Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by neill_m »

Confirmation of no change to the conferences for season 18/19

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/07/24/e ... 14-season/
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

PRO14 Rugby has increased its Free-To-Air offering in Wales with S4C securing rights to continue screening the Guinness PRO14 and the Welsh regions until 2021.

One game per round from the Guinness PRO14 will be screened by S4C, ensuring that Welsh language commentary remains a part of the Championship’s coverage. The games, which will be produced by BBC Wales, will also be broadcast live on television and online via the new-look S4C Clic service.

Of the 21 games, 17 will be simulcast live in conjunction with primary-rights holder Premier Sports with a further four games (all Welsh derbies) screened on delayed coverage.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Have TG4 managed to hold onto any live broadcast rights?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Have TG4 managed to hold onto any live broadcast rights?
Yeah they're down for about 20 games. Broadcasters up to round 17 have been announced.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Have TG4 managed to hold onto any live broadcast rights?
Yes. Sub licence from Eir Sports allowing them broadcast 21 regular season games for next 3 years.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Scarlets are taking things to a new level with 18 sponsors on their kit.

Anyone But New Zealand
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Looks ridiculous. Would be interesting to know how much more they make by divvying their sponsors up rather than having 1 main sponsor
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Laighin Break wrote:Looks ridiculous. Would be interesting to know how much more they make by divvying their sponsors up rather than having 1 main sponsor
Apparently the philosophy is they have lots of local companies instead of a single big name. Nice thought, ugly execution
Anyone But New Zealand
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Laighin Break wrote:Looks ridiculous. Would be interesting to know how much more they make by divvying their sponsors up rather than having 1 main sponsor
18 different sponsors. Apparently has increased the commercial value of it by 70%.

It is very Top 14.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

neill_m wrote:
18 different sponsors. Apparently has increased the commercial value of it by 70%.

It is very Top 14.
Are the subs going to have to wear sandwich boards?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I can't believe they left the socks alone missed opportunity there, plus mandatory scrum caps added sponsor opportunity there, very short sighted really
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

FLIP wrote:
Apparently the philosophy is they have lots of local companies instead of a single big name. Nice thought, ugly execution
I've never had a problem with the Nascar/billboard type of jersey – I guess I'm in the minority on that one. I've an old Benetton Treviso jersey [a long sleeve cotton one] from the late 90s/early 2000s which is plastered with ads and I love it!

If it's true that Scarlets are getting more money and the companies feel that they're getting their money's worth [and that it allows smaller, local companies to sponsor the team], then I think it's a win-win.

Compared to some very unfortunate people – tracker mortgage scandal victims, in particular – I've had no bad blood with Bank of Ireland, but I feel no warmth for them whatsoever. Yeah they've sponsored Leinster for 10 years, but they sponsor Munster [and Ulster] too. They've a big sponsorship budget set aside that doesn't come out of anybody's pocket in particular, and they cover their bases by sponsoring two of our rivals. I don't really see that as 'backing' Leinster, and as such don't feel any sort of favour towards them. Interested in what other people's thoughts are on the subject.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yep I'd agree with that. They also don't activate it very well, compared to say O2 did back in the day or AIB do with GAA.

The 'sponsor for a day' thing is probably the best thing they've done, but that's for businesses rather than fans.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Yep I'd agree with that. They also don't activate it very well, compared to say O2 did back in the day or AIB do with GAA.

The 'sponsor for a day' thing is probably the best thing they've done, but that's for businesses rather than fans.
BoI consistently want to sponsor us and it makes Mick Dawson's life a lot easier to have one main sponsor providing a single pot of money rather than 10-15 smaller sponsors putting in separate contributions.

But if the Scarlets multi-sponsorship jersey deal really has increased sponsorship value by 70% [source: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... n-14931790 ] – and I'd be a bit sceptical of that figure – then it's something to be investigated in earnest.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I’m guessing that BOI reckon they get better value giving money to 3 provinces than directly to the IRFU.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Pro14 Final will be in Glasgow at Celtic Park this year.
Anyone But New Zealand
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

FLIP wrote:Image

Excellent stuff.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

FLIP wrote:Image

Scheduled for same day as the Scottish Cup final at Hampden.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Celtic have won the last 2 Scottish Cups so you'd imagine that if they get through again, planes from Ireland will be full and hotels tricky. If they happen to meet Rangers, which hasn't happened for a good while, I'd imagine that the pubs in Glasgow will be an interesting experience....

2 Years ago, getting to Edinburgh was a bloody nightmare because of the marathon, I'm not sure Scottish cities are set up for 2 major events on the same day.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Flash Gordon wrote:Celtic have won the last 2 Scottish Cups so you'd imagine that if they get through again, planes from Ireland will be full and hotels tricky. If they happen to meet Rangers, which hasn't happened for a good while, I'd imagine that the pubs in Glasgow will be an interesting experience....

2 Years ago, getting to Edinburgh was a bloody nightmare because of the marathon, I'm not sure Scottish cities are set up for 2 major events on the same day.
If it's a Celtic v Rangers final ko will be 12pm for a start. There will be no issue with pubs rugby fans (or non football regulars) will be frequenting.