Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Watched a lot of coverage of the first weekend. Missed any coverage of Connacht v Glasgow but saw something of every other game including full Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Scarlets games.

Our southern arrivals are both undercooked for Pro14 at present. Despite the 35-0 second half, Southern Kings impressed me the more with good ball carriers in their back-row, incisive mid-field runners and really quick back three.

Cheetahs frankly were a disappointment. Their front five flattered to decieve and their mid-field were pretty naive defensively. Again, great pace in their back three but they'll need more to make any impression in either Conference.

Of the regular occupants, Scarlets impressed most after a very error-strewn opening 5 minutes. Kiwi McNicolls started like an explosive NFL wide-receiver and continued as the most dynamic and elusive winger in the competition. Their front five was hard, efficient and mobile, with a middle five of intelligent attacking players who will dominant MOTM awards along the way. Very impressive coaching performance to have them in this state on day 1, after their surprise win last Season.

Ulster, Munster and Leinster all, probably, satisfied their supporters. Munster's rapid accumulation of tries overwhelmed their poor opponents.

Ulster's tit-for-tat start against Cheetahs was worrying. Piteau looked a limited defender whilst mid-field shuffled across eating up space. The back-row, however, were carrying well and looking very significant. Ultimately, Cheetahs porous defence against straight runners was totally inadequate. Ulster's new half-backs eventually began to combine and dominate and may well prove to be the cornerstone of a good season.

Munster's muscular performance gifted tries to almost their entire backline. Conway and Sweetnam in particular were impressive. Too early to be certain but Felix could have a big coaching impact.

As for my team, Leinster were impressive on the scoreboard and individually, but not yet quite convincing as a team. Despite the Penalty try, the maul is not yet effective. The line-out work is heading in the right direction and Fardy and Deegan were both significant in their roles. Defence against oppositon line-outs needs work but we should have the tools. Backrows were all good, but never looked like a unit, compared to Scarlets subsequent display.

Isa looks at home at 12. RO'L tried very hard but was not as effective as a year ago. RK looked so secure in the back but less certain coming forward. Byrne and Larmour offer differing talents and need contrasting involvements to optimise those talents.

Overall, a pleasing result but want to see our acrum, maul and line-out dominate opponents, before satisfaction will descend.

Finally, pleased for JGP, Nick McCarthy, James Ryan and Scott Fardy. Concerned whether Ed Byrne or Barry Daly will make the grade. Delighted to see Nugget Cronin 'explosions' all over the pitch. Early days but the signs augur well.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

What grade exactly do Ed Byrne and Barry Daly need to make?
Byrne is our 4th choice LH and Daly is about our 7th choice winger.

Both are more than good enough for those roles.
They may be usurped at some stage by better talents, but so far in their career they've shown more than enough to warrant contracts, and have time to improve too.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It must be much harder for the SA teams to adapt to our league and style of play. We're used to Sanzar players coming here and have loads of internationals who've played and prepared for years.

Imagine doing the reverse.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by blockhead

A Saffer's view on round 1
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/PRO14/sa ... 4-20170905
Cheers for that
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

WOW! Good on them.
Free tickets for Cheetahs' PRO14 home debut
2017-09-06 09:21
Bloemfontein - The Cheetahs have announced that tickets for their first home game in the PRO14 will be free of charge.

The Cheetahs’ first home game is against Italian side Zebra on Saturday, September 16 (19:30 kick-off).

A press statement released by the union on Tuesday read:

“With the compliments of our remarkable and loyal sponsor, Toyota SA, this will also be our annual Toyota Day and all tickets will be free of charge.

“Apart from the excitement brought by a global competition like the PRO14, Toyota Stadium will have the Toyota Warrior Race team and the likes of Richard Stirton and Arno Jordaan performing as part of the festivities. For the food enthusiasts, come and enjoy Italian and South African and cuisine.

"The Cheetahs invite all their supporters to be part of this campaign by attending the match in Toyota Stadium on Saturday, 16 September 2017.”

While the tickets will be free of charge, the union stressed that fans would still need a physical ticket to gain access to the stadium and that tickets will be limited to 10 per person.

Tickets can be collected from one of the designated collection points:

- Ticket office, Toyota Stadium
- Online at www.fscheetahs.co.za
- Toyota dealerships across the Free State

The Cheetahs started their PRO14 campaign with a 42-19 loss to Irish club Ulster in Belfast last Friday and their next match is against Munster at Thomond Park in Limerick this Saturday (kick-off 18:15 SA time).
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

good idea

scoring a million tries in their first home Pro14 game will hopefully get a few rubes hooked (I mean that in a positive way)

Dan Biggar to Saints next season confirmed, 600k a year
Might be silver lining of having to play Davies at 10 all the time will suit their lightweight, I mean talented young backline
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Biggar joining the Northampton Saints next season.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

People should really only need one ticket
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

600k! that's MADigan money
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Saints fans seem to be positively underwhelmed
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

simonokeeffe wrote:Saints fans seem to be positively underwhelmed
Probably because it will take them ages to cobble that wedge together...
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

domhnallj wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Saints fans seem to be positively underwhelmed
Probably because it will take them ages to cobble that wedge together...
Ah they have that Picamoles money gathering dust
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Eurosport to show pro14 matches in Europe and Asia.
http://www.pro14rugby.org/2017/09/07/eu ... hB43V0O.99
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

No one pick up on the Toyota Warrior Race? That's a bit lethal weapon 2 nes't pas?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Big win for Edinburgh 35-18 agin Dragons. Cockers has them off to a flyer. I was thinking that our conference was a dead cert 1,2,3 for Scarlets, Ulster and ourselves but maybe not. The Scottish derbies should be fun too.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by neill_m »

blockhead wrote:Big win for Edinburgh 35-18 agin Dragons. Cockers has them off to a flyer. I was thinking that our conference was a dead cert 1,2,3 for Scarlets, Ulster and ourselves but maybe not. The Scottish derbies should be fun too.
Watched a good bit of it. Edinburgh were good in bits, but got the job done. Fruean was v good. I agree they have a shot for the POs if teams slip up. Moving to Myreside is a big help for them.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Tbf Edinburgh have only played Dragons and Cardiff
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:Tbf Edinburgh have only played Dragons and Cardiff
:clap:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ulster were 0-21 up before Treviso came back with 2 tries of their own and nearly got a 3rd.