Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by blockhead »

Glasgow Warriors v Scarlets (19:45)
Glasgow
15 Hogg; 14 Seymour , 13 Grigg , 12 Johnson , 11 van der Merwe; 10 Russell, 9 G.Horne; 1 Bhatti, 2 Brown, 3 Z.Fagerson, 4 Swinson, 5 Gray ; 6 M.Fagerson , 7 Gibbins , 8 Wilson (C)
Replacements
16 Turner, 17 Allan, 18 Halanukonuka, 19 Harley, 20 Fusaro, 21 Pyrgos, 22 P.Horne , 23 Jackson

Scarlets
15 McNicholl; 14 Prydie, 13 Williams, 12 Parkes, 11 S.Evans, 10 Patchell, 9 G.Davies; 1 R.Evans, 2 Owens (C), 3 Lee, 4 Beirne, 5 Cummins, 6 Shingler, 7 J.Davies, 8 Barclay
Replacements
16 Elias, 17 W.Jones, 18 Kruger, 19 Rawlins, 20 Boyde, 21 J.Evans, 22 D.Jones, 23 Hughes
McNicholl back!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Glasgow obviously using Leinster's performance in last year's SF as a template.
Shocking from them.
Dont Panic!
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

It's hard to reconcile this Scarlets team with the one we met in Europe
Summer is ready when you are

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Finn Russell is playing like a drain
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Eve wrote:It's hard to reconcile this Scarlets team with the one we met in Europe
I dunno, they're vulnerable around the ruck. Glasgow have made a good bit of ground that way but there ball retention is poor.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:Finn Russell is playing like a drain
Drains everywhere are embittered by that comparrisson
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Finn Russell is playing like a drain
Drains everywhere are embittered by that comparrisson
I'd accept their anger alright!
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

John Barclay off and in a moon boot so will be out for next week.

McNicholl playing really well. He's a huge plus for them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

That was clearly on the line and the ruck was over.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

What the bets, the Glasgow fans are going to complain like hell about Lacey?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote:That was clearly on the line and the ruck was over.
Disagree. I think he got that right.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

paddyor wrote:What the bets, the Glasgow fans are going to complain like hell about Lacey?
thought he was dreadful at stages. Some of the calls were beyond confusing.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote:That was clearly on the line and the ruck was over.
I thought so too. The tip of the ball was on the line when he touched it. TMO should have had a closer look, dismissed it too soon. Made no difference anyways.
The Pro14 Scarlets is a different beast than the Euro version, as DC might say.
Scarlets will be hard to beat in the Aviva, especially if they play Munster.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Glasgow started the season like a train but they look like they're drained of energy lately. Might be a lesson for Rennie in that the northern hemisphere season is a marathon not a sprint. There was talk earlier in the season about Rennie wanting to make Glasgow even fitter than they were so that could be coming back to bite them now.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dropkick wrote:Glasgow started the season like a train but they look like they're drained of energy lately. Might be a lesson for Rennie in that the northern hemisphere season is a marathon not a sprint. There was talk earlier in the season about Rennie wanting to make Glasgow even fitter than they were so that could be coming back to bite them now.
Or maybe the return comes next season.

Lancaster runs very high intensity training and 1st year we faded at the end but outlasted Racing this year.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Logorrhea wrote:
paddyor wrote:What the bets, the Glasgow fans are going to complain like hell about Lacey?
thought he was dreadful at stages. Some of the calls were beyond confusing.
Well I missed about 30 mins of the game, so maybe. But from what I saw he was generally right. It's hard to take them seriously when they boo every decision that goes against them. They're a bit ridiculous. 3-28 down at home in a SF, trust me, it's not the ref.

This isn't the Glasgow side that made it to 2 Pro12 finals and won one. They've never repalced Nakarawa(massive creative player for them) and Strauss(who might not be all that at test level but is good enough at this level). I said it before that I thought Edinburgh had potentially a better pack than them and now I think next year they'll over take them as the best Scottish side. So if we win tomorrow, that puts Glasgow in our conf next year?
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

dropkick wrote:Glasgow started the season like a train but they look like they're drained of energy lately. Might be a lesson for Rennie in that the northern hemisphere season is a marathon not a sprint. There was talk earlier in the season about Rennie wanting to make Glasgow even fitter than they were so that could be coming back to bite them now.
There was an interview with Nick Kennedy after he left LI. He was talking about how some Kiwi coaches come in with a great rep(Tom Coventry) but it's based on working with great players in the Kiwi system(This isn't intended as a slight on Glasgow players but the 4th bottome team from the Soup makes it to the playoffs in it's first season, well). From what I saw, fitness wasn't an issue (and this was true earlier in the season too - when we hockeyed them twice). I think the pack is a bit soft.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Apparently, one of the Scarlets players in a post match interview said that "they were looking to have another crack at Leinster next week...............or Munster" quickly correcting himself. :lol:
Something else to stick up on the wall.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Glasgow have been found wanting as regards physicality all season when it really mattered. By all accounts Rennie has the forwards conditioned to play fast, skills-based rugby. It's admirable that they'd favour that style but he'll probably have to go away and reassess what's required in the European game.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Firstly Lacey was beyond awful tonight but that's not why we lost the game.

We've gone backwards at a rate of knots since the season began. Yea Rennie has arrived with this fabulous reputation but it remains to be seen what he's actually done with us. That should have been the easiest half time team talk in history- we're getting humped at home in a semi final. Stop being so fecking passive and actually have some line speed and more importantly make some tackles!!! Yet, what happened? We were even more passive in the second half!!! The first half should not be acceptable for any group of players. To not improve in the second in just criminal (I know we scored points in the second half but that's not the point).

Best thing Glasgow can do over the summer is get in a decent forwards coach as our pack have gone from being competitive to being complete lightweights.

I don't know why anyone is surprised at tonight's game- the same thing has happened against every semi decent side we've played this season. Enraged doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about it!

I hope Leinster go on and do a double this year.