Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by fourthirtythree »

Robbie Henshaw too.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dragons v Benetton postponed due to Storm Dennis forecast. Was due to be played Sat night.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Newspapers are reporting that some of the English teams in the first division are looking to join the Pro 14. What do people think? i wouldn't be opposed to a team like Ealing coming in. They're based in London so the ex-pat population would enjoy going to see the Irish and Saffer teams playing against them and they're rich enough to be profitable. Thoughts?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

sunshiner1 wrote:Newspapers are reporting that some of the English teams in the first division are looking to join the Pro 14. What do people think? i wouldn't be opposed to a team like Ealing coming in. They're based in London so the ex-pat population would enjoy going to see the Irish and Saffer teams playing against them and they're rich enough to be profitable. Thoughts?
Pros -
A bit of Cherry picking as you suggest like Ealing.
Two teams would give 8 team conferences which would still leave room for local Derbies
This could boost the TV take.
Timing is good with the RFU budget cut leaving a few of the club's disenamoured.
It would undermine the PRL.
Cons
????
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

sunshiner1 wrote:Newspapers are reporting that some of the English teams in the first division are looking to join the Pro 14. What do people think? i wouldn't be opposed to a team like Ealing coming in. They're based in London so the ex-pat population would enjoy going to see the Irish and Saffer teams playing against them and they're rich enough to be profitable. Thoughts?
RFU would never agree to it IMO. But even if they did, they've nothing to offer. THis would be us transferring moeny to them.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Jeez I'd say London Irish would be sick if that happened. It's made sense for them to join ever since they first got relegated and if I was them I think I'd look to do it. Of course there'd be problems but I'm sure they could overcome them.

That said, I think a B&I league (potentially with SA now) is inevitable so maybe there's no point looking to change anything.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Jeez I'd say London Irish would be sick if that happened. It's made sense for them to join ever since they first got relegated and if I was them I think I'd look to do it. Of course there'd be problems but I'm sure they could overcome them.

That said, I think a B&I league (potentially with SA now) is inevitable so maybe there's no point looking to change anything.
Don't LI have their golden shares in the premiership? Might there be an issue with this income and them moving to another league? (I have no idea whether this is a problem)
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The English RFU would never sanction any club playing in a foreign league unless all of them were
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

johng wrote:The English RFU would never sanction any club playing in a foreign league unless all of them were
I agree that the RFU would kill the move, but I was more thinking about a club taking income from another league and how that might pan out.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

johng wrote:The English RFU would never sanction any club playing in a foreign league unless all of them were
I never get this argument. What influence does the RFU have and what would they have against it? My feeling is that the academy would be the big issue and obviously that is a very big one for both the RFU and LI, but other than that? It's a different kettle of fish when talking about the Championship teams though alright, don't see how that's feasible.

I'd say Premiership Rugby would be over the moon to get rid of their 13th member and ring-fence the other 12 clubs. It's the perfect time as well considering the Saracens situation.

I think it makes sense for all concerned and it's the perfect storm really.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Most eventualities are covered in here.

https://www.world.rugby/handbook/regula ... 4/?lang=en

I cannot think of an example of a pro club anywhere playing in a comp that is not sanctioned by their union.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Jeez I'd say London Irish would be sick if that happened. It's made sense for them to join ever since they first got relegated and if I was them I think I'd look to do it. Of course there'd be problems but I'm sure they could overcome them.

About the only thing that's inevitable about a B&I league is its' lack of inevitability.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

johng wrote:Most eventualities are covered in here.

https://www.world.rugby/handbook/regula ... 4/?lang=en

I cannot think of an example of a pro club anywhere playing in a comp that is not sanctioned by their union.
Sorry but that doesn't answer my question, why wouldn't they sanction it?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Why would they? What do they get out of it?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

johng wrote:Why would they? What do they get out of it?
Sorry but if you're saying there's no way they'd do it then the onus is on you to say why.

But as I said this would solve a problem in regard to relegation. If LI and Prem Rugby said they wanted it then I can't see why the RFU would say no.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

There are rules for discussing stuff on the internet?

It would be like Cork Con and Clontarf wanting to play in the premiership.

How would the IRFU feel about that?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ah come on, if you're saying that there's no way someone would do something then you have to have at least one good reason why you think that. It's not much to ask to actually provide it.

Like I said, there would be issues to overcome, but I can't understand why it would possibly be an automatic no given that it solves such a big issue.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It would be a massive loss of face for the bigest and richest union on the planet. Being the first union in the world to have one of their clubs playing in a comp controled by other unions. What do they get for that? Why would the RFU give a chyte about solving a problem for the Prem? None of it makes any sense to me.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Didn't SA Rugby sign off on the Kings and Cheetahs joining the Pro12?

Well they'd get the chance to ring fence the Premiership which would then mean they could cut the funding below it even further. From a PR POV it also gives them the chance to say that they didn't want to do it but LI wanted out and the rest of the GP stakeholders agreed so they had little choice.

They don't have to do that, but it's nonsense to suggest it would be an automatic no.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Didn't SA Rugby sign off on the Kings and Cheetahs joining the Pro12?
Currie Cup had Namibian team 2016/2017, Jaguares XV in 2019 and are scheduled to have a Georgian team this year.

SA seem to have the most lateral thinking on this issue.