determined?
How your side did relative to other sides within same union. Only change I believe will be Leinster to A and Munster to B after yesterday’s game.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Thanks
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

For this season it was:

Conference A: Ireland 1, Ireland 4, Wales 2, Wales 3, Scotland 1, Italy 2, South Africa 1*
Conference B: Ireland 2, Ireland 3, Wales 1, Wales 4, Scotland 2, Italy 1, South Africa 2*

*I'm assuming Cheetahs were South Africa 1 but could be wrong.

Assuming that won't change for next season the conferences should be;

A: Leinster, Connacht, Cardiff, Ospreys, Glasgow, Zebre, Cheetahs
B: Munster, Ulster, Scarlets, Dragons, Edinburgh, Benetton, Kings
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

cormac wrote:For this season it was:

Conference A: Ireland 1, Ireland 4, Wales 2, Wales 3, Scotland 1, Italy 2, South Africa 1*
Conference B: Ireland 2, Ireland 3, Wales 1, Wales 4, Scotland 2, Italy 1, South Africa 2*

Spot on. Cheetahs were SA no 1.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

kermischocolate wrote:
hmmmm. We'll see. Unless it involves a decent forwards coach and a better overall attitude for a start the only place we're going is backwards.
Leone Nakawara was at the semi apparently. Rumours of him unhappy in Paris and wanting to go back to Glasgow.
Never thought I'd type such a sentence.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

cormac wrote:For this season it was:

Apparently the conferences will stay the same as this year so the fixtures even out.

So, that means Glasgow Ospreys and Cheetahs at home, Cardiff and Zebre away.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
kermischocolate
Mullet

blockhead wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
Leone Nakawara was at the semi apparently. Rumours of him unhappy in Paris and wanting to go back to Glasgow.
Never thought I'd type such a sentence.
He's regularly in Glasgow. He never really wanted to leave but Racing's offer was just too good (and let's face it, probably cheap for them).
Unfortunately, unless he's willing to take a massive pay cut we can't afford him.