Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
If TV is the paymaster of NH rugby, we should all be aware of the turmoil going on in the major Networks as technology changes and bored couch potatoes vote with their remotes and desert cable sports channels in droves - in every country - and download their programmes directly from the Web. Watch this space.
The reported loss by Sky Sports of the USPGA to the BBC is an interesting twist. Haven't seen much about it but did note the words "widest possible audience" in one reported comment.
A proud Winsome Fluter
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

With increased interest / focus on a Pro 14 with SA teams, it may lessen the attractiveness of the Champions Cup. When the English and French club owners killed the HCup, one threat was to walk away from European cup rugby - leaving the Celts high and dry. A successful Pro14 could really strengthen the NH Unions hands.

It may take a few ifs:
If FIR can make new zerbe more competitive
If the 2 SA teams are at a level equal to the top Pro 12 teams
If the conference system does not confuse all the fans

The Pro 14 could end up the premier rugby competition, and as Ruckedtobits said the money model is changing.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

BeIn has been a disaster in France for French rugby, Challenge Cup games on free TV are getting 10 times the viewers that Champions Cup games are
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Can't remember which thread this was discussed in recently, but I see that Leinster are now looking for a new Head of Commercial and Marketing.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Can't remember which thread this was discussed in recently, but I see that Leinster are now looking for a new Head of Commercial and Marketing.
Again?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Can't remember which thread this was discussed in recently, but I see that Leinster are now looking for a new Head of Commercial and Marketing.

Yep, the current, convservative, approach simply hasn't worked
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Yep, the current, convservative, approach simply hasn't worked
Marketing is not in a good place in Ireland given the run up to 2008 laziness and the fact that funding got axed post 2008. It's governed by fear in terms of the work that's produced which is often functional and dull and in terms of the investment. Businesses are being run by financial directors and marketing is seen as a cost whereas in reality on the brands I've worked on I know that if I invest €1 I get €10-12 back.

The worst thing I can say about Leinster's marketing is that I haven't really noticed it's happening!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

Another rumour he picked up from SA blogs is no PRO14 games in S Africa during Dec and Jan

Various suggestions as to why, include:
1. High-season travel & Hotel costs - Squads and travellers - in SA;
2. Climatic conditions excessive for NH players, especially in Bloomfontein;
3. Logical for both SA teams to base themselves in NH for a block of (away) games, max 5 weeks, due to combination of reduced travel risks, getting familiarity with ground conditions, building up fan base in NH, etc.

All sounds pretty logical IMO. Really looking forward to seeing the details as it sounds like a lot of fundamentals have been reviewed from the perspective of the learnings through Super Rugby re travel, climatic differences, kick-off times, seasonal variations etc.
This ties in with what I had originally heard was discussed at Club meetings.
14 team full league with say Leinster and Ulster going to SA and playing both SA sides on consecutive weekends then during their summer they would head over here and play a mini tour of the Irish sides and perhaps also the Scots or Italians. The conference system chucks that all on its head though as you would have one side in your conference and then a 50:50 chance the other will be an away match.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Zebre might be a mess at the moment but Treviso have a good squad available next season. If they can change their attitude they might have a decent season.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benetton_ ... rent_squad
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

make of this what you will but Kings seem to have lost 5 starters already (in announced transfers)
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

simonokeeffe wrote:make of this what you will but Kings seem to have lost 5 starters already (in announced transfers)
And at least one of their coaches.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Does this also mean the end of the "Destination Final" for the league? Especially with the (currently far fetched) talk of even further expansion..
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dexter wrote:Does this also mean the end of the "Destination Final" for the league? Especially with the (currently far fetched) talk of even further expansion..
Id say it entrenches it due to increased chance of no away fans. Just they wont rotate it
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Not to be overly cynical but thats largely a doddle of a group
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dexter wrote:Does this also mean the end of the "Destination Final" for the league? Especially with the (currently far fetched) talk of even further expansion..
Id say it entrenches it due to increased chance of no away fans. Just they wont rotate it
You think? As long as it's in always in LR that's fine.. otherwise its a pile of poo.
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dexter wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
You think? As long as it's in always in LR that's fine.. otherwise its a pile of poo.
Yeah they dont want a final in SA at all and are still relying on one Irish team in any final to fill the ground, no offence to the prospects of an all Welsh final
Italians might get screwed over as usual
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Conference idea is awful. For the multitudes that aren't massive fans, it's too complicated. People just want to know that their team is first or fifth or second last or whatever.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

CiaranIrl wrote:Conference idea is awful. For the multitudes that aren't massive fans, it's too complicated. People just want to know that their team is first or fifth or second last or whatever.

People have no complaints about the champions cup with its 5 groups of 6 teams. This is far easier to understand.

Not to mention I never heard much complaining about the extremely unfair draw for the semi finals in the Heineken cup.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

dropkick wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Conference idea is awful. For the multitudes that aren't massive fans, it's too complicated. People just want to know that their team is first or fifth or second last or whatever.

People have no complaints about the champions cup with its 5 groups of 6 teams. This is far easier to understand.

Not to mention I never heard much complaining about the extremely unfair draw for the semi finals in the Heineken cup.
Totally different to a conference system though as a league. The European pool system is more or less knockout rugby from the first match