Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by JB1973 »

Ruddock is all but confirmed as staying on for at least another year at the ospreys and booth will be the new head coach.

Tupric has agreed a 3 year extension and we have signed two welsh exiles (both Swansea lads) protheroe from Bristol and a young lock Davies from Bath sensible recruitment for once, sadly a move to bring home the previous years wales under 20 captain and openside flanker reffell from leciester have failed (he moved from the ospreys set up there at age 16)

The scarlets have signed Costello the wales under 20 fly half (currently with Leicester) and they look to have secured Tomkins for next season on a years loan with a permanent option . So they will have all 3 first choice welsh centres. Which means at least 1 will be missing out on the big games and all 3 will be away from the scarlets at the same time. While the dragons have no centres in the welsh squad. A classic example of joined up welsh thinking

Moriarty is either staying at the dragons or going to Leicester (he is appealing his wru salary cap limit) Hill is moving from the dragons to the blues and they have signed sam moore (England under20 but wq ) from sale and scully ( the other wales under 20 squad fly half from Worcester)

On a side note both Costello and scully are from the osprey region as are biggar sam davies and matthew morgan yet we are left with the substandard luke price playing at 10 whilst we are had to sign anscombe from the blues and pay him a £400k salary to be first choice . Terrific stuff from our previous management / recruitment people
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by Twist »

Was there a realistic alternative to Mike Ruddock? Id have thought theyd be very keen to keep him on
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dragons 25-37 Benetton
BP for Benetton. Keatley got 20pts and MOTM, McKinley came on late.
Leinster are only 2 points away from securing a Heino spot for next season.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Twist wrote:Was there a realistic alternative to Mike Ruddock? Id have thought theyd be very keen to keep him on
Not really, the worry was that he would move back to Dublin rather than us not want him to stay

The rumors are he will do another 12 months, Booth will then take his place as dor and the yet to be appointed attack coach will become head coach (peel is the strong favourite)

The most annoying thing is we left it to get this bad before we brought Ruddock in and he has made more sensible choices in 2 months then millward and co managed in 2 years ah well better late than never

Looks like the pro 14 is all but over with the Italy situation and the irish ban on gatherings over 500. You were well on the way to the first perfect season in pro 14 history!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Season is over for Domestic Rugby. Pro 14 cannot be far behind.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/irfu-concl ... te-effect/
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ospreys: Sports marketing group takes 75.1% stake in 'multi-million pound' takeover deal
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/52648547
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ospreys: Sports marketing group takes 75.1% stake in 'multi-million pound' takeover deal
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

blockhead wrote:Ospreys: Sports marketing group takes 75.1% stake in 'multi-million pound' takeover deal
wohooo we are in the money, new stadium and new players incoming

The "galactico " era is back again :D

In all honesty I have no clue who these people are or what they intend for the region

They could be the best thing to happen to the ospreys are the worst

No one saw this coming or knew anything about it

So fingers crossed it all works out well
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

JB1973 wrote:
the ospreys are the worst
I think we can all agree on some things :wink:

(didn't even need to edit anything)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

JB1973 wrote:
blockhead wrote:Ospreys: Sports marketing group takes 75.1% stake in 'multi-million pound' takeover deal

In all honesty I have no clue who these people are or what they intend for the region

Lots of questions why an Asian enterprise would invest money in a struggling franchise in a small market in a sport that is very under the radar on that side of the world. Very odd.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

They want the CVC cash. Then bye bye.
I have Bumbleflex
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

hugonaut wrote:
JB1973 wrote:

Lots of questions why an Asian enterprise would invest money in a struggling franchise in a small market in a sport that is very under the radar on that side of the world. Very odd.

One of the lead guys father is an ex Swansea rfc man, scored a try vs the aussies in a drawn fixture back in the 70s

Hopefully there is some sort of sentimental tie in and he is coming back to save the region and we are not going to get fleeced but knowing our luck we are about to get shafted :lol: :lol:
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

THe website of Kangs company.....

https://www.celadonpartners.com/news
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

https://www.dai-sport.com/new-ospreys-o ... t-to-boom/

Interesting comments about the future of the game , not sure what the story is with these guys but they have paid in the region of £4,000,000 to get control of the region so they can't be that skint

Hopefully they'll chuck a few quid in and well see a much improved team, lots of people convinced they have bought to flip it at a profit later on and all they will do is the bare minimum to just prop it up until that happens

Only time will tell
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

JB1973 wrote:https://www.dai-sport.com/new-ospreys-o ... t-to-boom/

Interesting comments about the future of the game , not sure what the story is with these guys but they have paid in the region of £4,000,000 to get control of the region so they can't be that skint

Hopefully they'll chuck a few quid in and well see a much improved team, lots of people convinced they have bought to flip it at a profit later on and all they will do is the bare minimum to just prop it up until that happens

Only time will tell
“International rugby has been the noose around the neck of the club game, which is the total reverse to football, because it remains the cash cow and we fully understand it is vital to everyone’s survival.”

What an insane analogy. How can a noose around your neck be vital to survival?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote:
“International rugby has been the noose around the neck of the club game, which is the total reverse to football, because it remains the cash cow and we fully understand it is vital to everyone’s survival.”

Jim Hacker MP wrote:Bernard, this government is here to govern, not merely preside like our predecessors did. When a country is going downhill, it is time for someone to get into the driving seat, and put his foot on the accelerator.
I have Bumbleflex
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

hugonaut wrote:
JB1973 wrote:https://www.dai-sport.com/new-ospreys-o ... t-to-boom/

Only time will tell

That bit puzzled me , not sure what they are basing this mass upsurge in commercial incomes for rugby on especially in the middle of a world wide recession
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Jim Hacker MP wrote:Bernard, this government is here to govern, not merely preside like our predecessors did. When a country is going downhill, it is time for someone to get into the driving seat, and put his foot on the accelerator.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

some movement in wales, dragons centre tyler morgan has gone to the scarlets, jonny Williams from Newcastle is also expected to sign as is tigers 8 Sione Kalamafoni.

Cory hill has moved from the dragons to the blues, and Jonah holmes from the tigers is set to sign for the dragons with nick Tompkins also due to sign for the dragons on a 1 year loan deal

Ospreys linked with toby felatau subject to Bath getting a replacement in for him
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Tompkins, Tomane, Holmes seem like good signings for Dragons.

Hill a big loss though.