Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by sunshiner1 »

by johng

It would be like Cork Con and Clontarf wanting to play in the premiership.

How would the IRFU feel about that?
You mean if a Billionaire told the IRFU he wants to set up a fifth avenue for Irish Players to have a pathway into professionalism? I'm sure they'd hate it
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Didn't SA Rugby sign off on the Kings and Cheetahs joining the Pro12?
Yes but that was a concerted effort by the Union to have a foot in both camps (NH and SH).
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Well they'd get the chance to ring fence the Premiership which would then mean they could cut the funding below it even further. From a PR POV it also gives them the chance to say that they didn't want to do it but LI wanted out and the rest of the GP stakeholders agreed so they had little choice.

They don't have to do that, but it's nonsense to suggest it would be an automatic no.
I ask again why would the Union want to do a solid for the PRL who's stated aim is to take over the Unions primary competition (6N)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by johng

It would be like Cork Con and Clontarf wanting to play in the premiership.

How would the IRFU feel about that?
You mean if a Billionaire told the IRFU he wants to set up a fifth avenue for Irish Players to have a pathway into professionalism? I'm sure they'd hate it
While that might be how a billionaire tried to SELL it to the IRFU.........
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

johng wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Didn't SA Rugby sign off on the Kings and Cheetahs joining the Pro12?
Yes but that was a concerted effort by the Union to have a foot in both camps (NH and SH).
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Well they'd get the chance to ring fence the Premiership which would then mean they could cut the funding below it even further. From a PR POV it also gives them the chance to say that they didn't want to do it but LI wanted out and the rest of the GP stakeholders agreed so they had little choice.

They don't have to do that, but it's nonsense to suggest it would be an automatic no.
I ask again why would the Union want to do a solid for the PRL who's stated aim is to take over the Unions primary competition (6N)
Because it's not about doing a solid for someone, it also helps them because they want to get rid of relegation too but have more of an obligation to the wider rugby public and are in a sticky situation. It's inevitable though and cutting the funding last week is one step towards it. It's basically like the IRFU considering getting rid of Connacht back in the day. It didn't happen in the end but they were certainly open to it because it made sense financially. Had Connacht gone to them and said they wanted to join another league I'm sure the IRFU would have jumped at it.

And I don't think that's true about SA Rugby. SANZAAR wanted to reduce the teams in Super Rugby and SA Rugby didn't have much money. The teams didn't want to fold so looked elsewhere and the Pro12 wanted to expand. It wasn't a strategic decision by SA Rugby to take them out of that comp and look towards Europe.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: And I don't think that's true about SA Rugby. SANZAAR wanted to reduce the teams in Super Rugby and SA Rugby didn't have much money. The teams didn't want to fold so looked elsewhere and the Pro12 wanted to expand. It wasn't a strategic decision by SA Rugby to take them out of that comp and look towards Europe.
Well that is definitely true. Which is why there was unseemly haste in us going to 14 teams.

Perhaps it was Super Rugby culling SA sides that led to the re focus by their Union or perhaps they were thinking of it anyway. I don't know. But they have stated since that they want to have 4 teams in both comps.

There is even talk about them joining the 6N. Which of course may be just that. Talk.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Why would there be such haste in making something happen that was part of a grand plan? Why would they announce they were cut from Super Rugby without confirming that they were going to the Pro12? The Pro12 even had to delay announcing the fixtures IIRC. The situation looks to be different now, but they were lost at sea and we rescued them.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Like I said, I've no issue with you thinking that the RFU would be against it, but it's the idea that there would be no chance of them letting LI go and they wouldn't even consider it that I take issue with. It's moot anyway because it's not like there are any rumours about LI, it's purely my own thought that it would be a great idea for them and work out for a lot of people.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The unseemly haste because they would have had difficulty keeping the teams together for another season without somewhere to play.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's odd that they sold their stake in the Kings and don't own the Cheetahs either if they wanted a foothold up here.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The RFU should join the pro14 and start new teams or invite premier teams to make the move with them but under their umbrella.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

That little battle within a battle, Leinster at home to Cheetahs and away to Ospreys the following week with Ulster playing those game in reverse order.
Well that worked out well for us.
9 points for Big Blue and only 5 for the wildlings. So now we have a 15pt advantage.
We are also one try short of averaging 5 tries/game.
Ave score 35-13.
No doubt there will be some people that view this as a sign that the PRO14 is an inferior competition to the amazing English Premiership, but believe me, these people never get laid.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote:That little battle within a battle, Leinster at home to Cheetahs and away to Ospreys the following week with Ulster playing those game in reverse order.
9 points for Big Blue and only 5 for the wildlings. So now we have a 15pt advantage.
Ave score 35-13.
No doubt there will be some people that view this as a sign that the PRO14 is an inferior competition to the amazing English Premiership, but believe me, these people never get laid.
But have we now qualified for the Play-offs?
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0223 ... us-spread/

From the above article.

A dozen towns in the northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto have been effectively quarantined under the emergency plan.

Treviso and Zebre are both based in these regions. With the Italian v Scotland game cancelled today will cancelled matches have an impact on fixtures in the Pro 12.

As Munster were in Lombardy on Friday will they have to go into a quarantine period?

Will the Italian National team be allowed to go home to northern Italy? If they do will this impact the 6 Nations match in 2 weeks?

Before we joke about it remember 2 people are dead in Italy from the virus.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

IanD wrote:https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0223 ... us-spread/

From the above article.

A dozen towns in the northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto have been effectively quarantined under the emergency plan.

Treviso and Zebre are both based in these regions. With the Italian v Scotland game cancelled today will cancelled matches have an impact on fixtures in the Pro 12.

As Munster were in Lombardy on Friday will they have to go into a quarantine period?

Will the Italian National team be allowed to go home to northern Italy? If they do will this impact the 6 Nations match in 2 weeks?

Before we joke about it remember 2 people are dead in Italy from the virus.
It doesn't sound like the Italian quarantine measures are that thought through yet. Definitely serious stuff.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Zebre v Ospreys and Benetton v Ulster are postponed.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

CVC in advanced talks in South Africa about adding at least one more South African club side to the Pro14
CVC also wants “Club World Cup”, involving the best sides on the planet
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
blockhead wrote:That little battle within a battle, Leinster at home to Cheetahs and away to Ospreys the following week with Ulster playing those game in reverse order.
Ave score 35-13.
But have we now qualified for the Play-offs?
No.
A bit away from that.
Although 13 more points will secure us Heino action for next season.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Some Welsh Pro 14 news. Liam Williams back at Scarlets with immediate effect and Toby Booth new Ospreys head coach.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

neill_m wrote:Some Welsh Pro 14 news. Liam Williams back at Scarlets with immediate effect and Toby Booth new Ospreys head coach.
Scarlets could be dangerous if they make the play offs, patchell and james davies are due back shortly and liam Williams signing gives them another very good player

Edinburgh are going well at the moment, and I could see them topping their conference. Like him or not cockerill has done a very good there
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

PRO14 Rugby will remain in frequent contact with the CMOs of our participating unions to remain fully informed of the conditions in each territory.
Beyond the two postponements this weekend, all scheduled Guinness PRO14 fixtures are set to go ahead – including the refixed Round 11 game between Dragons and Benetton Rugby on March 6.
A process has already begun to find alternative dates for this weekend’s postponed fixtures involving Zebre Rugby Club v Ospreys and Benetton Rugby v Ulster Rugby.
In the event that any future games are postponed and no alternative dates can be found to ensure the fixture is fulfilled, the board of Celtic Rugby DAC has agreed that both teams will be awarded two match points and the game will be deemed a 0-0 draw.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Frans Steyn joining Cheetahs for next season.