Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:I'd love to see Matawalu back in the league, absolute nutter that he is. The worst passing 9 and the best passing 9 ever!
I hate him, he'll dive and feign injury one minute then cheap shot somebody the next, throw tantrums looking for cards etc
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

simonokeeffe wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I'd love to see Matawalu back in the league, absolute nutter that he is. The worst passing 9 and the best passing 9 ever!
I hate him, he'll dive and feign injury one minute then cheap shot somebody the next, throw tantrums looking for cards etc
He's no worse than any other player for that. Niko v Cian Healy is one that stands out.

More importantly he will cause chaos for the other 29 players on the pitch. Although given he's 4th choice 9 we're unlikely to see him there. On the wing he's less involved and there's chat he will cover fb.

Now, if only we can have our other FijiWeegie home....
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

kermischocolate wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
He's no worse than any other player for that. Niko v Cian Healy is one that stands out.

More importantly he will cause chaos for the other 29 players on the pitch. Although given he's 4th choice 9 we're unlikely to see him there. On the wing he's less involved and there's chat he will cover fb.

Now, if only we can have our other FijiWeegie home....
He mightnt be the worst for cheap shots but hes up there with Parra for diving/faking injury
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

If he is still as dumb as mud im delighted to see him back on opposition teamsheets. Never forget his attempt to tap a peno in front of the posts, last min, at the rds when all they needed was 2pts for the win.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cummiskys (don't care if its spelt right) article in the IT this morning is so very predictable. Being negative about the Pro14 is "cool" apparently.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

blockhead wrote:Cummiskys (don't care if its spelt right) article in the IT this morning is so very predictable. Being negative about the Pro14 is "cool" apparently.
I didn't find too much to get annoyed with, he offered contrary views and criticisms which is needed, until the last line. That was a dick move. I assume from reading it that he is, in fact, a dick because that was the bit where he was being clever and funny without actually being either.

I think most supporters are suspicious and worried. From the article though Anayi came across as clued in. I read a less cynical take of than the Irish backs have chosen in, of all places, the Grauniad, yesterday. The commercial imperative does t sit well with many Irish people.
Last edited by fourthirtythree on September 1st, 2017, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

blockhead wrote:Cummiskys (don't care if its spelt right) article in the IT this morning is so very predictable. Being negative about the Pro14 is "cool" apparently.
So he's at it again now. Is it too much to ask for some enthusiasm from the media? It's like they want the league to fail!
Dont Panic!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dexter wrote:
So he's at it again now. Is it too much to ask for some enthusiasm from the media? It's like they want the league to fail!
Every other event where an Irish team finds success, gets a band wagon that the media lubricates generously. What the fock is the problem with the media? The pro14 marketing is a major problem, those journos need junkets and champagne.
Daniel Sullivan
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Peg Leg wrote:
Dexter wrote:
Every other event where an Irish team finds success, gets a band wagon that the media lubricates generously. What the fock is the problem with the media? The pro14 marketing is a major problem, those journos need junkets and champagne.
Do you mean why do some people have a problem with the media view ...or.. why do the media have a problem with the league?
Dont Panic!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't mind a journalist being negative about the league, it's not their job to cheer lead and plenty of people on here/elsewhere are negative about the expansion and various other issues with the league. Honesty is a good thing IMO.

What I don't like...is that Cummiskey is a terrible writer with a chip on his shoulder and seems to detest his job. Some of his articles are genuinely hard to comprehend and why does he not go into detail about the Marty Banks deal? I'm left none the wiser as to what happened there. Like I said, criticism is fine but the last couple of lines come across like he's sniping at his editor for making him write the article more so than just being critical of the league. It reminds me of guys in school who hated homework and would make a token snarky effort just to have it done.

I will say that he comes across much better on the radio. I don't agree with anything he says but at least he seems to care.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

According to Owen Slot in today's Times, two more South African teams are also interested in making the transition to European rugby.
It's said that both the Lions, based in Johannesburg, and the Sharks, based in Durban, have both written to their governing body expressing an interest in following their trailblazing fellow South African teams north. Exactly where they would play is another matter. It seems unlikely that the English Premiership or Top 14 would accommodate them
https://www.balls.ie/rugby/pro14-furthe ... ion-372634

Lets see how the first 2 get on eh!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dexter wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Dexter wrote: So he's at it again now. Is it too much to ask for some enthusiasm from the media? It's like they want the league to fail!
Do you mean why do some people have a problem with the media view ...or.. why do the media have a problem with the league?
Latter v much
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I don't mind a journalist being negative about the league, it's not their job to cheer lead and plenty of people on here/elsewhere are negative about the expansion and various other issues with the league. Honesty is a good thing IMO.

What I don't like...is that Cummiskey is a terrible writer with a chip on his shoulder and seems to detest his job. Some of his articles are genuinely hard to comprehend and why does he not go into detail about the Marty Banks deal? I'm left none the wiser as to what happened there. Like I said, criticism is fine but the last couple of lines come across like he's sniping at his editor for making him write the article more so than just being critical of the league. It reminds me of guys in school who hated homework and would make a token snarky effort just to have it done.

I will say that he comes across much better on the radio. I don't agree with anything he says but at least he seems to care.
I do, because its the platform through which we feed our national team. Yes the set up has been flawed and runs on a shoestring. Yes its the umpteenth change in as many years but i can not wait until the current gen of journos gives way to those who have grown up only knowing the pro game.

Yes the league needs cred and should be criticised when its due, but its not due in every article.
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

For me there's a big difference between being skeptical or not wanting the South African teams to join, and his last line about the excitement being impalpable. That crosses a line because its just a terrible attitude to have for a whole host of reasons and I don't think it's reflective of how people feel about the new season. I didn't want the South African teams to join but I can't wait for the games this weekend and I don't think I'm alone in that. He goes beyond objective criticsm a lot of the time though and just resorts to being churlish. So while I don't think journalists have to cheer lead for the league, his attitude to it stinks.

And that's just taking that article in isolation. Lets not forget that he's the guy who criticised us for having a good group of travelling supporters for the Clermont game and then not for the next league game. For a start, it made zero sense, but secondly, how can he have the gall to say that when his own attitude to the league is so dismissive and he has the platform for that to reach people?

And as I've said many times before, he never offers any insight whatsoever. I just don't get what he offers.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

blockhead wrote:Just listened to WNR on newstalk. Munster got their usual 50% minimum, Connacht and Ulster the rest and we got about 15 seconds, I kid you not. We're the new Ulster.
It's what the people want
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I don't mind a journalist being negative about the league, it's not their job to cheer lead and plenty of people on here/elsewhere are negative about the expansion and various other issues with the league. Honesty is a good thing IMO.

What's annoying is that newspapers need articles and go to quality journos to sell copy and get advertising revenue in both in print and online. Where's the pull out season preview, where the in depth articles explaining the league format and giving a blow by by blow last season/key player/probable finish etc etc.

There was such a busy off season this week cried out for some quality writing, given the number of season ticket holders it'd likely have been popular at a time of year where paper is crying out for ink.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:For me there's a big difference between being skeptical or not wanting the South African teams to join, and his last line about the excitement being impalpable. That crosses a line because its just a terrible attitude to have for a whole host of reasons and I don't think it's reflective of how people feel about the new season. I didn't want the South African teams to join but I can't wait for the games this weekend and I don't think I'm alone in that. He goes beyond objective criticsm a lot of the time though and just resorts to being churlish. So while I don't think journalists have to cheer lead for the league, his attitude to it stinks.

And that's just taking that article in isolation. Lets not forget that he's the guy who criticised us for having a good group of travelling supporters for the Clermont game and then not for the next league game. For a start, it made zero sense, but secondly, how can he have the gall to say that when his own attitude to the league is so dismissive and he has the platform for that to reach people?

And as I've said many times before, he never offers any insight whatsoever. I just don't get what he offers.
I'm in complete agreement with you. You put it both more eloquently and more politely than I did!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Scarlets very impressive today
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RTE website has the pro14 as one 14 team league table. As a taxpayer and licence holder, I am appalled.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I like it like that...