Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by sunshiner1 »

With Henderson out injured and a rack of other forwards could Ulster make the argument for a medical joker? I know they got Nagle but if they are to qualify for the european cup getting a big bruiser saffer or someone on a short-term contract would be a good thing.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

sunshiner1 wrote:With Henderson out injured and a rack of other forwards could Ulster make the argument for a medical joker? I know they got Nagle but if they are to qualify for the european cup getting a big bruiser saffer or someone on a short-term contract would be a good thing.
We don't have the cash to pay one so unless IRFU sponsor one it is a no.
Nagle injured at present, it is hard to guess who will even play second row this weekend.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

sunshiner1 wrote:With Henderson out injured and a rack of other forwards could Ulster make the argument for a medical joker? I know they got Nagle but if they are to qualify for the european cup getting a big bruiser saffer or someone on a short-term contract would be a good thing.
Nagle in theory is a medical joker signing as he was brought in to cover the injury enforced retirements of 2 locks - Pete Browne and Jean Deysel. They have 3 fit locks (Treadwell, Nagle and Dalton) for Friday, but would need them to stay fit for the foreseeable with Henderson and Rea out for 2-3 months and AOC out for a further 3 weeks.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

The latest episode of the left wing with Nordi is a good listen.

He is pretty firm on the fact he made the decision to leave because he was not just happy to be a number in the Leinster bubble, he still has massive ambition and belief in himself to play for Ireland regularly. He seems to have a very good work ethic and when he talks highly of Dan McFarland and Jared Payne it is not just lip service he is paying them. McFarland reminds him of Schmidt in the detail of all the little basics he demands, the obvious things that are easy to do but are often overlooked. Payne he says was like a coach as a teammate and the transition has so far been seamless. He talks a lot about standards, it seems to be what is driving the Ulster team now, working hard and driving standards. No more free rides for anyone. Leinster are his boyhood team the team he wanted to play with but once he decided he had to leave for his career he was of the mindset that you can't look back so yeah he had a great last few months with Leinster playing a big role the the double success but he never really doubted his choice because that is not who he is, he made a decision that was the best decision for his career at the time and he was going to be committed to that come what may because that is how he operates. He was very complimentary of the young talent coming though at Ulster and name checked four or five of the young lads, he is interested in them he is not just there for a pay cheque. He said that the opportunity to go to Ulster as a someone who might be considered a leader was an absolute privilege he had no other word to better describe the situation. The players and fans could not have been more welcoming to him, they have been very inclusive but he had no worries about that because John Cooney had told him that the people were brilliant up there.

He sounds like a very intelligent level headed young fella. Glad he is going well with Ulster. They seem to have taken massive steps in a small space of time especially culture wise. A few more bodies in the squad and the younger guys with more experience bodes well for them going forward.
Last edited by OTT on December 19th, 2018, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Double post
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

I see Nagle has been declared fit for this weekend, and also Dalton for the bench
So starting locks will probably be Treadwell and Nagle, Dalton bench and they will have to stay fit for quite a few matches.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Team seems to have come together a lot better in past few weeks, McFarland seems to have forwards going well as a unit and Paynes defensive system also is starting to shape up.
We don't have massive cover though in any positions and all could go rapidly downhill with a few injuries to key players
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Awful, awful first half of rugby. Ulster lead 7-3.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

bloody lucky not to be down to 14 for the remainder.
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Besty strides in like a boss and takes over. What a player.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Somehow, Ulster are making a decent fist of this season. Not playing great but winning games nonetheless.
Munster as usual were robbed by the ref.
Why do all refs hate Munster?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Can't see how Hanrahan gets picked before Johnston. Munster much improved once he came on.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

blockhead wrote:Munster as usual were robbed by the ref.
Why do all refs hate Munster?
I've only seen him twice, does he only referee the Ulster Munster fixture?
No reason was specified.

desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Addison is a good player; but without Hendo I can't see Ulster troubling Racing. Henry Speight needs a kick in the arse. Just cashing his cheque, he aint the player I saw for Oz vs us in Lansdowne road a few years back - that day he was a handful if I remember.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

desperado wrote:Addison is a good player; but without Hendo I can't see Ulster troubling Racing. Henry Speight needs a kick in the arse. Just cashing his cheque, he aint the player I saw for Oz vs us in Lansdowne road a few years back - that day he was a handful if I remember.
That was HS’s last game. Back to Aus for SR. Ulster won tonight but it was pretty ugly
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

tomthefan wrote:Can't see how Hanrahan gets picked before Johnston. Munster much improved once he came on.
Hanrahan should be starting.
No wait, Carbery.
No actually, Bleyendaal.
Wait, make that Carbery.
No no, Hanrahan.
No! Johnston.
Ah jaysus, maybe keatley?

Nah... We obviously just need a new 10
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Is Keatley still there?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

He is indeed. Currently in Munster we have great weakness in depth at out half.
No reason was specified.

Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

tomthefan wrote:He is indeed. Currently in Munster we have great weakness in depth at out half.
Any more 10's in Munster and you'll win the Strictly Glitterball!
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Looking at getting tickets for the annual Ulster stuffing at the RDS. However on Ticketmaster the ends are sold out, is that right? Will they release more?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!