Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by blockhead »

Yep. Round 20 last season. Including a win in the RDS. That's 4 Pro14 wins in a row for Zebre. Benetton have won 4 out of the last 5 games in the Pro14. The only defeat in that run? at home to Zebre!
Benetton look really good under Crowley, they looked like they expected to win away to Dragons last night.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Doesn't everyone?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

johng wrote:Doesn't everyone?
Dragons were 1/2 to win.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Tough station for Jackman. An Irish coach in Wales isn't going to be long getting it in the neck from the fanz if things don't go well.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Week 2:

Friday 7th Sep
7:35pm Glasgow v Munster Premier Sports/Eir Sport
7:35pm Ulster v Edinburgh Premier Sports/Eir Sport

Saturday 8th Sep
3pm Dragons v Southern Kings Premier Sports/Eir Sport
5:15pm Connacht v Zebre Premier Sports/TG4
5:30pm Ospreys v Cheetahs Premier Sports/S4C
7:35pm Scarlets v Leinster Premier Sports/Eir Sport/TG4
7:35pm Benetton v Cardiff Blues Free Sports
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

tomthefan wrote:Tough station for Jackman. An Irish coach in Wales isn't going to be long getting it in the neck from the fanz if things don't go well.
Jackman has always seemed like a good guy, I want him to do well as an ex-Leinster and Ireland player, I am rooting for him.

If I knew nothing of him and just went on what I saw of the Dragons last season then I would think that he had failed to make a team of them. Obviously they don't have the quality that is pretty evident but they also lacked what every team needs a bit of heart, they never looked like they were bothered, they always seemed to throw the towel in first chance they got. It is probably a culture he inherited but he needed to sort that bit out last season imo and then build on that this year.

I did not see any of their game at the weekend so maybe they did play well and kept playing till the end. I hope he can get them going the improving performances of the Italian teams and Edinburgh, three teams who have historically lacked quality and also usually the desired levels of effort has made things tougher for him.

In other news Kyle Godwin looks like he will do some serious damage for Connacht this season he cut Glasgow open a few times.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

neill_m wrote:Week 2:

Friday 7th Sep
7:35pm Glasgow v Munster Premier Sports/Eir Sport
7:35pm Ulster v Edinburgh Premier Sports/Eir Sport

Saturday 8th Sep
3pm Dragons v Southern Kings Premier Sports/Eir Sport
5:15pm Connacht v Zebre Premier Sports/TG4
5:30pm Ospreys v Cheetahs Premier Sports/S4C
7:35pm Scarlets v Leinster Premier Sports/Eir Sport/TG4
7:35pm Benetton v Cardiff Blues Free Sports
What sh1te scheduling by Pro14 - two Ireland-Scotland games head-to-head against each other on the Friday. Could either of the Munster or Ulster games not be played on Saturday - say the 3pm slot when they could only competing against Dragons-Southern Kings
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

The welsh discussing the irish "probelm" in the pro14. Not playing our star players to death.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/p06kcswb

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BOD is GOD!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

RavenhillRaider wrote:The welsh discussing the irish "probelm" in the pro14. Not playing our star players to death.

I listened to this earlier with half an ear and I think they were pretty balanced in their discussion (unlike the headline) with the general conclusion we have things right.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

domhnallj wrote:
RavenhillRaider wrote:The welsh discussing the irish "probelm" in the pro14. Not playing our star players to death.

I listened to this earlier with half an ear and I think they were pretty balanced in their discussion (unlike the headline) with the general conclusion we have things right.
+1
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Off the ball and BBC Rugby union pods were also commenting on the Irish "problem" in the league mainly how it lets fans down as we want to see the "stars" don't know about you guys but I love the squad rotation and love seeing younger lads or old stagers like Bent, Fardy etc getting runs of games and pushing the "stars" for their places. If this didn't happen we wouldn't have Lamour, Carberry, Leavy, Porter, J Ryan all stepping up at a grand slam level.

I fail to see how we disrespected the league or Cardiff with our selection, we got a bonus point win away from home yes it was lucky but there were few ref quibbles and it showed incredible strength in depth.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TerenureJim wrote:Off the ball and BBC Rugby union pods were also commenting on the Irish "problem" in the league mainly how it lets fans down as we want to see the "stars" don't know about you guys but I love the squad rotation and love seeing younger lads or old stagers like Bent, Fardy etc getting runs of games and pushing the "stars" for their places. If this didn't happen we wouldn't have Lamour, Carberry, Leavy, Porter, J Ryan all stepping up at a grand slam level.

I fail to see how we disrespected the league or Cardiff with our selection, we got a bonus point win away from home yes it was lucky but there were few ref quibbles and it showed incredible strength in depth.
+1 to a lot of that.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The irish "problem" as they call it, is their problem. There is no problem fielding whatever team we want if the end result is a trophy.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Simple fact is we have to blood the youngsters in the early rounds or they won't be ready during the 6N and we won't get into the pointy end of the league.

As our last manager demonstrated.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

In Leinsters case we've the best academy in the league. Of course we use it, if they had it they'd use it too.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

fourthirtythree wrote:Simple fact is we have to blood the youngsters in the early rounds or they won't be ready during the 6N and we won't get into the pointy end of the league.

As our last manager demonstrated.
I'd go further and argue that the league was founded with the idea of giving younger lads more game time so they'd be ready to step up to euro and international rugby. Playing front liners week in week out isn't what this league was set up for and should never be what it's about.

I'd rather see youngbloods getting a chance than 75% fit stars getting flogged in September, let's never get like the prem flogging lads in bloody pre season
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:
I'd go further and argue that the league was founded with the idea of giving younger lads more game time

It absolutely wasn't. It was founded as a replacement for the standalone Interprovincial Championship and Scottish Irish competition (in Ireland and Scotland), a level between the Welsh Premiership and the European Cup (in Wales) and as a way of restarting the district sides (in Scotland). In every countries case it was tasked with providing a level of competition to international players that wasn't available in their respective domestic leagues. The idea of giving younger lads more game time wasn't on the radar. It was only when EOS established enough control to regularly withdraw international players from their provinces in the aftermath of the 2003 RWC that the necessity of selecting younger players by the Irish provinces came to pass.

I don't know what Whits has to do with it either by the way
I have Bumbleflex
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

All home wins this week.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Week 3: