Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:What about €1.75m for each of the next four Seasons for each Province?
what about funding them as per usual because this isn't extra money, then, if CVC do manage to increase revenue, divide THAT up
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:What about €1.75m for each of the next four Seasons for each Province?
what about funding them as per usual because this isn't extra money, then, if CVC do manage to increase revenue, divide THAT up
Naturally. And if signing 2 RWC winners is something you would have done anyway then all the better
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Oldschool wrote:
blockhead wrote:
dropkick wrote: If the rumours are true the irfu could be getting about €85m from both CVC deals (pro14 and 6 nations). Its a big injection of cash but raises the question of what should be done with it.
I suppose the aviva could be expanded. That would be a good investment and more than cover rising costs for a long time to come.
Dropkick, do you not remember the saga that was the rebuilding of the Aviva. The locals wanted the stadium gone, or at least at reduced capacity. The soccer games had a 33k capacity in the old LR (thanks to Liverpool FC fans (Heysel)) and I think they wanted to keep that for both codes. Hence we have a 3/4 stadium. €85m wouldn't get the irfu through the planning process.
If it was deemed necessary infrastructure it would go true the fast track process presumably. Big if mind you.
They should hire Brendan Mullins as their legal advisor.
The IRFU should have (maybe they are) be buying up those properties any time they come on the market.
Take the long view.

I read an article a while back that said the irfu have already bought some some of the properties. How true it is I don't know but I thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion. IF they could add in an extra 20,000 seats or thereabouts it would generate a lot of money per year so it's a good investment.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

dropkick wrote: I read an article a while back that said the irfu have already bought some some of the properties. How true it is I don't know but I thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion. IF they could add in an extra 20,000 seats or thereabouts it would generate a lot of money per year so it's a good investment.
I thought they owned all but a few of them
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The Doc wrote:
dropkick wrote: I read an article a while back that said the irfu have already bought some some of the properties. How true it is I don't know but I thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion. IF they could add in an extra 20,000 seats or thereabouts it would generate a lot of money per year so it's a good investment.
I thought they owned all but a few of them

That's what I read too. If that is the case then they're planning the upgrade. I think they've also bought some FAI shares in the stadium company.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

BBC News - Ospreys: Allen Clarke leaves head coach role
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50562693
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

IanD wrote:BBC News - Ospreys: Allen Clarke leaves head coach role
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50562693
What an effin mess.
Wonder what Joe could do there?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Someone jumped the gun in announcing he was sacked.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

paddyor wrote:Image
Someone jumped the gun in announcing he was sacked.
Can someone explain to me wtf the WRU do with all their money?
They have way more revenue than the IRFU for example, about E15-20M ish a season more than us.
Could they not sort out the Osprey's, 2nd most successful team in Pro14 history after ourselves.
We saw briefly what success brought Scarlets, big increase in attendances with some full houses on Heino nights. The Welsh will hop on that bandwagon too, not as quickly as us but still.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Many Welsh Clubs play semi-pro rugby in Div 1 of the Swalec League. WRU support these Clubs as it from here that Welsh Committee members are elected.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

They also prioritised paying off the debt on the Millennium Stadium over the last decade. The owners of the regions were also in a massive shitfest with the WRU for many years so when other countries' clubs and provinces were increasing their salary cost the Welsh regions contracted their's.

I'd also imagine that the regions themselves generate less money than the provinces. Smaller crowds paying less on average than here for tickets, fewer blue-chip companies for sponsorship etc.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

Whilst we all have our gripes and criticism of the IRFU but there is no doubt that they made a better job of “ the Professional Era “ than either the WRU or the SRU The role and strength of the Provincial Branches must also be recognised and I suppose we were lucky that we had a strong competitive basis in the 4 Provinces is a no brainier even for The IRFU.
Don't forget that although Leinster are striving for a fifth star it was Ulster initial Irish victory at Lansdowne in 1999 put the provinces on the world stage.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Aird wrote:Whilst we all have our gripes and criticism of the IRFU but there is no doubt that they made a better job of “ the Professional Era “ than either the WRU or the SRU The role and strength of the Provincial Branches must also be recognised and I suppose we were lucky that we had a strong competitive basis in the 4 Provinces is a no brainier even for The IRFU.
Don't forget that although Leinster are striving for a fifth star it was Ulster initial Irish victory at Lansdowne in 1999 put the provinces on the world stage.
Also helped that pro rugby dovetailed with initial Celtic tiger period and peace process up north so part of an overall set of positives on the island versus our near neighbours somewhat decline economically due to ongoing London centric policies.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Allen Carke not sacked by Ospreys but nor is he still in charge of rugby matters. Quote from press conference;
Has Allen Clarke left the Ospreys?
Millward: “No.”

Is he in charge of first-team rugby?

Millward: “No.”

Ospreys chairman Robert Davies: “It became a matter of personal conduct. When it’s a matter of personal conduct, it’s very difficult to comment because of the legal ramifications.

“You cannot go off piste and that’s what happened at the start of this week.

“I’ve been around a long time, it’s pretty unusual but it’s impossible to say anything other than it being a matter of personal conduct.

“Today, he is still legally an employee but he’s not in charge of rugby matters.”
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Also from Rob Davies in the same press conference:
“It’s been tough but I’ve been in a tougher place and we’ll come out of it pretty well. We were already coming out of it pretty well.

“Losing a coach is a mere blip and is not going to stop the progress we are making. With the help of the PRB and others we are making very good progress into achieving our ambition to be a highly competitive region when the British & Irish League commences.

“All the TV deals are due to expire in two years time, in the 2022 season.

“What will happen is that the CVC who already have an interest in the English league are attempting to secure the rights to the Six Nations. That discussion is well advanced.

“As you might imagine when you are dealing with the English, French, Irish and Scots and then add in the Italians and the French it’s not going to be easy to get consensus.

“But those negotiations are proceeding quite well. The timescale for that is probably the middle to the end of the autumn internationals next year.

“That will enable a different outlook towards planning towards planning a season in a better more structured way so that then you can fit in your league and Six Nations in a more orderly fashion instead of having this disjointed way that it currently is.

“That is the opportunity and that’s what makes it exciting. It will be in 2022.

“It is as certain as once you get these hedgefunds involved and there’s lots of money on the table. Something is going to happen.

“It will be nothing to do with me but I’ll vote for it.”
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

when the British & Irish League commences
WTF!
Have I missed something?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

cormac wrote:Also from Rob Davies in the same press conference:
“It’s been tough but I’ve been in a tougher place and we’ll come out of it pretty well. We were already coming out of it pretty well.

“Losing a coach is a mere blip and is not going to stop the progress we are making. With the help of the PRB and others we are making very good progress into achieving our ambition to be a highly competitive region when the British & Irish League commences.

“All the TV deals are due to expire in two years time, in the 2022 season.

“What will happen is that the CVC who already have an interest in the English league are attempting to secure the rights to the Six Nations. That discussion is well advanced.

“As you might imagine when you are dealing with the English, French, Irish and Scots and then add in the Italians and the French it’s not going to be easy to get consensus.

“But those negotiations are proceeding quite well. The timescale for that is probably the middle to the end of the autumn internationals next year.

“That will enable a different outlook towards planning towards planning a season in a better more structured way so that then you can fit in your league and Six Nations in a more orderly fashion instead of having this disjointed way that it currently is.

“That is the opportunity and that’s what makes it exciting. It will be in 2022.

“It is as certain as once you get these hedgefunds involved and there’s lots of money on the table. Something is going to happen.

“It will be nothing to do with me but I’ll vote for it.”
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Seriously though. Has this guy spilled the beans on what could be very secretive and complex negotiations about the future of European rugby?
Just to deflect attention away from the complete clusterfcuk that is Ospreys Rugby.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cheetahs win away in Ospreys and no one is suprised.
Dragons 12-39 Zebre, the Ben Ryan project is yet to take off.
5 away wins this weekend.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dean?
I have Bumbleflex